Continuous Usage: Internal or external?

therswarnkar

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Hello,

1. Will the cooling provided by external drives, mainly WD MyBook, be sufficient for continued usage, i.e., all day usage type?
Or would it be better to use an internal drive connected with stable USB connection with nice fanned enclosure to ensure cooling for continuous usage?

So, basically the question is : MyBook 3TB vs Caviar Green 3TB(or alike) with enclosure? for continuous usage.

As people say that external HDDs have bad cooling, but is it still true? I mean, like for WD My Book its very well ventilated, I guess.

I've seen that internal drives are costlier. Why is it so? I mean, is it like they are made for more robust usage than the external ones which are more of back up types?

2. Also, which is better, a well fanned plastic enclosure or an aluminum one? I think the fanned one interferes with the temperatures of the disk and may not allow it to cool gradually causing sudden temperature changes, may be.

3.And, what to use: 3 2TB disks or 2 3TB disks? I mean, how much does the structural difference (no. of platters, etc.) between both of them affects the life and speed of the drives?

And, I'm not talking about the number of on/off cycles affecting the drive. That I know. I want to know the comparison for continuous usage, like 24x7 usage, with almost 10-12 MB/s data upload/download for about 12 hrs a day.

I would be very thankful if you could answer my questions..

therswarnkar

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Thanks for your reply

But, doesn't external cooling affects the temperature variation badly? Like, doesn't it disturb the natural cooling and temperature variation adversely? If the HDD heats up and the fans make it cool suddenly, then such abrupt temperature change can harm the drive more, may be..

And does 5400rpm drive heats up so much that it will need a fan, as 7200rpm one will definitely need one?