Sign in with
Your question

What do you think about this build list?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
July 2, 2010 9:36:03 PM

Hi all:

My last computer is almost 4 years old, still works fine, but is beginning to show a bit of slowness when handling these ever-larger images that I work with as an amateur photographer.

Mainly, my needs are in photography, graphic design, and some video. I want speeeeed more than anything. I'm not a gamer, but I dig the computers!

I'm also not an assembly expert, last time I built my PC I ended up having to get some help. Probably will this time too, so I hope you can look over the list and tell me if there are any incompatibilities. Or suggestions. (I'm in NYC, btw, if there are any guys who would help in exchange for some $)

I have an SSD for the boot drive, a VelociRaptor for programs, so Photoshop and InDesign can load quickly, and a standard 2TB Caviar to hold all my photos.

I'm thinking I need 12gb of RAM to really speed things up, as I often work on images a few hundred megs in size.

I also like a lot of USB ports and I think this MB is adequate, but barely. And, I want to make sure I can run this for the next four years, so I want to make sure I am covered with USD 3.0 and esata 6gb.

While I may want to over-clock, I don't need to be at the bleeding edge.

I was going to get a BluRay writer, but some of the comments indicate maybe not a good idea.

Price is not irrelevant, but not the main factor either. Here's the build list, from newegg.

Thermaltake Spedo Advance Package VI90001W2Z Black 0.8 mm SECC Steel ATX Full Tower Computer

ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

GIGABYTE GV-R485OC-1GH Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3-US 1000W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit
Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (Boot Drive)

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX 600GB 10000 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" (For Programs)

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (For Data)

LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS-324-98

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

More about : build list

July 3, 2010 4:13:15 PM

My program files are currently about 50gb, plus whatever they dump in the windoze directories. But I could stick only the big slow programs like Pshop in a bigger SSD drive, currently I have a Raptor partitioned with 8gb of these 'big' programs. Thanks for the help, and I'll switch the video card.
!