Better video card than nvidia GeForce 9500 GT

fcherney

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Just built an AMD Athlon II x 4 630 with 4 gig ram. Using Windows 7 pro 64 bit
Tests indicate NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT is weakest link slowing the unit.
Mainly home office use with few games.What's your recommendation for the best video card for this system?
Many thanks from a senior struggling to learn!
Fred

Solution
I'm running a HD5770 at that resolution now. My games aren't the latest FPS titles, but they all run very well. If ~$160 isn't a problem, that's probably the way to go. For $115, even a HD5750 would do well for you in most titles, especially if you're willing to turn down a setting or two.

randomkid

Distinguished

Most important question, sir, is what is your monitor resolution?

The 9500GT will cope with a 1360x768 in many games but not in highest setting but if you got a 1920x1080, you will be better off with an HD5770 if it is within your budget ($150-$190.)

4745454b has it right. If your system is fast enough, no change is needed. If you're looking for specific improvements, relevant information includes the brand/model of PSU (so we know what it can handle without shutting down or burning), the resolution of your monitor, the games you want to play, and your budget.

Edit: Oh, and the size of your case. If you used a slim case, for example, that puts a definite limit on the strongest card that will physically fit.

fcherney

Distinguished
May 24, 2010

OCZ StealthXStream 700W - Active PFC, 120 mm fan(OCZ700SXS) - 2 power plugs for quad core - active PFC conditioner.

After spending a fair buck on the system, I'd be foolish to worry about a few more dollars for a video card. Figure it will be around for a couple of years (I hope)

Thanks for the help!
Fred

randomkid

Distinguished

What is your monitor resolution?

fcherney

Distinguished
May 24, 2010

1920 x 1080 28 inch I-INC

Just in case, I'm also trying to find driver for Windows 7 as the installation disk specifies Vista.

Looking at 5770 and 5850. Any recommendations?

Fred

I'm running a HD5770 at that resolution now. My games aren't the latest FPS titles, but they all run very well. If ~$160 isn't a problem, that's probably the way to go. For $115, even a HD5750 would do well for you in most titles, especially if you're willing to turn down a setting or two.

Solution

fcherney

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Many thanks. Seems Visiontek 900300 Radeon HD 5770 has a lifetime warrantee at $238 Canadian dollars up here. Looks pretty good to me.

Really appreciate the help from you all.

Keep well!

Fred

4745454b

Titan
I thought I did? The op didn't come in here complaining that X new game won't run, or his old ones won't play on his shiny new 24" monitor. He said at first that the WEI showed the GPU to have the lowest score. (he has since changed his post, now he claims "tests show it to be") So what if the GPU has the lowest WEI? If it does what he wants, oh well. It could be a 1.8, or 2.4 or whatever number windows experience decides to hand out. If it does what he wants, it doesn't matter what the number is.

It doesn't make any sense to me to upgrade something just because X score is 3, while everything else is 5.9. He obviously disagrees, but its his money, its up to him.

randomkid

Distinguished
^Oh... but that was about 9 posts ago when you posted "Another sane person lost to a benchmark. Oh well".
In between these posts he did mentioned that he got 1920x1080 and even without him telling I can understand why he would want an upgrade because the 9500GT will struggle even in lowest setting on that resolution.
Never mind my comment, I just thought that you have another GPU recommendation in mind.
Cheers...