Sign in with
Your question

$1500 Video Editing and Gaming

Last response: in Systems
July 2, 2010 8:51:13 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to build a system for video editing and some gaming. I've actually been intending to buy a Mac Pro, but Apple still hasn't released an update, so I'm hoping this system will get me by in the meantime with video editing (and then serve as my gaming comp if and when I get that Mac...

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: End of July
BUDGET RANGE: Around $1500

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Avid Video Editing, Photoshop and After Effects work, Gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitors

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, Amazon, Fry's

PARTS PREFERENCES:

CPU AND MOBO:
Core i7 930 Processor - $290 (NEWEGG)
Gigabyte X58A UD3R Motherboard - $210

Purchased together from Fry's for: $420

OR AsusP6X58D-E

POWER SUPPLY:
Thermaltake 850 W Power Supply - $120

MEMORY:
Crucial 6GB Triple Channel Memory - $165

HARD DRIVE:
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB - $90

VIDEO CARD:
Gigabyte GForce 470 - $310 (NEWEGG)

OPTICAL:
Asus DVD Burner Optical Drive - $50

CASE:
Antec 300 Case - $55

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit OEM- $140 (AMAZON)

$1350

9% TAX: $121

$1471

OVERCLOCKING: Not right away...need it to be stable for work...if I get a Mac for the editing and graphics stuff, I might start playing around with that.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: So I'm basing this build mainly off of the lastest Enthusiast build from Tom's. I know ATI Cards are the better value now, but I edit on Avid Media Composer and they "officially" only support Nvidia cards, so I'm playing it safe there. My biggest questions are with the Motherboard (the Gigabyte vs. Asus, with the Gigabyte seeming to be the better value) and the case (I'm concerned about the size of the NVidia cards in a midtower and the heat they throw). I'll hear any suggestions on case, but definitely prefer something less flashy and functional, and trying to avoid a full tower. Definitely willing to go a bit higher in price on the case for something better...

Thanks, any and all help is much appreciated!

Dave
July 2, 2010 9:05:19 PM

This is a very good selection of parts congrats. :D 

I tend to avoid thermaltake for psu's thir toughpower series are good but the others aren't if you haven't selected a toughpower one I'd get a corsair or antec.

Just a question can you give detailed info on the ram?

The antec 300 is a good case for the price and will do for your needs if you want better get a lian li pc-p50 beautiful and good quality. Expensive though.
m
l
Related resources
July 3, 2010 4:43:58 PM

somebody has suggested some very good cases .

A good case is very important to overall system cooling .

I would like to suggest to you this case . This case' size is big enough to use the newer mobo's (easier to assemble system) and leave good room for cooling .
This case has 4 fans . 1-front, 1-side ,1-top ,1-rear to move air thru your system.
the side fan blows directly onto the area that houses the video card/s .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Your new system looks quite good . You mite consider the psu that somebody suggested , is a very good psu and would meet any future needs for power.

GL/HF with your new build :) 
m
l
July 3, 2010 6:40:33 PM

I'm definitely going to upgrade to the larger Corsair PSU, great suggestion. Those are all great cases, but I'm now leaning towards this Coolermaster one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Definitely has enough space it seems, and I also like that you can run cables behind the motherboard easily. The ability to switch off LED lights (arguably the least important thing to look for in a case, I know) is kind of nice too. Here's a review:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cooler_master_c...

What do you think? Thanks again for your help...

Dave
m
l
July 3, 2010 7:09:20 PM

It's surely a good case if you like it go for it :D 
m
l
July 3, 2010 7:57:11 PM

I 2nd somebody answer
GL/HF
m
l