Sign in with
Your question

Onboard AGP2X chip

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 25, 2010 3:29:39 AM

I currently own the eMachines T1100 and I got this machine right when Windows XP came out.

I can say that my onboard video chip is using an AGP2X bus so it's better than most PCI cards unless it's top of the line PCI cards. My motherboard doesn't have an AGP open slot so I can add a AGP card and it only has 3 PCI slots to add stuff. But I guess the good part is that my onboard video chip is using AGP so that makes it a good video chip. Come to think of it since the ATI Radeon 7200 has 32mb for the PCI version my video adapter will be better than that since both are 32mb of video ram but mine is a AGP2X.

AGP2X is alot faster and better the PCI I know that forsure.

I will probley need at least a ATI Radeon 9250 that has 128mb or more then maybe it will be better than my onboard AGP video chip. I know that AGP2X is alot better and faster than PCI.

I know there are alot of PCI cards out there today but if I wanted to upgrade then I will nee to get the ATI Radeon 9250 or GeForce FX series that has 128mb or more right?

Heres a pic of a system like mine that uses a AGP bus for the onboard video card. My video chip is a Intel 3D Direct AGP. People get confused but my onboard video chip is really using AGP.

More about : onboard agp2x chip

May 25, 2010 11:28:25 AM

Well someone on a different forums showed me this pic and I saved this pic. Basicly he was showing other people that my onboard video chip was using AGP bus.
m
l
Related resources
May 25, 2010 2:16:14 PM

dont get confusd with PCI , PCI-X and PCI Express.
The cards that are out now are PCI Express and NOT PCI
AGP is ok but AGP 2x is too slow man.
and PCI is outdated now for Graphics.
for a decent AGP you get the radeon 7250.
Anymore than that will bottleneck your system
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
May 25, 2010 2:41:04 PM

lol yeah, you really need to build a completely new system, that thing is ancient....
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 25, 2010 2:54:54 PM

Well if you are just looking for something that will handle basic video and web at a higher ress then start looking at a 9800pro. What is your ram? If it is less than 256mb then upgrading will be cheap. I landed 17GB worth of old SDR ram for $10. By the way your board might work with first generation p3 (Kat) with out any bios update which is a lot faster than your p2. Same core and cache but adds ISSE which makes a major difference in performance. If you are looking for a pci then a 6200 pci up to a 8500gt pci wouldn't be to bad but any thing that is faster than a voodoo 5500 pci will be bottle necked by the bus.
m
l
May 25, 2010 3:56:56 PM

Well I' am in a tight budget so I can't really afford a new system plus I got this system as a gift from my dad 8 years agao. I do take care of my stuff so it still works and looks good as new. I do know the difference between PCI and PCI Express. But for real there are alot of PCI cards sold today still online even they are older.

Eather way as I said before since my tower can only have PCI cards my AGP2X onboard video chip would be better then ATI Radeon 7000 that has 32mb or the GeForce 2 series that has 32mb. I will probley need at least ATI Radeon 9250 or GeForce FX series to really be sorta an upgrade since those at least have more than 32mb of video ram.

Just for some odd reason my motherboard doesn't have an AGP slot to add an AGP card. If it did have one then I can really upgrade to a better card then the onboard video. But since as I said I only have 3 PCI slots and two are taken already I have to get someone like the Radeon 9250 or GeForce FX series or better since those have more than 32mb of ram.
m
l
May 25, 2010 5:00:50 PM

Oh I forgot to say this but my power supply has 150 watts max that's what it says on the power supply. But I don't think my system uses that much power eather way so probley the Radeon 9250 or GeForce FX series will work but don't know about the GeForce 8400 GS if that will work somehow.
m
l
May 25, 2010 5:05:16 PM

My power supply is a Micro ATX type since it's smaller than normal sized ones.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 25, 2010 5:11:33 PM

I know those types, the 8400gs uses less than 20w tops and is crappy but an upgrade none the less.
m
l
May 25, 2010 5:18:47 PM

Why would you say that 8400 GS is crappy? What is soo bad about it? If you were to compair this card to others the same price range is it that bad? Or are you just compairing this card to a higher end one that costs more since of cource if you pay more you get a better card.
m
l
May 25, 2010 5:24:08 PM

Also would the GeForce FX 5200 that also has 256mb be as good as the 8400 GS? I can get one for around $25 on Ebay and that's affordable. I can also get the ATI Radeon 9250 for around that price too. Or is the 8400 GS better than both kinds?
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 25, 2010 6:37:34 PM

Dustin_Broke said:
Also would the GeForce FX 5200 that also has 256mb be as good as the 8400 GS? I can get one for around $25 on Ebay and that's affordable. I can also get the ATI Radeon 9250 for around that price too. Or is the 8400 GS better than both kinds?

Both are crap and I used to have one my self, as for the 5200 they're junk as well and the one I got is dead as road kill on the interstate high way. The 8400gs will work but performance wise its crap but its heads and shoulders over what you got now. By the way only bid instead of buying it now, avoid the ripoffs when shopping on eBay.
m
l
May 25, 2010 6:56:35 PM

Well I thought as long as they are the same amount of ram and also the same type of ram then they would be about the same. Like if both are 256mb DDR then they should be about the same. But of cource if one is DDR and one is DDR2 then the 256mb DDR2 would be better.

I didn't think that the Radeon 9250 or GeForce FX series would be that bad.

But eather way I noticed that the Radeon 9250 or GeForce FX series is more affordable so I would be able to get those. But the GeForce 8400 GS costs more like around $40. I saw some that had 512mb and that costed around $70 or so.

There is also like the GeForce 6200 and I think those are good too but of cource they do cost more. They are around $40 also on Ebay.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 25, 2010 7:04:20 PM

OK you need to improve your mercantile skill aka shopping, filter down to "used" "auctions" then your country/region/province to filter out most of the rip offs and spam listings. Then start looking for what suits your interest, a 6200 wouldn't be all that bad either but if you do decide to go for a FX5xx0 or a Radeon 9xx0 then be sure you are getting a fair price. Remember they're old as hell and are easily creamed by a 9800 pro. I used to have a 9800 pro aiw and it rocked when it worked.
m
l
May 25, 2010 7:20:46 PM

I just looked up for the 9800 and 9800 pro and all of them are for AGP so that won't work. Also the 9600 won't work since those are AGP also. So maybe the most affordable ATI card and that is also an upgrade will be the 9250. For the GeForce series the FX series looks like the most affordable ones that would still be an upgrade since it has more then 32mb.
m
l
May 25, 2010 10:30:49 PM

Here is a pic of what it says on my power supply. As you see it says it's 150 watts max so according to this my power supply if even the 8400 GS uses 20 watts max I beleve I should have enough power right since I have total of 150 watts? So pretty much any card will work unless it's top of the line card since that might use more watts than 150.

m
l
May 25, 2010 10:37:06 PM

Btw there was the GeForce FX 5200 that was 64mb but I thought all FX series had at least 128mb. Will 64mb still be good? I saw this card on one of the links you showed me. The other one was the GeForce 6200 and that had 128mb but probely that would be a better card. Well as of right now I have to see how much I can get this week and then decide what card I want and can afford. I do remember though that the ATI Radeon 9250 that was from Sapphire that I use to have for AGP years agao was a good card. But that card is for AGP so it will not work on PCI that this machine has. I had to sell that machine since I needed some money and I did get $70 for just the tower back few years agao. It was alot better machine. But I not selling the one I have now since this was a gift and plus I' am taking good care of it.
m
l
May 25, 2010 10:49:49 PM

No no I don't have an AGP slot. I only have 3 PCI slots on my motherboard. The onboard video chip is the only one uses a AGP2X bus which is very good. Btw that pic is showing a system that is similar like mine but isn't 100% mine. It just is showing that my type of system has an AGP2X but the onboard video is the only one that can use it. If I wanted to add a new card then I will need a PCI card.

Here's a pic of my motherboard where the slots are.

m
l
May 25, 2010 11:09:38 PM

This is the kind of motherboard I have. I don't think it uses much power at all though.

Anaheim-3 810 Rev. F

Here are lists of things that is connected to the motherboard right now.

CD-RW drive

DVD drive

20 gb hard drive

Floppy drive

PCI wireless adapter

56K V92 fax modem
m
l
May 25, 2010 11:12:37 PM

Well since it's been 8 years I thought I should upgrade some things like the video card to make my older games run a little better. I play games like The Sims 2, UT 2004 and Quake 3 Arena etc. They all run fine right now but just that for The Sims 2 and UT 2004 I have to have it on lower settings since the video only has 32mb. But if I got like the Radeon 9250 or GeForce FX series then it would have 128mb or more.
m
l
May 26, 2010 12:37:18 AM

Ok I think I have said this before but I don't have money for buying a new machine. Also this was a gift so I want to keep it until the motherboard doesn't work anymore. I want to do my best to upgrade it to make it the best it can do ok.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 26, 2010 12:51:20 AM

You can go buy a better performing second hand junker for less than $100 and still keep your current pc. I still keep a vintage Gateway that was made in 1997 with windows 95 along with 64mb ram. I am a pack rat what else could you expect.
m
l
May 26, 2010 1:12:35 AM

Well why does everyone on every forums say at least once that my machine is not worth. I mean there is nothin wrong with it I mean it's not like it's broken. People only get something new is when something isn't working anymore and not repairable. But mine is like new and there are no scraches on the tower and I always air blow the inside of the tower so dust doesn't build inside like around the fan etc. Maybe there are very minor scraches since I have moved the tower before but still I mean it's like new. Basicly everyone seems to be saying like my machine is garbage or something. I know if I got a new computer today then it will be alot better but if I can't afford one then I have to just try to upgrade as best as possible. Also this machine was made right when Windows XP first came out around November 2001. My dad got it for me on December 17 since that's my birthday. He said it costed him around $450 normaly it did cost around $500 he said but he found a better deal. He of cource could of got me the T1090 which was cheaper and it was normaly around $400 so you could get it less. But he thought I needed a machine that was at least 1 gHz since the T1090 was 900mHz. Only difference between the T1100 and T1090 is that the T1090 had 900mHz and had a normal 48X CDROM. But mine had a 1 gHz and had a CD-RW so I can burn CDs. But later I added a DVDROM so I can install programs that are DVDs CDs and watch DVD videos. This machine was special to me.
m
l
May 26, 2010 1:18:18 AM

I can say back then we only had dial up internet and I remember using this machine to play Quake 3 Arena. I still even have that game and play it today. What was great is that this machine had a 56K V92 fax modem which was the best for dial up. But around 2004 or 2005 I can't remember we got high speed cable from Qwest cable online and also we today have a Linksys wireless router and I added a wireless PCI adapter to this machine so I can connect wirelessly.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 26, 2010 1:47:29 AM

Just get the damn card, I had two knock offs of this psu and own two very similar boards. Its slow but if it works keep it as a general rule. 9250 will work fine but if the prices are close to that of any higher performing card spend the extra buck. By the way I keep a Compaq 5400 downstares and it has been upgraded. 1.4ghz p3.
m
l
May 26, 2010 1:53:19 AM

Well from what I have heard that these 5 years computers hasen't gotten better as fast as use to be. I heard someone has said that it's soon coming to a limit that a machine can't go any faster unless they really change how computers work.

But eather way I would still want to upgrade the best I can with this machine. I did recently ordered two sticks on 256mb PC100 rams so my system will go upto 512mb total. Right now I have two 128mb so total of 256mb. When I first had this machine it had 128mb. So next I was thinking to upgrade the video card so I can play my current games better. But I might need to upgrade to a better power supply like a 250 watt and I can get one used for $20 with shipping. Or I can get a 450 watt one from Green that is around $24.

But I think my 150 watt power supply should be able to run graphic cards like GeForce 8400 GS or so. But probley the one I can afford more is the GeForce FX series and Radeon 9250.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
May 26, 2010 1:27:08 PM

Dustin_Broke said:
Well from what I have heard that these 5 years computers hasen't gotten better as fast as use to be.
well you heard wrong...

and just to clear things up a little
geforce fx 5000 series is old, like really old... since then they released the 6000, 7000, 8000, 9000, gtx200 and the most recent gtx400 series. so even the 8400gs is 3 generations newer than the fx...

edit
for radeons it goes like
7000, 8000, 9000, X000, X1000, HD 2000, HD 3000, HD 4000 and the most recent HD 5000 series
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2010 2:33:34 PM

Dustin - what everyone is trying to explain is that the performance difference which you can get from a new PCI video card is not going to make much difference if any over what you have now --- truth is the PCI bus can only handle a certain amount of info per second and the newer games require more info than that to keep the screen updated properly so even getting the best PCI card that you can is not going to improve the gaming on that system -- Just like you cannot upgrade that system to run Windows 7 or VISTA since you only have 512MB of RAM and the newer windows operating system will use more than that just to boot the system (even XP is already being overworked to run a system on 512MB since around 300-400MB will be being used by the operating system leaving only 150-200mb for your program to run before it starts using the HDD to swap info to and from the memory which brings the performance to a crawl.

While you system may still work ( I have an old 8088 CPU system that has no HDD and only 512Kb (yes KB not MB) of system memory MAX that still runs and performs fine for the tasks it can run but I would not even try to run XP on it (It runs windows 1.1a and Dos 2.0) - So you have to realize the limitations of the system and use it for a purpose it can handle or get a new system. It just really is not worth investing any more money in that system to try to improve it as the parts you need are going to cost more money since the ones that are available are being sold specifically for the limited audience such as yourself and a a substantial markup -- for the same $ you can buy an entire new system that is a generation or 2 old that will perform much better than what you have but will still be behind the times - ie. the 8400GS video card you are talking about the PCI version sells for $45 where the same card in PCI-e version is $19 so not only are you getting a card that you will not hardly notice a difference in performance on your paying alot of extra $ to do so ------ So just start saving and get a new system instead of putting any $ into that old one.
m
l
May 26, 2010 3:54:04 PM

Well I have told you guys couple of times that I want to do my best to upgrade this machine and keep it since it was a gift but eather way I think I will get a power supply and then a video card so then it will work forsure.
m
l
May 26, 2010 4:40:21 PM

a better option would be to keep this e machine as a secondary PC while saving money for another one. This way no one would be disappointed and you wont have that down in the heart guilty feeling
m
l
!