Windows 8 D-drive Problem, Tried Everything PLEASE HELP!!

Really hope someone can help with this, it's driving me INSANE. I've tried everything I can think of.

I've got Windows 8 consumer preview installed on my C-drive (240gb SSD). I also have a 2.5" Toshiba HDD (pulled out of an enclosure) set as my D-drive used just for storage (games, photos, videos and music files).

Both C and D drive are healthy and have been benchmarked and tested for errors so it must be a setting on the OS or something similar.

My C-drive has no problems whatsoever. D-drive however is suffering a problem, whenever I double click a folder e.g. a MP3 album nothing happens for about 4-6 seconds.... THEN it will open the folder after the 4-6 second delay. It's the same with everything on D-drive. When I'm downloading something to D-drive the drive becomes almost in-accessible because of a performance slowdown. I tried playing Skyrim whilst downloading a file and Skyrim was so choppy it was unplayable. Never had problems like with a hard drive before, I don't know what the problem is :s

Sometimes it's fine though, I booted up yesterday and my music folders were opening snappy like normal. It comes and goes irregularly, I can't see a pattern of slowdown it's completely random.

PLEASE HELP ME FIX THIS. IT'S DRIVING ME INSANE :(
13 answers Last reply
More about windows drive problem help
  1. maybe the drivers have gone bad (just assuming).
    Try reinstalling the drivers.. Even I can't think of anything.
  2. jamesclark1991 said:
    Really hope someone can help with this, it's driving me INSANE. I've tried everything I can think of.

    I've got Windows 8 consumer preview installed on my C-drive (240gb SSD). I also have a 2.5" Toshiba HDD (pulled out of an enclosure) set as my D-drive used just for storage (games, photos, videos and music files).

    Both C and D drive are healthy and have been benchmarked and tested for errors so it must be a setting on the OS or something similar.

    My C-drive has no problems whatsoever. D-drive however is suffering a problem, whenever I double click a folder e.g. a MP3 album nothing happens for about 4-6 seconds.... THEN it will open the folder after the 4-6 second delay. It's the same with everything on D-drive. When I'm downloading something to D-drive the drive becomes almost in-accessible because of a performance slowdown. I tried playing Skyrim whilst downloading a file and Skyrim was so choppy it was unplayable. Never had problems like with a hard drive before, I don't know what the problem is :s

    Sometimes it's fine though, I booted up yesterday and my music folders were opening snappy like normal. It comes and goes irregularly, I can't see a pattern of slowdown it's completely random.

    PLEASE HELP ME FIX THIS. IT'S DRIVING ME INSANE :(


    James,

    Here is a link of some suggestions: http://www.ghacks.net/2011/06/09/how-to-fix-slow-folders-in-windows-explorer/

    Personally, if none of those work I would recommend re-installing Windows 7 (or 8 RTM rather than RP or CP, if that's an option for you). The preview editions of Windows 8 have been known to have bugs, although I haven't heard about this one specifically.

    You might also want to check and make sure the cabling is secure for your D-drive.
    Is your D-drive configured as raid, or a standalone drive?
  3. Hi, cheers for the replies. I'm running "Release Preview Build 8400"

    I might have to double check the connections to the drive but I'm pretty sure they're ok as I checked the other day. My D-drive is loose on the bottom of my case atm, it's not screwed in. But I don't think that would cause any problems except heat problems, but it's at 35 degrees so there's no temperature issues :L

    It's configured as stand-alone.
  4. On further inspection of performance monitoring in Task Manger it appears that I'm getting random performance spikes on D drive only at certain times :L

    Pic attached

    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8450/7893992530_ea8a5f9efb_b.jpg
  5. Ok, narrowed it down further. It's just when I write to the disk. After I write to the disk the disk activity keeps going for like 8 seconds for no reason.

    HELP!! :)
  6. Anyone????
  7. If you just installed Win8 maybe Microsoft Security Essentials(Comes with Win8) is hitting the drive with scans.

    If you keep accessing the drive does it happen with every file or is it just after the drive has been idle?

    Check the power settings to make sure windows is not putting it to sleep maybe?

    I use the CP and RTM without this issue, but my d drive also contains the desktop(on the RTM it seems to take longer to display then it did on the CP. Not sure why). so maybe it just keeps it active all the time.
  8. I've checked for MSE and it's not that. I've got AVG installed now. I can access files as fast as I like. But as soon as I edit a file or alter the contents of D-drive in someway I get massive hard disk usage spikes which cripple my system. Power settings are all good as well.

    Starting to give up hope, I've posted this on 4 other forums and nobody's been able to solve it :(

    Does D-drive need virtual memory by any chance? I think only my C-drive has it set atm.
  9. I do not think windows would page on the d drive.

    Do any programs make it happen more? I can go see if i can make it happen, but i am on the enterprise evaluation of win8.
  10. Revert to Windows 7!!
    Win8 has a lot of bugs as yet..
  11. nukemaster said:
    I do not think windows would page on the d drive.

    Do any programs make it happen more? I can go see if i can make it happen, but i am on the enterprise evaluation of win8.


    It's just at certain times D drive locks up, performance on it maxes in spikes out and it's so high everything else can't run smoothly. Not on anything particular that causes it, just at random times. Almost like there's a virus scan going on full tilt in the background.

    I can't resort back to Windows 7 my student key expired
  12. jamesclark1991 said:
    It's just at certain times D drive locks up, performance on it maxes in spikes out and it's so high everything else can't run smoothly. Not on anything particular that causes it, just at random times. Almost like there's a virus scan going on full tilt in the background.

    I can't resort back to Windows 7 my student key expired

    For about $100 or less you can get the OEM version of Win7 and have it as long as you keep the same board in the system.

    I will try to keep an eye out when I play with win8 and see if I can come up with anything. So far it has been fairly good.
  13. jamesclark1991 said:
    Really hope someone can help with this, it's driving me INSANE. I've tried everything I can think of.

    I've got Windows 8 consumer preview installed on my C-drive (240gb SSD). I also have a 2.5" Toshiba HDD (pulled out of an enclosure) set as my D-drive used just for storage (games, photos, videos and music files).

    Both C and D drive are healthy and have been benchmarked and tested for errors so it must be a setting on the OS or something similar.

    My C-drive has no problems whatsoever. D-drive however is suffering a problem, whenever I double click a folder e.g. a MP3 album nothing happens for about 4-6 seconds.... THEN it will open the folder after the 4-6 second delay. It's the same with everything on D-drive. When I'm downloading something to D-drive the drive becomes almost in-accessible because of a performance slowdown. I tried playing Skyrim whilst downloading a file and Skyrim was so choppy it was unplayable. Never had problems like with a hard drive before, I don't know what the problem is :s

    Sometimes it's fine though, I booted up yesterday and my music folders were opening snappy like normal. It comes and goes irregularly, I can't see a pattern of slowdown it's completely random.

    PLEASE HELP ME FIX THIS. IT'S DRIVING ME INSANE :(


    Hi...

    1. What type of system is this as you mentioned you installed a 2.5 HDD set as your *D-Drive*? I asume a PC?
    2. Is this a SATA2 or SATA3 or PATA drive?
    3. Please concure to the make and model and size of said drive.
    4. Can you confirm where if any the page files are used and how large?
    5. Have you tried an alternate drive say a 3.5inch drive to rule out the drive in question?
    6. Please ensure that all indexing is disabled for both drives.
    7. Is compression/encryption enabled on the *D-Drive*?
    8. What type of enclosure and how was the drive used within this enclosure?
    9. What are the property settings of the *D-Drive* i.e. Computer, Manager, Disk Drives, Right mouse click then Properties, Policies?

    Apologies for the questions, but maybe answering a few of these questions may pin-point the actual issue.

    As a side note, I once purchased a WD Black Series 750GB drive and though scans were clean, I had similar issues thus returned / replaced and never looked back again. So it could be hardware related.

    Hope this helps and good luck.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Windows 8 Storage