P8P67 Pro Memory Voltage

ca-duck

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Talk on various message boards seems to suggest that using memory that runs above 1.5v can produce problems on the P8P67 Pro.

As this will be my second time building a system, I am still very much a novice and appreciate any insight and wisdom.

Thank you so much!

1.5v is the official rated RAM spec for the Sandy Bridge CPU. The useful range is actually 1.35v-1.6v while still maintaining Intel's warranty. Running 1.65v RAM is out of specification and Intel will not honor the warranty if they determine that the voltage damaged the CPU.

Just buy 1.5v RAM and you will be fine.

D

Deleted member 217926

I can say for sure 1.6v will work fine as that is what mine is. But Leaps is right keep it below 1.6v and you will be fine.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi everyone,

I have been considering purchasing an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe board and have been researching this very point.
When you look on the ASUS website at the tested RAM modules for this board, most are listed at 1.65 v, a few at 1.35 - 1.5 v but not many.

E-mailed ASUS asking why they weren't certifying more 1.5 v RAM modules, since the DIMM channels are spec'd out at 1.5 v, and their response was they do have some 1.5 v RAM modules on their list - not very definitive and not helpful.

Called Corsair and discussed which RAM modules were optimal for these new Sandy Bridge CPU's and Motherboards, and they much more strongly recommended the newer 1.5 v DDR-3 Modules. Of course they have the older Dominator 1.65 sticks, and the newer Vengeance 1.5 sticks but urged me to purchase 1.5 v modules since they were designed for overclocking at a lower voltage. The price is about 2/3 rds the higher voltage modules.

I think their advice is good, and shouldn't be biased since they have no economic incentive to recommend the lower cost RAM modules.

Latest posts