Onboard AGP2X chip

Dustin_Broke

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I currently own the eMachines T1100 and I got this machine right when Windows XP came out.

I can say that my onboard video chip is using an AGP2X bus so it's better than most PCI cards unless it's top of the line PCI cards. My motherboard doesn't have an AGP open slot so I can add a AGP card and it only has 3 PCI slots to add stuff. But I guess the good part is that my onboard video chip is using AGP so that makes it a good video chip. Come to think of it since the ATI Radeon 7200 has 32mb for the PCI version my video adapter will be better than that since both are 32mb of video ram but mine is a AGP2X.

AGP2X is alot faster and better the PCI I know that forsure.

I will probley need at least a ATI Radeon 9250 that has 128mb or more then maybe it will be better than my onboard AGP video chip. I know that AGP2X is alot better and faster than PCI.

I know there are alot of PCI cards out there today but if I wanted to upgrade then I will nee to get the ATI Radeon 9250 or GeForce FX series that has 128mb or more right?

Heres a pic of a system like mine that uses a AGP bus for the onboard video card. My video chip is a Intel 3D Direct AGP. People get confused but my onboard video chip is really using AGP.

agpoverg3.gif

ahmadumair

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
dont get confusd with PCI , PCI-X and PCI Express.
The cards that are out now are PCI Express and NOT PCI
AGP is ok but AGP 2x is too slow man.
and PCI is outdated now for Graphics.
for a decent AGP you get the radeon 7250.
Anymore than that will bottleneck your system

Well if you are just looking for something that will handle basic video and web at a higher ress then start looking at a 9800pro. What is your ram? If it is less than 256mb then upgrading will be cheap. I landed 17GB worth of old SDR ram for $10. By the way your board might work with first generation p3 (Kat) with out any bios update which is a lot faster than your p2. Same core and cache but adds ISSE which makes a major difference in performance. If you are looking for a pci then a 6200 pci up to a 8500gt pci wouldn't be to bad but any thing that is faster than a voodoo 5500 pci will be bottle necked by the bus.

Dustin_Broke

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Well I' am in a tight budget so I can't really afford a new system plus I got this system as a gift from my dad 8 years agao. I do take care of my stuff so it still works and looks good as new. I do know the difference between PCI and PCI Express. But for real there are alot of PCI cards sold today still online even they are older.

Eather way as I said before since my tower can only have PCI cards my AGP2X onboard video chip would be better then ATI Radeon 7000 that has 32mb or the GeForce 2 series that has 32mb. I will probley need at least ATI Radeon 9250 or GeForce FX series to really be sorta an upgrade since those at least have more than 32mb of video ram.

Just for some odd reason my motherboard doesn't have an AGP slot to add an AGP card. If it did have one then I can really upgrade to a better card then the onboard video. But since as I said I only have 3 PCI slots and two are taken already I have to get someone like the Radeon 9250 or GeForce FX series or better since those have more than 32mb of ram.

Dustin_Broke

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Oh I forgot to say this but my power supply has 150 watts max that's what it says on the power supply. But I don't think my system uses that much power eather way so probley the Radeon 9250 or GeForce FX series will work but don't know about the GeForce 8400 GS if that will work somehow.

Dustin_Broke

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Why would you say that 8400 GS is crappy? What is soo bad about it? If you were to compair this card to others the same price range is it that bad? Or are you just compairing this card to a higher end one that costs more since of cource if you pay more you get a better card.

Dustin_Broke

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Also would the GeForce FX 5200 that also has 256mb be as good as the 8400 GS? I can get one for around $25 on Ebay and that's affordable. I can also get the ATI Radeon 9250 for around that price too. Or is the 8400 GS better than both kinds?

Both are crap and I used to have one my self, as for the 5200 they're junk as well and the one I got is dead as road kill on the interstate high way. The 8400gs will work but performance wise its crap but its heads and shoulders over what you got now. By the way only bid instead of buying it now, avoid the ripoffs when shopping on eBay.

Dustin_Broke

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Well I thought as long as they are the same amount of ram and also the same type of ram then they would be about the same. Like if both are 256mb DDR then they should be about the same. But of cource if one is DDR and one is DDR2 then the 256mb DDR2 would be better.

I didn't think that the Radeon 9250 or GeForce FX series would be that bad.

But eather way I noticed that the Radeon 9250 or GeForce FX series is more affordable so I would be able to get those. But the GeForce 8400 GS costs more like around $40. I saw some that had 512mb and that costed around $70 or so.

There is also like the GeForce 6200 and I think those are good too but of cource they do cost more. They are around $40 also on Ebay.

OK you need to improve your mercantile skill aka shopping, filter down to "used" "auctions" then your country/region/province to filter out most of the rip offs and spam listings. Then start looking for what suits your interest, a 6200 wouldn't be all that bad either but if you do decide to go for a FX5xx0 or a Radeon 9xx0 then be sure you are getting a fair price. Remember they're old as hell and are easily creamed by a 9800 pro. I used to have a 9800 pro aiw and it rocked when it worked.

Dustin_Broke

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I just looked up for the 9800 and 9800 pro and all of them are for AGP so that won't work. Also the 9600 won't work since those are AGP also. So maybe the most affordable ATI card and that is also an upgrade will be the 9250. For the GeForce series the FX series looks like the most affordable ones that would still be an upgrade since it has more then 32mb.

Dustin_Broke

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Here is a pic of what it says on my power supply. As you see it says it's 150 watts max so according to this my power supply if even the 8400 GS uses 20 watts max I beleve I should have enough power right since I have total of 150 watts? So pretty much any card will work unless it's top of the line card since that might use more watts than 150.

Picture043.jpg

Dustin_Broke

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Btw there was the GeForce FX 5200 that was 64mb but I thought all FX series had at least 128mb. Will 64mb still be good? I saw this card on one of the links you showed me. The other one was the GeForce 6200 and that had 128mb but probely that would be a better card. Well as of right now I have to see how much I can get this week and then decide what card I want and can afford. I do remember though that the ATI Radeon 9250 that was from Sapphire that I use to have for AGP years agao was a good card. But that card is for AGP so it will not work on PCI that this machine has. I had to sell that machine since I needed some money and I did get $70 for just the tower back few years agao. It was alot better machine. But I not selling the one I have now since this was a gift and plus I' am taking good care of it.

Dustin_Broke

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
No no I don't have an AGP slot. I only have 3 PCI slots on my motherboard. The onboard video chip is the only one uses a AGP2X bus which is very good. Btw that pic is showing a system that is similar like mine but isn't 100% mine. It just is showing that my type of system has an AGP2X but the onboard video is the only one that can use it. If I wanted to add a new card then I will need a PCI card.

Here's a pic of my motherboard where the slots are.

Picture041.jpg

Dustin_Broke

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
This is the kind of motherboard I have. I don't think it uses much power at all though.

Anaheim-3 810 Rev. F

Here are lists of things that is connected to the motherboard right now.

CD-RW drive

DVD drive

20 gb hard drive

Floppy drive

PCI wireless adapter

56K V92 fax modem

Dustin_Broke

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Well since it's been 8 years I thought I should upgrade some things like the video card to make my older games run a little better. I play games like The Sims 2, UT 2004 and Quake 3 Arena etc. They all run fine right now but just that for The Sims 2 and UT 2004 I have to have it on lower settings since the video only has 32mb. But if I got like the Radeon 9250 or GeForce FX series then it would have 128mb or more.

Dustin_Broke

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Ok I think I have said this before but I don't have money for buying a new machine. Also this was a gift so I want to keep it until the motherboard doesn't work anymore. I want to do my best to upgrade it to make it the best it can do ok.