External Hard Drive Problem

Andy

Hi,

I am running windows xp. I am trying to get my computer to recognized
my external hard drive. I have not succesfully connected it yet. My
current drive configuration is as follows:

Primary Master: 40Gb Samsung Ultra
Primary Slave: None
Secondary Master: CD
Secondary Slave: DVD

I also have a SATA hard drive connected through a PCI card (no SATA
connections on motherboard). My external hard drive is a Maxtor 60Gb Ultra
ATA. When I connect it through USB 2.0, Windows will just bring up the
"Safely Remove Hardware" option in the tray. It will not let me look at the
hard drive and the Maxtor software does not find it either. My external
hard drive only works in Master Mode. Am I experiencing a Master/Slave
conflict? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Andy

ANY USB or Firewire connected device is only recognized when it is "alive".
In other words; if there is a power switch [and every Maxtor external I have
seen has one], it must be turned ON for the computer or any program to see
it. Is it turned on when you try to use it?
Gene K
"Andy" <anash2@san.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am running windows xp. I am trying to get my computer to recognized
> my external hard drive. I have not succesfully connected it yet. My
> current drive configuration is as follows:
>
> Primary Master: 40Gb Samsung Ultra
> Primary Slave: None
> Secondary Master: CD
> Secondary Slave: DVD
>
> I also have a SATA hard drive connected through a PCI card (no SATA
> connections on motherboard). My external hard drive is a Maxtor 60Gb Ultra
> ATA. When I connect it through USB 2.0, Windows will just bring up the
> "Safely Remove Hardware" option in the tray. It will not let me look at
> the
> hard drive and the Maxtor software does not find it either. My external
> hard drive only works in Master Mode. Am I experiencing a Master/Slave
> conflict? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Andy

Andy

Yes. It is turned on. I only get the Remove Hardware when it is turned on
of course. It just does not like it. Thanks for your help.

Andy

"Gene K" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> ANY USB or Firewire connected device is only recognized when it is
"alive".
> In other words; if there is a power switch [and every Maxtor external I
have
> seen has one], it must be turned ON for the computer or any program to see
> it. Is it turned on when you try to use it?
> Gene K
> "Andy" <anash2@san.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am running windows xp. I am trying to get my computer to
recognized
> > my external hard drive. I have not succesfully connected it yet. My
> > current drive configuration is as follows:
> >
> > Primary Master: 40Gb Samsung Ultra
> > Primary Slave: None
> > Secondary Master: CD
> > Secondary Slave: DVD
> >
> > I also have a SATA hard drive connected through a PCI card (no SATA
> > connections on motherboard). My external hard drive is a Maxtor 60Gb
Ultra
> > ATA. When I connect it through USB 2.0, Windows will just bring up the
> > "Safely Remove Hardware" option in the tray. It will not let me look at
> > the
> > hard drive and the Maxtor software does not find it either. My external
> > hard drive only works in Master Mode. Am I experiencing a Master/Slave
> > conflict? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
> >
> > Andy

Have you gone into disk management and see if it exists? If so, it will not
have a drive letter assigned until you have formatted it. I have 2 of them,
and neither showed up until connected, powered up and I went into disk
management and formatted them.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"

> Yes. It is turned on. I only get the Remove Hardware when it is turned
on
> of course. It just does not like it. Thanks for your help.
>
> Andy
>
> "Gene K" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> > ANY USB or Firewire connected device is only recognized when it is
> "alive".
> > In other words; if there is a power switch [and every Maxtor external I
> have
> > seen has one], it must be turned ON for the computer or any program to
see
> > it. Is it turned on when you try to use it?
> > Gene K
> > "Andy" <anash2@san.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am running windows xp. I am trying to get my computer to
> recognized
> > > my external hard drive. I have not succesfully connected it yet. My
> > > current drive configuration is as follows:
> > >
> > > Primary Master: 40Gb Samsung Ultra
> > > Primary Slave: None
> > > Secondary Master: CD
> > > Secondary Slave: DVD
> > >
> > > I also have a SATA hard drive connected through a PCI card (no SATA
> > > connections on motherboard). My external hard drive is a Maxtor 60Gb
> Ultra
> > > ATA. When I connect it through USB 2.0, Windows will just bring up
the
> > > "Safely Remove Hardware" option in the tray. It will not let me look
at
> > > the
> > > hard drive and the Maxtor software does not find it either. My
external
> > > hard drive only works in Master Mode. Am I experiencing a
Master/Slave
> > > conflict? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
> > >
> > > Andy

Andy

No, it does not show up in disk management. It does show up in device
manager as a USB Mass Storage device though.

andy

"Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:Oys8OEcKFHA.2704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Have you gone into disk management and see if it exists? If so, it will
not
> have a drive letter assigned until you have formatted it. I have 2 of
them,
> and neither showed up until connected, powered up and I went into disk
> management and formatted them.
>
> --
> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
> "Google is your Friend!"
> www.google.com

> "Andy" <anash2@san.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Yes. It is turned on. I only get the Remove Hardware when it is turned
> on
> > of course. It just does not like it. Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Andy
> >
> > "Gene K" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> > > ANY USB or Firewire connected device is only recognized when it is
> > "alive".
> > > In other words; if there is a power switch [and every Maxtor external
> > have
> > > seen has one], it must be turned ON for the computer or any program to
> see
> > > it. Is it turned on when you try to use it?
> > > Gene K
> > > "Andy" <anash2@san.rr.com> wrote in message

> > recognized
My