What type of grad filter for bright landscapes

All,

Looking to buy a graduated filter of some type to give me a little more
latitude when taking well lit landscapes - specifically beach and mountain
scenes.

Is there any particular recommendation for this ?

Camera is a Nikon D70 with a variety of 77m diameter lenses. I'm thinking of
getting a Cokin filter holder and just dropping a -2 Garduated ND filter
into that.
12 answers Last reply
More about what type grad filter bright landscapes

    adm wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > Looking to buy a graduated filter of some type to give me a little more
    > latitude when taking well lit landscapes - specifically beach and mountain
    > scenes.
    >
    > Is there any particular recommendation for this ?
    >
    > Camera is a Nikon D70 with a variety of 77m diameter lenses. I'm thinking of
    > getting a Cokin filter holder and just dropping a -2 Garduated ND filter
    > into that.

    The Cokin holders are good, for the price, and much cheaper than the
    better square filter holders. But the Cokin grads are not quite
    "neutral" in color. A lot of people use Cokin holders and better brands
    of filters. I used to use the excellent HiTech square/rectangular
    filters. Now I do two exposures and blend them, for superior results
    without the headache of dust magnet plastic filters.

    Lisa

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:08:30 -0000, "adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:

    >All,
    >
    >Looking to buy a graduated filter of some type to give me a little more
    >latitude when taking well lit landscapes - specifically beach and mountain
    >scenes.
    >
    >Is there any particular recommendation for this ?
    >
    >Camera is a Nikon D70 with a variety of 77m diameter lenses. I'm thinking of
    >getting a Cokin filter holder and just dropping a -2 Garduated ND filter
    >into that.

    Have you cosidered duplicate images (obviously tripod mounted and a
    static (nothing easily seen affected by breeze or movement) scene)?
    Perhaps auto bracketing a stop or two depending on the difference in
    lighting, then alligning them as layers in an imaging program such as
    Photoshop. This allows for a lot more latitude of graduation between
    layers. I have done it a few times and am very happy with the results.

    As far as Cokin goes, they are good for starters but you must be
    careful with them because they are basically plastic they scratch
    easily. As you get more proficient you can sell off the Cokin and get
    good glass filters like those in www.singh-ray.com. Also keep in mind
    that the "A" series only fit smaller lens thread sizes (up to 55mm
    I believe) so if you get a lens with a larger thread sizes you will
    need to upgrade to the Cokin "P" size which fits up to 82mm.
    Regards,
    Gary Hendricks
    www.basic-digital-photography.com

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:17:16 GMT, no_email@please_post.net (ZONED!)
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:08:30 -0000, "adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:
    >
    >>All,
    >>
    >>Looking to buy a graduated filter of some type to give me a little more
    >>latitude when taking well lit landscapes - specifically beach and mountain
    >>scenes.
    >>
    >>Is there any particular recommendation for this ?
    >>
    >>Camera is a Nikon D70 with a variety of 77m diameter lenses. I'm thinking of
    >>getting a Cokin filter holder and just dropping a -2 Garduated ND filter
    >>into that.
    >
    >Have you cosidered duplicate images (obviously tripod mounted and a
    >static (nothing easily seen affected by breeze or movement) scene)?
    >Perhaps auto bracketing a stop or two depending on the difference in
    >lighting, then alligning them as layers in an imaging program such as
    >Photoshop. This allows for a lot more latitude of graduation between
    >layers. I have done it a few times and am very happy with the results.

    This is my preferred solution. It takes a little longer than popping a
    filter on but it gives you much more control.

    You can also add grad filters with just one image (if that's all you
    took, or the landscape was moving...). Duplicate the image layer,
    create a mask on the duplicated layer and add a graduated fill to the
    mask. Now, select the image part of the duplicated layer and make
    whatever artistic modification is required (including
    Image/Adjustments/Photo Filter)

    --
    Owamanga!

    In article <41C46EB7.2DC003B9@lisahorton.net>, Lisa091704@lisahorton.net
    says...
    > Now I do two exposures and blend them, for superior results
    > without the headache of dust magnet plastic filters.

    How do you determine your two exposure settings? Do you meter one off
    the sky and one off the landscape? Take an averaged metering across the
    scene and then plus or minus some number of stops?

    --
    Charles Jones (charlesj@frii.com)
    Loveland, Colorado

    Charles Jones wrote:

    > In article <41C46EB7.2DC003B9@lisahorton.net>, Lisa091704@lisahorton.net
    > says...
    > > Now I do two exposures and blend them, for superior results
    > > without the headache of dust magnet plastic filters.
    >
    > How do you determine your two exposure settings? Do you meter one off
    > the sky and one off the landscape? Take an averaged metering across the
    > scene and then plus or minus some number of stops?

    I do the first, I make an exposure that will not overexpose the sky, and
    I make an exposure that will not underexpose the shadows or dark areas.
    I feel that is the only way to get the best results. Any sort of
    bracketing or arbitrary plus/minus is little better than guessing, as
    one may be dealing with a dynamic range that is a little more than the
    camera can do, or a LOT more than the camera can do. Each situation
    requires a different "spread" between the highlight and shadow exposures
    in order to yield the highest quality results.

    Lisa

    Why use a grad filter on landscapes at all? If you are shooting
    landscapes, shoot 2 or 3 exposures to capture everything. Then blend
    them in Photoshop. This way you won't get anything like trees with
    different exposures above and below the horizon/grad line.

    Clyde

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:35:24 GMT, Clyde <lughclyde@attbi.comedy>
    wrote:

    >Why use a grad filter on landscapes at all? If you are shooting
    >landscapes, shoot 2 or 3 exposures to capture everything. Then blend
    >them in Photoshop. This way you won't get anything like trees with
    >different exposures above and below the horizon/grad line.
    >
    >Clyde
    Just curious if you read the whole thread before answering.

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:01:29 -0700, Charles Jones <charlesj@frii.com>
    wrote:

    >How do you determine your two exposure settings? Do you meter one off
    >the sky and one off the landscape?

    Yes, that will allow you to easily reproduce any standard grad filter
    effect. Since my camera will auto bracket, I find an average and set
    steps to one or two stops. This of course depends on the amount of
    difference needed. If you have the media, shoot more than one auto
    bracket. If you use photoshop or similar you can easily adjyust each
    image more perfectly before sandwiching them as layers.

    "Owamanga" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:17:16 GMT, no_email@please_post.net (ZONED!)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:08:30 -0000, "adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:
    >>
    >>>All,
    >>>
    >>>Looking to buy a graduated filter of some type to give me a little more
    >>>latitude when taking well lit landscapes - specifically beach and
    >>>mountain
    >>>scenes.
    >>>
    >>>Is there any particular recommendation for this ?
    >>>
    >>>Camera is a Nikon D70 with a variety of 77m diameter lenses. I'm thinking
    >>>of
    >>>getting a Cokin filter holder and just dropping a -2 Garduated ND filter
    >>>into that.
    >>
    >>Have you cosidered duplicate images (obviously tripod mounted and a
    >>static (nothing easily seen affected by breeze or movement) scene)?
    >>Perhaps auto bracketing a stop or two depending on the difference in
    >>lighting, then alligning them as layers in an imaging program such as
    >>Photoshop. This allows for a lot more latitude of graduation between
    >>layers. I have done it a few times and am very happy with the results.

    To be honest, I have considered multiple exposures. Thinking I should meter
    for the sky on one, and the foreground on another then combine in PS, but i
    have never got around to it because I tend to only carry a monopod and can't
    keep it stable enough.

    I really need a decent new tripod. The one i have is shite - it's about a
    £20 one from ten years ago.

    > This is my preferred solution. It takes a little longer than popping a
    > filter on but it gives you much more control.

    > You can also add grad filters with just one image (if that's all you
    > took, or the landscape was moving...). Duplicate the image layer,
    > create a mask on the duplicated layer and add a graduated fill to the
    > mask. Now, select the image part of the duplicated layer and make
    > whatever artistic modification is required (including
    > Image/Adjustments/Photo Filter)

    I'm just getting used to the shadow/highlights tool at the mo. It works
    pretty well and has saved a few shots for me already. I've used PS on and
    off for five years or so - and never even knew it was there before !

    Thinking about it, the multiple exposure route seems the way to go. Gives
    me an excuse to buy a new tripod as well.

    <gary_hendricks@digital-music-guide.com> wrote in message
    > As far as Cokin goes, they are good for starters but you must be
    > careful with them because they are basically plastic they scratch
    > easily. As you get more proficient you can sell off the Cokin and get
    > good glass filters like those in www.singh-ray.com. Also keep in mind
    > that the "A" series only fit smaller lens thread sizes (up to 55mm
    > I believe) so if you get a lens with a larger thread sizes you will
    > need to upgrade to the Cokin "P" size which fits up to 82mm.
    > Regards,
    > Gary Hendricks
    > www.basic-digital-photography.com

    Most of my lenses are 77mm - so I figured just to go for the "P" anyway. I
    already know how expensive good glass filters are for those, so was kind of
    thinking the Cokin stuff might be good to mess around with without it
    costing too much.

    Thanks for that Sing-Ray link. Looks interesting - maybe I should have put a
    "Vari-ND" on my Christmas list.

Filter Latitude Photo Cameras