shreejan86

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I'm thinking of upgrading my graphics memory on my compyter? Now i'm confused that should i go ATI 5xxx Series or Nvidia 4XX series??Any sugessstion??

Solution
I would recommend an HD5850. At stock it is a decent deal but it can overclock an extreme amount(over 40%) from stock 725mhz to over 1ghz. At those speeds it should give you performance in the area of a GTX 480 for only $300. Just make sure you get one that allows you to raise the voltage on the core to achieve the best speeds.
The GTX 470 is also a decent choice and overclocks very well but it is very power hungry, gives off a lot of heat and is more expensive.
I would recommend an HD5850. At stock it is a decent deal but it can overclock an extreme amount(over 40%) from stock 725mhz to over 1ghz. At those speeds it should give you performance in the area of a GTX 480 for only $300. Just make sure you get one that allows you to raise the voltage on the core to achieve the best speeds.
The GTX 470 is also a decent choice and overclocks very well but it is very power hungry, gives off a lot of heat and is more expensive.

Solution

rockyjohn

Distinguished

This does seem very strange. The originator has already selected the best answer - in less two hours. But more imporatantly, there was no way to provide even a general answer with the the data presented. Lmeo correctly requested some relevant information on gaming to try to help find a decent solution. To which I would add some questions about his computer. How can you know the best graphics card without even knowing his CPU (whether it will be fast enought to make use of the card), his PSU (might not even run the card), and even his memory (might not be the best allocation of resources). Further, other uses and applications could also affect the best choice.

The card recommended might be the best choice - but picking it with so little information presented is a JOKE. And anyone that would presume to recommend a card with so little information has no idea what he is doing.

shreejan86

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Well sorry guys, i'm on a computer that is shared by other people. I was out to lunch and when i came back my freind had already selected the best answer in this and other questions too. Sorry guys i should have logged out while going out sorry once again. IS there any way that i can again make that answer to normal not the best answer??

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Is it just me or is it laughable to say the 5850 could compete with a 480?
that just seems totally absurd, even if you expect massive overclocks.

if you tell is your budget though, we can recommend a good card. the 5850 is defeintly one of the best cards on the market (probably the best price/performance wise) but a gtx480 will be massively better if you can afford it.

shreejan86

Distinguished
May 24, 2010

I have a CORE I7 2.93Ghz
6 GB Corsair ddr3
EVGA P55 Classified 200 Mobo ( i bought it yesterday so i think i should go for nvidia now??))
power supply 750W

welshmousepk

Distinguished
and do you have a budget shreejan?

that system will certainly be able to utilize anything you want to put in it, so its more about budget restraints.

the 5770 is a good mid range card, whereas the 5850 is more expensive but considerably more powerful (and capable of maxing out just about any game give-or-take) but the gtx480 is the best if you can afford it, and will no doubt futureproof you for a while to come.

shreejan86

Distinguished
May 24, 2010

i can afford a card upto 400$, and yes which vendor shoul i buy msi, asus, evga....etc.???

rockyjohn

Distinguished
You still have not said what games and other applications are important to you. Its just computer 101 that you start with the uses and applications when evaluating hardware. Surprised how many forget, even after being reminded.

Also what is your spending strategy?

1. Do you want the least expensive model card that gives you good current performance in your important games and applications? Note that any speed over 40 to 50 FPS will not be noticeable nor impact game play.
2. Or do you want to also add a little room for future proofing?
3. Or since you have a fast system, do you just want the max power you can get for the $400.

Further, your board allows 2-way and 3-way SLI support. Do you want to be able to do either? To use it now if it gets the best price/performance card? Be able to use it later to upgrade by simply adding another card? I like to preserve the last option - but it means using an nVidia card - as you seem to know but everyone else seemed to ignore.

I prefer nVidia cards anyway, which has an added advantage if you use PhysX or CUDA to assist the CPU in processing. As far as nVidia card brands, I prefer BFG because of OC and service - but they recently announced they are exiting the graphics card business. Coincidentally the second best is EVGA and there certainly could be some benefit from having a graphics card and mobo from the same manufacturing - although I would not pay a lot more than other first run manufacturers and would take one of their sale bargains if available.

Or maybe we just know his board is capable of crossfire as well while you don't.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
The manufacturer only lists SLI and not crossfire on the specs. Obviously it is to their advantage to list the crossfire as well if it is fully Crossfire capable or even just supports Crossfire. That they choose not to list it is significant. And since they obviously know more about their boards than I - or you - I see no reason to take a risk they choose not to take.

Further, the ATI list of CrossfireX certified motherboards includes NONE with the P55 chipset like OP's. None.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/certified_details.aspx?cat=2&cert=1

And I suppose your psychic abilities told you what games and other applications are important to OP? And what his purchase strategy is?

Are you kidding me? It's because until recently SLI was limited to boards with an nvidia chipset while ALL non-nvidia chipset boards with multiple ports have supported crossfire for a long time. Do some actual research and stop spouting ignorance to herd people towards your preferred choice. To make a mistake is fine. That you were smug about it when you made the mistake is kind of funny. To keep on it after you've been corrected while being snarky at the person who did so is simply very bad form.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
But I made no mistake. Everything I said is fact.
You gave the OP a recommendation based on inadequate information at the start and have been trying to defend your error every since. But by not admitting your error and trying to make excuses, all you are doing is digging yourself in deeper with each new post.

You are the one that is wrong and being "snarky" too. I stayed focussed on helping the OP until your third post with the snarky "Or maybe we just know his board is capable of crossfire as well while you don't. " I responded with facts about the lack of Crossfire certification to which you made a second personal attack. Now don't try to play innocent. It is just a further example of how you twist the facts.

I have made statements that are obviously true - like the kinds of information required to make a decision about a graphics card - and posted links for specs and facts, while you ignore facts, spout bad info, provide no references, and make personal attacks.

Please provide support for your statement that "ALL non-nvidia chipset boards with multiple ports have supported crossfire for a long time. " And also explain what you mean by "supported crossfire" compared to "crossfire certified". And why EVGA lists OPs board as SLI capable but makes no mention of crossfire.

Just to interject and end this.
a primary feature of the P55 Classified 200 is the ability to run 3-Way SLI + PhysX or even Quad CrossFireX through the use of its five PCI-E 2.0 16X slots.

Source.

I see you spent 15 mins after posting actually doing research. Good job but usually people do it first. As for your edit that presents the only vague evidence you could find in that time how about this;
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=EVGA+P55+Classified+200
The first link when you google the guys motherboard is a review. In that review they detail it's performance using 3-way crossfire;
http://www.guru3d.com/article/evga-p55-classified-200-review-test/19

You are mistaken and you chided others for "forgetting" something that is actually not true. Earlier I gave the guy good advice, based on his budget and I don't remember ever "defending" it nor do I see any reason why I would have to.