Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Western Digital
  • Disk Management
  • HD
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
August 29, 2012 1:09:58 PM

Hi... I just got a new pc, with a 3tb wd. I installed windows7, but in disk management I can only see 2tb... the bios can see 3tb tho.
What can I do? When i installed w7, it didnt ask me if i wanted MBR or GPT partition... from what I understand, I need the hd to be GPT to see 3tb in windows... but how?

Is there a way to convert the HD to GPT now? My problem is that the hd is the main bootable drive... i read its easy to convert mbr to gpt in 2nd drives but how do you do it on the main one?
I just installed W7 so i dont care if i lose all data on it, i just want to be able to access all 3tb.
Or is there another way to be able to access the 1tb left I cant see?

thank you!

More about : 3tb 2tb

August 29, 2012 1:27:32 PM

I think I read somewhere that windows has a 2tb limit but there are motherboard utilities that can break the limit. Depending on your motherboard it can break the limit. If you can please post your motherboard make and model.
August 29, 2012 2:08:16 PM

Asrock h61m... thanks!
Related resources
August 29, 2012 3:25:13 PM

Hello, visit the page below and verify your motherboard is in the compatible list. I have seen your motherboard in the list but double check to make sure. There is a download button for the 3tb unlocker near the top of the page.

http://www.asrock.com/feature/3TB/index.asp
a b G Storage
August 29, 2012 3:48:20 PM

sauzer said:
Hi... I just got a new pc, with a 3tb wd. I installed windows7, but in disk management I can only see 2tb... the bios can see 3tb tho.
What can I do? When i installed w7, it didnt ask me if i wanted MBR or GPT partition... from what I understand, I need the hd to be GPT to see 3tb in windows... but how?

Is there a way to convert the HD to GPT now? My problem is that the hd is the main bootable drive... i read its easy to convert mbr to gpt in 2nd drives but how do you do it on the main one?
I just installed W7 so i dont care if i lose all data on it, i just want to be able to access all 3tb.
Or is there another way to be able to access the 1tb left I cant see?

thank you!

Your best option would be to purchase a smaller drive i.e 500GB and transfer the contents off the 3TB to the 500GB drive.
In order to boot windows 7 or Vista on a 3TB+ drive, your system will need to support UEFI.

With the 500GB drive as the system drive, you can now format the 3TB drive as GPT. If you have existing data on the 3TB drive you would need to format the drive first.

Hope this helps.
a b G Storage
August 29, 2012 4:28:41 PM

So, the real question is, can you wipe the drive and start over?
If you can wipe the drive, reinstall windows, and follow these instructions: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...

If you can't, you should be able to go into disk management (control panel->administrative tools->computer management->disk management) and create a secondary 1TB partition in the unallocated space. You'll have to deal with having the drive split in two, but it makes all the space usable.

(sorry for the edits, had to correct myself)
a c 106 G Storage
August 29, 2012 6:59:51 PM

Don't try something the it wasn't design to. Windows NEVER design to boot from GPT... Although there are ways around it, dont waste your time.

Get a NEW SSD 60GB or 120GB.

This would give your system a real boost