Windows 7 p8p67 bios hanging

G

Hello,

I have a problem with my newly built system. I have an Asus P8P67 m/b with an Intel i5 2500k 4Gb DDR-3 RAM, a Crucial C300 64Gb SSD & Spinpoint 500Gb HD. The problem is that when it boots up it spends about 3.5 minutes hanging on the BIOS splash screen before it finally boots into Windows 7 (64-bit). Once running everything works OK.
I have flashed the latest version of the BIOS (1401), I have no other boot devices.
Anybody any thoughts as to why it should take so long to boot up ?
thanks for your help

Bodders

Welcome to Tom's Forums! :)

Q - What changes have you made to the BIOS e.g. AHCI, etc.
Q - What SATA Ports are being used with what?

Next, check the version of firmware on the C300 -> http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx update if needed. However, you might need to reinstall the OS; you've been warned.

If you switched to AHCI then see this link to check the registry -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 ; note you don't always get an error message...

G

Jaquith

Thanks for your reply. Here are my answers :

I've made no changes to the BIOS - using default settings only.
I'm using the 6Gb Intel ports for the SSD and the HD.

The firmware for the C300 is the latest revision - 0006.

I tried the registry fix & it still hangs on the BIOS splash for 3/4 mins before booting up

Can you suggest anything more pls

Bodders

Move the C300 to the Intel SATA2 ports. If it boots fine then move back to the SATA3 port; this will reinitialize the Drivers. Next if failure, you'll need to delete the driver manually in the Device Manager and restart.

G

Jaquith

I tried moving the C300 to the SATA2 port, booting, moving them back to the SATA3 but it did not work.

If I remove the driver manually using Device Manager does this mean a re-install, or just a restart/reboot ?

Thanks for your help

Bodders

G

Jaquith

Unfortunately that had no effect either. It's still hanging on the BIOS splash screen for 3-4 minutes & then it boots in & all works OK.

Any more thoughts ?

Bodders

If it seems not to be the SSD. Next is more complex to determine.

Short of a full breadboard:
* BIOS Load Defaults
* 1 Stick of RAM in the 2nd DIMM Slot from the CPU
* Remove all of the Front Panel and USB Panel connections
* Disconnect ALL peripherals including Keyboard and Mouse; anything USB.
* Unscrew the MOBO and PCIe screw, dangle the MOBO supported by a towel.

Use either a screwdriver or wire and short the PWR+ and PWR- {Ground}.

'Guessing' is impossible, the source problem needs to be identified.