Sign in with
Your question
Solved

No Video Output in Built computer

Last response: in Systems
July 2, 2010 10:01:31 PM

I just received everything to build my computer today. After putting everything together, I plugged it everything lit up but I didn't get any Video. I than tried to plug only the CPU + Heatsink, 24-Pin & 8 Pin power as well as the Ram (yes i plugged the VGA cable) but I'm still getting no VGA Signal on my Screen. Did I forget something and if not how do I know if the problem is the Mobo or the CPU?

I will be trying a other pair of RAM and update this post.

I tried different Ram and it didn't change anything. Without ram, the Motherboard just beeps to tell me so. can I figure from that, that the CPU is the problem?
a c 103 B Homebuilt system
July 2, 2010 11:56:25 PM

What are your specs? Does the GPU need external power?
m
l
July 3, 2010 12:01:56 AM

I'm using a GA890GPA-UDH3 with a AMD Phenom II X6 1055T. 4Gb of 1333 G-Skill ECO ram and a XFX 5850 (2 x 6-Pin). When I initialy built it, i just plugged everything in and didn't check if the mobo was ok. I then only plugged the 2 Power connector, RAM, CPU and plugged the VGA cable directly in the Motherboard (integrated Radeon HD 4290) and not my graphic card (didn't install it and when I did I wasn't getting any signal from it either).
m
l
Related resources
a c 103 B Homebuilt system
July 3, 2010 12:45:34 AM

If you had the HD5850 in the slot then the integrated was automatically disabled! It should work if you don't have the HD5850 in the slot. If neither of them are working then most likely you have a bad motherboard.
m
l
July 3, 2010 1:02:19 AM

Thank you very much. I will go at my local Computer Center tomorrow and have them check it out if it so happens to be a DOA I will RMA it.

Thanks, ZereoX.
m
l
July 3, 2010 1:46:18 AM

Sorry to double post but I was thinking that although I am not getting any video signal from the integrated GPU, I'm still getting a single Beep when I plug everything, double Beep when there is no ram. Is it possible that the CPU is the problem and so how am I supposed to know which of the 2 if not both are defective?
m
l
July 3, 2010 12:48:51 PM

Thanks but I already did all of these. I want to RMA but I don't know if I should send back the CPU and the Motherboard?

UPDATE:

I went on Newegg.com and other sites and checked out the Review that gave 0 or 1 Star for the motherboard and what came out the most is that the Integrated was DOA and not the board. Seems like I will be returning the Motherboard.

Other Question:

How do i remove the thermal residue from the CPU after removing the heatsink?
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
July 3, 2010 3:13:58 PM

To remove the thermal compound residue from the CPU (and heatsink), use an alcohol swab. In case you don't get alcohol swabs, use 70% isopropyl alcohol available at Walmart for $1 for about 8 ounces. In this case, use a lint-free cloth and hold the CPU upside down and wipe upwards from the bottom. This will prevent the alcohol from migrating into the CPU case.
July 3, 2010 4:23:04 PM

Best answer selected by ZereoX.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 3, 2010 5:43:36 PM

Gun cleaning patches are lint-free, and will work well in this cleaning case. (Long staple cotton)
m
l
!