Physx: gtx285 vs 8800gt

mcbath

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
I have the following 3 cards:

Radeon 5970
Nvidia gtx285
Nvidia 8800gt

I want to use the Radeon as the main graphics card, and use one of the others as a standalone physx card. My problem is that if I use the gtx285 as the Physx card, fluid mark (and all other benchmark programs) crash. It works great as a main graphics card, but fails as a Physx card.

So my question is: Is it worth me spending weeks trying to figure out how to fix it, or should I just stick the 8800gt back in for Physx and ditch the gtx285? I am currently playing quite a few Physx games (Batman, Mass Effect2, Dragon Age Origins) and I would hope that the gtx285 will give me a better gaming experience, but its difficult to get good information as to how much difference I might notice with current (or even future) games.

I just hate having something like the 285 lying around doing nothing (cant sell it because I made some modifications to the cooling solution).

I saw in a review that the GTX 280 used as a PhysX card only provided around three to five FPS max boost over using a GTS 250 as the PhysX card, which is just a 55nm 9800 GTX+ which is an overclocked 9800 GTX which is an overclocked, with some stepping revisions I believe, 8800 GTS G92 which the 8800 GT G92 is kinda based off.

mcbath

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
Yeah I am leaning towards putting the 8800gt back in, although its just annoying to have a piece of kit like the 285 lying around doing nothing :) Now I just wish I had not removed the water cooling from the 8800 before testing the 285 as a physx card ....

randomkid

Distinguished

Its really a pity you can not use the 285. Perhaps you will feel good by handing it down to a sibling or friend. I would be happy to take it if I am not so far away... :)

mcbath

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
It got a little stranger. I tried the gtx285 all by itself as main display card + physx and sure enough it wont handle Physx without crashing, possibly its always been that way. But then I put the 8800gt in as a stand alone physx along side my new 5970 and whilst it worked, it actually benchmarked lower in Fluidmark and Jx3 than if I forced the CPU to do Physx.

So now I have to decide, have I broken my 8800gt too (a big possibility as its old and much abused) or is an 8800gt just not powerful enough to make any difference in an i7 920 with a radeon 5970? Or is something else in my system causing this? I cannot for the life of me think what it could be. Don't you just love mysteries :)

I am sorely tempted to just buy a cheap gtx260 and use that.

Maybe you just need a newer hacked driver.

mcbath

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
I was using the latest NVidia driver and the physx mod 1.02.

I just read they are having troubles with the 196 and 197 drivers. Maybe I will go back a few and see what happens. I can accept one busted card, but 2 sounds a bit too much of a coincidence :)

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I didn't even know that you could combine a Radeon card and still have a dedicated Nvidia card doing Physx in the same machine at one time.

I learned something today. Yay!

mcbath

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
Excellent. Got the 8800gt working perfectly and it jumped up my benchmark in Fluidmark 3 times over. And the difference in the fight scene in JX3 was insane. Went from 8 or 9 fps to 100. I am going to try the new drivers/hack on my gtx285, but seeing as that would not do the physx even with no radeon present, I think that card is borked.

But still, good news really. I know it works, so I just have to decide if a 8800gt is enough power, or whether I should just buy a cheap 260. Recommendation for Batman was a 9800 apparantly.

mcbath

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
When I say modded, i mean dremel, tie offs, ingenuity and a distinct lack of artistic care :) Plus if it won't run Physx, either its a dud card, or I dudded it with my hack job. I am gonna give it a little tweaking, thump up the voltage a little and see if it overcomes its issues with Physx. If it dies more, meh.

mcbath

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
Well the benchmark for Batman at 1680x1050 with max everything except AA (which I think was x2, but it was difficult to figure out) gave a minimum fps of 54 for full physx. It dropped down to a minimum of 45 when I forced Caalyst to do 4xAA which is a bit low for my liking. But of course upgrading the Physx is no guarantee that will up the FPS. In fact when I benched for Normal Physx the frame rate did not go up, which suggests the gfx is the bottleneck, which is insane, but there ya go :)

mcbath

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
When you advertise it correctly and make looks good.. :ange:

The card has a custom made cooler that is ugly as hell and apparently cant run Physx. I would love to see the marketing campaign that makes that look good :)

randomkid

Distinguished

Picture please! :)