Need a capable 1080p HDMI card

Jsel21

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I need a card that will be able to run games like cysis on high settings pretty smoothly on a 1080p HDTV (somewhere in the 60-70 fps range). Any recomendations? my board can support 3-way SLI and quad CrossfireX. Will i need multiple gpu's or should i just get a single high end card?

heres the link to my mobo, it also can support just 2-way SLI and 2-way Crossfire right?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5526903&CatId=4070

Solution
You would be better off with a single more powerful card, witch that budget i owuld go for either a 5870, or gtx 470.

the 5870 would offer better performance, but is at the high end of your budget. a 470 would still offer good performance but at a lower price.

Jsel21

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
haha ok bring me down to earth here.. I'm willing to spend around $400. My hdtv is around a 42" i believe..

how is it that the xbox is able to play games like farcry 2 with ease on hdtvs and PCs cannot??

mr2shim

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Well, Crysis is a game in it's own. Also, usually consoles can't run anything above 720p a lot of games can barley pull that. They do a lower quality then upscale it to 720p or 1080p. It's not true 1080p. Then they don't run more than x2 AA with no AF. They also run locked FPS. Usually around 30.

If you want to run Crysis @ 60-70fps on your 1080p TV you'd be looking at a GTX 480 or a Radeon 5970

Jsel21

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
How many are you looking to buy?

Well my price range is around $400. Would it be better to buy a single high end card, or multiple mid range to low end cards? I'm not sure what the ideal configuration would be for my bugdet and what i want to do. and yes, im willing to compromise my origianl hopes of crysis @ 60-70 fps on my flatscreen ha..

welshmousepk

Distinguished
You would be better off with a single more powerful card, witch that budget i owuld go for either a 5870, or gtx 470.

the 5870 would offer better performance, but is at the high end of your budget. a 470 would still offer good performance but at a lower price.

Solution

You can not compare games played on PC vs the same games on a console. Trade offs are made in visual fidelity for the limited resources that define the consoles. Console games don't have visual settings, the game is tuned to play on 1080p and whatever visual settings consistently provide a decent framerate, are the ones the developer hard codes. Setting the visual settings to high on a game such as Far Cry2 on a PC and comparing them to the settings for the console is just not possible. The PC will consistently give the highest visual experience if you have the hardware to accommodate them.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
^ not even that good techgeek.

Console games run at 720p (1280x720) which is considerably lower res than 1080p, and massively noticeable. when you take that into account AS WELL as the reduced visual settings.... well consoles just don't seem like a good choice.

Its also a myth that a good gaming PC costs a tonne. for the same price as a Ps3 you can build a pc that will outperform it. funny that.