Sign in with
Your question

2 X 500GB 16MB RAID 0 vs 1 X 1TB 64MB IDE

Last response: in Storage
August 30, 2012 9:42:03 AM

Hello!!

I would be appreciated if someone could help me on this decision.

Right now I have in my system two Seagate 7200 500GB 16MB cache hard drives in raid 0 totaling 1TB.
There is only one partition for system and data. Everything is working fine.

I was offered a Western Digital 1 TB Advanced Format Hard Drive 7200 with 64MB Cache (Green Something…).

My pc is always on, so startup time is not an issue. I use it mainly for streaming movies and MS office and I do a full system backup (around 750GB) weekly to a usb drive using acronis true image.

Question is… what is the fastest configuration? Use the two 500GB in raid 0 or use the 1TB without raid???
August 30, 2012 10:16:05 AM

hds_miko said:
Hello!!

I would be appreciated if someone could help me on this decision.

Right now I have in my system two Seagate 7200 500GB 16MB cache hard drives in raid 0 totaling 1TB.
There is only one partition for system and data. Everything is working fine.

I was offered a Western Digital 1 TB Advanced Format Hard Drive 7200 with 64MB Cache (Green Something…).

My pc is always on, so startup time is not an issue. I use it mainly for streaming movies and MS office and I do a full system backup (around 750GB) weekly to a usb drive using acronis true image.

Question is… what is the fastest configuration? Use the two 500GB in raid 0 or use the 1TB without raid???

Raid 0 is generally going to be a faster configuration when comparing hdds with the same rpm.
Just curious--is it hardware or software raid?

Also, if you're going for speed and have some extra space available, you could try short stroking.
August 30, 2012 10:32:42 AM

Hi!

Thank you for your reply.

It's hardware raid and i'm runing windows 7 64 bit.
My doubt is mainly if the advanced format feature and the 64MB cache will be better than the raid 0.
Related resources
August 30, 2012 11:09:22 AM

The difference in cache sizes won't affect performance significantly; not nearly as much as the difference in read and write speeds you'll generally gain from a raid 0 configuration.

See http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/perf/spec/otherCach... for more information on that.

As far as advanced format, it's a mixed bag that depends on your usage (dealing more with lots of small files or fewer smaller files).
In either case, however, you won't notice significant performance gains; this deals more with allocating physical space on the hdd--not necessarily storage space.
See: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/perf/spec/otherCach... for more information.
a c 329 G Storage
August 30, 2012 8:30:26 PM

Steaming movies and MS Office are not very demanding applications, so you may not need the ultimate HDD speed. Personally, I'm no big fan of RAID0 because of its increased risk of failure and loss, although you are doing regular backups - good for you! But RAID0's main advantage - speed - may be of no real use to you in those applications. On the other hand, the Green line (5400 rpm) of HDD's is slower than the WD Black line (7200 rpm), and that's why they put the 64 MB of cache on the unit - to compensate for the slightly slower seek times. Theoretically, though, streaming movies is a sequential file access mode, and that's where a large cache does its best work to help out.
!