High temperatures on my iMAC?

roartj

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Hello, when i play games on my iMAC
temperatures get very high, how high temperatur can ATI Radeon HD 4670 it take, before it melts or shuts down?
When I play games the...
Graphics Processor Heatsink 1 - 80C and over!
Graphics Processor Temperatur Diode
- 80C and over

Power Supply Position 2 - 72C

roartj

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Since it is a iMAC it´s all in the monitor, and my warrenty would no longer be valid..and it´s only 2months old...maybe it´s not designed for games??? (I must admit I am new to the mac world...) :-/

G

I have had the same problem with my iMac, early 2008 model, 3.06ghz, 4gb ram, with 512 mb nvidia video card. I think that Toca race driver (and x-plane) finally crashed it. Luckily, I had the extended warranty, so it didn't cost me a cent to fix it. However, apple did about $1300 worth of repairs the first time. It happened one day later, and they spent about another $1,600 fixing it. (I'm sure it didn't actually cost them that much, that's just what the invoices showed.) They replaced the video card 2 times, fans, hard drives, and a bunch of other things, I don't have the invoices in front of me, and I'm not a computer expert. They, the apple geniuses, never really seemed like they knew what was wrong, and their egos seemed to get in the way of giving me a good explanation of what happened to it. So, they basically just replaced everything but the frame of the computer, taking the shotgun approach. All I can suggest is back up your entire system before it crashes, and get the extended warranty, so you don't lose your computer because of repair costs. I know this isn't expert advice, and is just anecdotal, but, I've been through it before. Backing up system and getting extended warranty would be my advice.

well the 4670 should have a thermal shutdown at around 100C, we recommend staying under 85-90C, and really with an enclosed system like that, i wouldn't want it very hot because it would heat up the other parts pretty bad (CPU, Mobo, Screen)

your options really are:
1) not play games on the iMac
2) just not care about temps and keep it under warranty
3) what nspisz said, get a PC (just talk to use and we can find one that uses parts that are compatible with OSX for a hackintosh build)