Need Opinions: Using an External Drive as Primary Storage

ThatConfusedMofo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
So recently I've found myself working between multiple computers and laptops and one thing that really annoys me is when I need a file that is on one computer but isn't on another.

What I want to do is get a external hard drive ( I'm looking at this one ) and have all my files on it so I have all my files where ever I go.

I also plan on replacing the hard drives in each of my computers with a low capacity solid state (less then 60GB) for the operating system.

Would you be against a setup like this? Is there anything wrong with the external drive I selected? Could I install programs on the external or should that be on the internal?

If you can help me list the pros and cons about a setup like this, that would be appreciated.

ThatConfusedMofo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

Not all these computers are at home. I suppose I could get a second drive to back up my files.

Other than the risk of the hard drive going bad, can you think of any other cons?

ThatConfusedMofo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

My mistake, I read that as home group. The issue with setting up a home server is bandwidth usage, I only have 50 GB a month.

A home server sits in your home on your network. The bandwidth between pc's and your server(data) stays inside your house, and never goes out to the ISP's network(wan), so how are they going to charge you for this bandwidth.

I didn't read it all - forget my post.