Adding (SLI) gaming power to an aging system...

Hello,

I Have a(n)
Athlon 64 X2 2.6GHz
4Gb RAM (just upgraded from 2)
NVidia 8600GT 512Mb

and am considering getting another 8600GT for SLI - it seems like that'd be the most cost effective upgrade option.

Does that sound like sense?

However i can only find 8600GT cards with different memory, i could get one with 1Gb GDDR2 which i understand would just dumb itself down and run like another 512Mb card - but what difference would it make that my current graphics card has GDDR3 memory? can i even still SLI-them? i cant find any info on this anywhere...

Thanks guys!
Tom
4 answers Last reply
More about adding gaming power aging system
  1. Hello and welcome to the forums :)
    Before answering your SLI questions,i would strongly recommend you not to SLI your 860GT,because 2 8600GT's still won't perform well in games,so get a single fast card(like HD 5770/5850 or GTX 470)if your budget allows
  2. What about your monitor resolution?

Agree with Maz, you will better with a single powerful card.
    2x 8600GT is not good enough.

And also, how much do you want to spend?
  3. You could SLi them, but the performance gain wouldn't be worth the cost. You're probably better-off saving the cash, then selling your 8600GT and buying a better card.
  4. Or keep the 8600GT for a PhysX card and get a GTS250/9800GTX for a main card, the reason I say that is I think anything much better will have issues with that CPU especially if it's a 939.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Gaming SLI Power Graphics