Sign in with
Your question

New Build +/- $1500

Last response: in Systems
July 3, 2010 7:19:58 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1-2 weeks

BUDGET RANGE: $1500 After Rebates excluding monitor. Would consider going higher.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Watching Movies/TV, Surfing the Net, FL Studio/Nuendo/VSTs, Photoshop, Possibly some Video Editing, Programming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Logitech G500 Mouse, Logitech Z-5500 Speakers, Logitech 7.1 Surround Headphones, DVD Drive, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I like Newegg.com since shipments come overnight to Philly sometimes from Edison, NJ warehouse. But I'm open to suggestions.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: Definitely like this case I'm looking at - COOLER MASTER CM690 II Advanced. Looks well built and I dig the the external SATA dock. Most of my builds have been with Asus mobos which I've had issues with here and there including a few times I've had to RMA so I'd like to try Gigabyte this time. Can't decide on if the price increases justify the feature differences of the UD5, UD7 or UD9 over the UD3 for the GA-X58 series. For the CPU, I've been getting mostly AMD because of price/performance over the years but I'm leaning towards the i7 930. Still undecided on GPU but I do plan on booting up linux and possibly OSX. I know AMD/ATI have been making a lot of progress and the opensource community in building better drivers for their cards in linux. But VDPAU is a big advantage of nVidia. I'm pretty open to memory brands. I was looking at the Corsair performance 6GB or Mushkin 6GB. Maybe I should be aiming higher? But the biggest problem is picking a boot drive with all these options - Samsung spinpoint F3, 6Gb/s SATA, 10k SATA, SSD, or this Hybrid drive - Seagate Momentus XT. I feel like the cost per gigabyte on SSDs are still a bit ridiculous but the access times sub 1ms are tempting. I hear the amount of reads/writes on SSD versus platter drive can degrade it faster over time? Any truth to this? Oh yeah, mustn't forget the PSU. I have Corsair TX-750W non-modular single rail in my HTPC which is probably overkill. Thought about swapping it out but was thinking I need something closer to 850W anyway. I'm mostly happy with the Corsair, I got rid of a Silverstone for it. Although I wish it were modular. And I'm not sure what the pros/cons of having a multi-rail versus single rail PSU are. I have heard the fan on the Corsair make noise on occasion though.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe at a later date. Initially just the one GPU.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Hoping to get a good deal on a Dell U2410 soon. Unless someone has a better recommendation? It'll be 1920x1200.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'd like to keep it as quiet as a Quad Core with a gaming GPU in it can get. And pretty cool as well. Should I stick with STOCK fans and heatsinks or get something better? I have a couple practically new 120mm thermaltake case fans lying around as well.

EDITED: 7/3/10 4:53 PM EST - Changed to template format.

More about : build 1500

July 3, 2010 2:45:28 PM

yeah, you need it in good format, but what is your budget, where are you from, and what will you be using it for?
m
l
Related resources
July 3, 2010 9:12:05 PM

bump after revised format.
m
l
July 4, 2010 8:17:26 AM

No opinions? hmpt, well... hmpt! :pfff: 

m
l
July 4, 2010 12:50:42 PM

o, sorry, hold on!
m
l
July 4, 2010 1:05:32 PM

Here is a build:

• CPU / MOBO Combo: Intel Core i7-930 and Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
  • RAM: G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI
  • OS/Apps: OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
  • Storage: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  • GPU: EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
  • PSU: SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - One of the best PSU you can purchase!! You can look to get a cheaper 450-550W PSU for your HTPC and use your Corsair 750TX, if you are wanting to cut cost.
  • HSF: XIGMATEK Intel Core i7 compatible Dark Knight-S1283V REV.W with ACK-I5361 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler
  • Case: COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
  • DVD: Use your current DVD
  • Monitor: You are picking up outside of this build

Total Cost: $1,532.90

You can cut cost with an i5-750 or X4 955 build and going down to dual channel memory, with keeping everything else the same.

edit: Forgot to include the HSF
    m
    l
    July 4, 2010 1:18:18 PM
    !