Hard Drive Desktops

edwinblaw

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
I have had TWO (2) 3 TB GoFlex Desktop fail. They promptly replaced the first and after the that failed (just a few months), no reply to my emails and phone calls never gets to a person for help.

A Western Digital 2 TB I formerly used for Time Machine backup was replaced by the Seagate and is still used as once a week second BU .. and STILL WORKS!!

Easy to jump to an obvious conclusion, but .. much prefer expert opinion.

Now read of Samsung which I am not familiar with and would really appreciate someone who has this expertise guiding me.

I have some 300 GB of photos I can't afford to lose.

Thank you,

Ed Law

Imac 27" Intel i5, 3.1 Ghz, 1G graphics, 16 GB DD3 mem. OS 10.7.4

Not sure what you are asking for exactly, but if you are wondering if Sammy makes good drives, then the answer is yes.
During the floods Samsung had a few QC issues with their F4 line, but my understanding is that they have recovered from that. The 2TB F4 is the single most popular 2TB drive on the market. Generally low failure rate, quiet, good for RAID setups, and decent performance for a 5900rpm drive. Before some of the more modern 3TB HDDs came out I was seriously considering a few F4's for my future home server, but now the 3TB Seagate drives are looking to be the way to go (their internal drives tend to be better than their external drives for some reason).

If you already have an external enclosure you can open it up and replace the failed drive with a standard desktop drive.

edwinblaw

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Sorry for my lack of clarity .. I will not use another Seagate as two strikes is enough. My only failures in over 20 years of PCs and Macs.

I was looking for comparison of WD and maybe LaCie when I saw a favorable comment about Samsung.

I'm not into Server or multi-disk array although several friends are. 1TB in iMac with 3TB TimeMachine hourly BU and a separate 2 or 3 TB for weekly will do fine. I used a Cloud server for several years but when I needed a restore, it was difficult .. so ..

Thanks for the input,

4745454b

Titan
The 1TB F3 is legendary. The F4s are also quite good. I haven't run one myself but I would.

I also used to run 3 seagates in my machine, all from the 7200.10 line. I still run two, I had to retire the 500GB I had. Its now doing backup duty. It works, but will randomly click a single time. Figured I better pull it before she blows....

Seagate's 3TB GoFlex and WD's 3TB My Books both us MBR partitioning. The way they circumvent the 2TiB limit of standard MBR regimes is to use 4KB LBAs rather than 512-bytes.

As for Lacie ...

Seagate and Lacie Announce Completion of the Acquisition of a Controlling Interest in Lacie:
http://www.seagate.com/about/newsroom/press-releases/seagate-lacie-completion-acquisition-controlling-interest-master-pr/