Sign in with
Your question

Disabling dynamic cooling.

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2010 1:18:59 PM

Hi there. My laptop cools its Intel Core2Duo CPU dynamically, but I want it to stop doing that. I frequently study at a university library, and the accelerating/decelerating fan noises my laptop makes are a nuisance to the other people there. Are there tools that let me set a fixed RPM for the CPU cooling fan?

I tried contacting Packard Bell about a fix for my EasyNote laptop, but they don't seem to understand that if you put a serial code on the bottom of a laptop, it's going to slowly abrade away from all the wear and tear in my book bag. Without the code I can't enter their support site.
August 31, 2010 2:08:36 PM

Code should be on the hard drive somewhere.
Go into bios and see which power / fan options you have.
Processor will slow down and speed up according to load. can this be adjusted?
then fans will speed up and slow down due to heat, what adjustments do you have?
Is it ok if the fan stays on at max?
Also you could buy a cooling pad for the laptop as well.
m
l
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2010 2:36:56 PM

Well I checked the BIOS and it can't be adjusted. As fare as BIOSes go, this one is pretty limited.

I can't really adjust the load either, it's already just the fraction of a degree that makes it go in overdrive. Cooling looks clean, no dust buildup yet. I am not exactly watching movies or anything either. All I do is type papers and browse the occasional text-based site. No flash apps or anything.

Really, all I need is it to stay at the fixed 'medium' speed noise, slightly above the cool low speed noise. That's not too annoying, you cancel it out after a while. It's all the ups & downs between low and medium RPM that irks people.
m
l
Related resources
August 31, 2010 2:52:13 PM

What model Packard bell do you have. They have hidden the options I listed above with odd names like speed step (processor) and cool and quiet (fans)
m
l
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2010 8:30:41 AM

It's an older model EasyNote, ME35.
m
l
September 2, 2010 11:45:46 AM

You could block the exaust port slightly to increase temps and keep the fan running at a higher speed.
m
l
!