500 GB HDD says it's only 139 GB HELP!

Josh15

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Hi I have an Hp Pavilion a4302f and the hard disk drive is supposed to be 500 Gbs and the OS says "90.4 GB free of 139 GB. This pc has been given to me by my aunt and she formatted it I think. I will upgrade this computer for gaming but before that i need to get this problem fixed! Please help! P.S I really don't want to have to re-format it because i already have games on it that took a really took a long time to download :cry:

Josh15

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Alright I'm reading it right now. Thanks for the help :D
I'll update you in a couple of minutes!

Josh15

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
GUYS! I just found the other 300+ GB in the disk management. It says "Unallocated" Can i extend partition "C" to take all that up? I tried right clicking both and i cant extend them.

Josh15

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Sorry but, I did not understand a word of what you said. Lol I'm new to this. Where did you get the 137 Gb part from? Lol

@Josh15, I see you have already resolved your problem, but just FYI ...

Windows XP was limited to 137GB HDD capacities. That's the maximum size that can be accommodated by 28-bits. To see capacities greater than that, your OS needs to support 48-bit LBAs. This support was added in a subsequent Microsoft Service Pack.

How to enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing support for ATAPI disk drives in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013

Josh15

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

I didn't solve it yet I have 3 partitions of the Hard Drive and one that is "unallocated" how can I fix this?
Thanks for explaining that to me. I do believe it is 139 Gbs.

Josh15

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Im using Windows 7.
Here's the report
I tried running it as admin

--------------
Date and time:
Wed 08/29/2012
06:35 PM

Sector Inspector Copyright Microsoft Corporation 2003

Error 5 was encountered while opening \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0.

Access is denied.

Error 5 was encountered while opening \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1.

Access is denied.

Error 5 was encountered while opening \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2.

Access is denied.

Error 5 was encountered while opening \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE3.

Access is denied.

Error 5 was encountered while opening \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE4.

Access is denied.

You can't expand C: because drive D: is in the way.

ISTM that your Disk 0 is a clone of a 160MB HDD, and that the remaining space was left unallocated.

I don't know how to make HP's recovery disc see the whole drive other than to wipe your data and start again. Otherwise you could delete the partition containing your Factory Image, but I don't know what problems, if any, this will cause.

That makes a lot of sense. Maybe the original drive was that small? Hmmm no, comp shipped with 500GB.

Josh15, I have successfully used generic OEM Win 7 disk to replace the Win 7 on a laptop disk... this was allowed by MS, but I had to jump through a few hoops to do it. You might check with HP about system recovery media.

Josh15

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Can I copy Factory Image then delete it then make a partition containing it? "Factory Image" contains boot files and hp files. Should I delete it?
http://postimage.org/image/8aocctnvh/

I don't know about that... see, there is a restore utility that points to that partition. It lives in that first small partition on the drive. The method it uses to point to that partition would determine if it can be moved.

Josh15

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
I don't have a Win 7 disk :(
I have no problem formatting my system.
Should I do a factory system restore?
The comp did come originally with Win 7 so when I restore I'd still have Win 7 right? All I have to do is update it? Perhaps I can do a backup on a disk?