BFBC2 - GMA 4500 IGP - Quad8200 - Playable, or GPU upgrade?

real world

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
A buddy of mine recently bought BFBC2 for his PS3, and addicted. I've been telling him for years about the BF series for the PC, and now, he wants to migrate over, and play online with me on his PC. Here's the problem. This is his PC.

SPECS:
http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668601.php?rdr=v1752

sx2800-01r.jpg

Processor Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q82001 (2.33GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)7
Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)8
Memory 4096MB 800MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 2048MB Modules)9
Memory Capacity Expandable to 8GB
Hard Drive 640GB 7200RPM SATA hard drive3
Video Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X45009

My questions are, would the game run with that IGP? My guess is it might run, but wouldn't be playable. (as an aside, are there driver updates for these IGP's?)

Assuming he couldn't play with the x4500HD IGP, the PC does have a PCI Express slot, but at half height due to the compressed case size. What GPU (low profile correct?), would allow that game to run properly? Would said GPU + BFBC2 + Small case (poor cooling IMO) cause the PC to fry eggs (overheat)? All advice, or comments, are very much appreciated.

The one benefit is the Quad Core CPU. According to what I've read, and the experiences of my buds who play this game, having a Quad Core is huge with respect to playing BFBC2, versus a Duo Core.

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
To 4500HD won't even do lossless Blu-Ray playback, so video games is completely out of it's league.

Now depending the resolution of his monitor, a 5670 might not even do medium. I seriously recommend a 300W-400W PSU and get a 5770 which can pull medium-high settings depending on his monitor resolution of course.

Don't get a cheap PSU. Anything with a 80 Plus rating would suffice for good reliability.

It is true a quad core would have a large advantage over a dual core. Because BFBC2 is multi threaded and uses additional cores to handle Havok physics.

the specs are very good except PSU and Onboard video... :(

Get new case and move over all of the components to the new case...
Buy a new higher PSU and Graphic card... (is it possible?)

I don't know what is looked like inside the case...

Realistically, the answer is "No." That machine is not a gamer, and trying to turn it into one would be an exercise in wasting money. Your friend should anticipate spending $500-$600 if he wants to build a PC for playing games. This will leave the old one intact, able to handle the office-type applications for which it was apparently intended.

real world

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
Thanks for the replies fellas. That's pretty much what I figured. Just for fun though, I might install the game on his system, and see if it will run. I'll let you know how it plays out.

real world

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
I'm back with another question. Do you guys think that this card would allow for low setting play, in the above system? It would be paired with that Quad core CPU, and 4 gigs of RAM. Thoughts?

SAPPHIRE 100253HDMI Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102829&cm_re=sapphire_radeon_hd_4650-_-14-102-829-_-Product

If not, would one of the lesser 5xxx series low profile cards work better? I'm trying to see if there is a sub $100, low profile option. Thanks.

Don't even waste your time. Seriously. The Intel IGP will NOT run Bad Company 2.

Slimline GPUs are designed for use in Home Theater PCs, and not for gaming purposes. They're meant to be small, low heat output, and low energy use. None of those conjure performance. :) That looks like a beautiful office system, but it's not going to play games very well without a bigger case, PSU, and a good GPU as was stated before.

A HD4650 would possibly play it at lowered resolution and settings, but I don't think it would be "good enough" to enjoy it. A HD5570 would be an improvement, but still may not be good enough. I think you'd conclude that you'd wasted your money.

real world

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
I've personally got (my own custom build) an i5-750 with a Sapphire 5850. This is for my cousin who wants to try playing BFBC2 online with me. I'm merely trying to make the most, or work with, the PC he has. I've read users online state that the card I listed, the HD 4650, runs that for them smoothly, at medium settings, which is why I ask. I know there is a distinct difference in performance between duo core, and quad core processors, so my curiousity lies with whether or not this lesser card would be servicable, with the quad. Most of my friends who are experiencing laggy play, are using Duo Core CPU's. It might be worth a try anyway.

Keep in mind, an HD 4650 may run the game smooth at a very low resolution, but if you're pushing 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 it's just not going to work out. Now, at 1024x768.... LOL That's a different story.

So it all depends on the exact factors of how he's gaming. Do you know what resolution his monitor is?

I play BFBC2 as well (haven't for a while due to game crash bugs that they won't fix). My system runs the game flawlessly @ 1080p, however my local Cable Internet provider doesn't seem to have great bandwidth in the evenings. Therefore I can have anything from 100ms latency to 600ms latency depending on the evening, and the server I choose. And since BFBC2 doesn't show Pings (another bug) I can't tell until I join a game... :(

That could also contribute to "laggy" play.

real world

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
So under the circumstances, which card do you think would be the best option to play BFBC2, in this system?

The ATI Radeon HD 4650

The ATI Radeon HD 4670

The ATI Radeon HD 5570

IMO, the latter two would provide the best performance. The issue would be the load on the PSU, as well as the higher temps inside the smaller case, that would apply to the 4xxx series cards. What do you guys think?

FMFDOC84

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
I was running a 5570 in my Computer it ran at 19x1080 at high with 2x AA with no stutter( 41FPS). My specs are Phenom IIx925 2.8/ 8gb ddr3/ Ati 5570/ 530 PSU WIN7 64 Bit/ But I ended up Upgrading the PSU toa OCZ 700w w a Diamond 5870 and its blazing fast. SO in end its doable people say the 4670 is better than 5570 but I see maybe a few FPS difference between those two.

real world

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
Thanks again for the replies guys. Yeah, the issue with the 4670 is that I don't think it comes as a low-profile, or "half-height" card. The 5570 does. Also, the power drawn is important, since most of these slim-line, B&M bought PC's skimp on the PSU's. The 5570 idles at 9.7 watts, and has a max draw of 42 watts under load, according to it's specs.

candidatuo

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

Hi guys! Well, I own a HD 4650 and my monitor is a 1680x1050 LG. I am not able to play BFBC2 smoothly and I suspect the problem is the videocard, unless is, like you said Jerreece, the bugs they won't fix. I got an E8600 processor which I think is very good to handle the game.

To be more explicit, sometimes I see players without hands, walls are invisible but I can see what's inside the building......that's the sign that in the next 30 sec I will be kicked out and have to restart the PC. Not later than last night I had to restart the PC 5 times within 30 minutes. After that I was able to play without problems though. Still, not able to play rush mode at all (get the same sympthoms), only Squad Deathmatch.

To come back......I suspect is the video, so I'm going to buy a 1Gb one, not decided what yet.

thestrangebrew

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
If it's all just so he can try out the game on a pc vs console, you could try forcing dx9 on low/med settings with one of those cards and seeing how that works out. It won't be pretty, but you can prob get a feel for the game at least, which might motivate him to build a new budget rig for $500-600. My stepson is running an AMD 64 4400+ and an 8800gt. He's in dx9 mode on low settings and the game runs smooth, just isn't pretty, which is fine by him.