shorty

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002

I just upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro and my Netgear Wireless Music
center died. After spending hours on the phone to India with both MS
and Netgear I switched to a Ethernet connection. Still did not work.

Problem seems to be the firewall. In trying the turn the firewall off I
get a message "Cannot start ICS service.". In checking the knowledge
base this problem is reported with a fix that looks complicated to a
non-tech guy like me.. I'll call MS support tommorow to try to get this
resolved.

Shorty

shorty

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002

Shorty wrote:
> I just upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro and my Netgear Wireless Music
> center died. After spending hours on the phone to India with both MS
> and Netgear I switched to a Ethernet connection. Still did not work.
>
> Problem seems to be the firewall. In trying the turn the firewall off I
> get a message "Cannot start ICS service.". In checking the knowledge
> base this problem is reported with a fix that looks complicated to a
> non-tech guy like me.. I'll call MS support tommorow to try to get this
> resolved.
>
> Shorty
MS support walked me through changing the registry which fixed the
problem so my networks runs again. The tech told me that there are
problems when upgrading a vendor installed windows xp home to a retail
upgrade to windows xp pro.