Sign in with
Your question

Need help choosing my first Mobo

Last response: in Motherboards
April 2, 2011 10:46:56 PM

So I've been looking around trying to put together the best computer I can for my first build. I've settled on the Intel Pentium E6800 proccessor and I've been looking at motherboards. I've narrowed it down to the DX38BT and the DX48BT2, but I don't know which one is better. I'm building a gaming computer and I'd like something with crossfire. Cooling and enough room shouldn't be a problem.

I'm open to suggestions too

More about : choosing mobo

a c 195 V Motherboard
April 2, 2011 10:58:36 PM

A Pentium E6800 is NOT a ggood computer for a new build. Post a budget so we can help.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 2, 2011 10:59:56 PM

triggrhappy94 said:
So I've been looking around trying to put together the best computer I can for my first build. I've settled on the Intel Pentium E6800 proccessor and I've been looking at motherboards. I've narrowed it down to the DX38BT and the DX48BT2, but I don't know which one is better. I'm building a gaming computer and I'd like something with crossfire. Cooling and enough room shouldn't be a problem.

I'm open to suggestions too
You could go by motherboard features and pick the one you like the most. The X48 and X38 chipsets are the same part, Intel simply began validating X38's at a higher FSB and labeled the revalidated ones as X48.
m
l
Related resources
April 3, 2011 1:43:20 AM

I agree with anort3 - the E6800 is not a good choice for a new build because the 775 socket is essentially dead and will soon be obsolete. So in the future if you wanted to upgrade you would have very few options and limited parts. You would also be restricted to DDR2 ram which will eventually be more expensive than the DDR3 counterpart as they begin to ramp down production on the old parts.

You should try to go with the new Sandy Bridge cpu's. The i3 2100 is a solid processor for entry level and is going quite cheap at the moment and the 1155 motherboards are also very affordable. With this build there will be plenty of upgrade paths available in the future. With your original intended build however, you would pretty much need to replace everything in order to upgrade.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2011 2:06:44 AM

crabdog said:
I agree with anort3 - the E6800 is not a good choice for a new build because the 775 socket is essentially dead and will soon be obsolete. So in the future if you wanted to upgrade you would have very few options and limited parts. You would also be restricted to DDR2 ram which will eventually be more expensive than the DDR3 counterpart as they begin to ramp down production on the old parts.

You should try to go with the new Sandy Bridge cpu's. The i3 2100 is a solid processor for entry level and is going quite cheap at the moment and the 1155 motherboards are also very affordable. With this build there will be plenty of upgrade paths available in the future. With your original intended build however, you would pretty much need to replace everything in order to upgrade.
I think he could get more performance from the i3-540 or i3-550, since both of those are overclockable.
m
l
April 3, 2011 2:16:13 AM

What game would need nothing more than the E6800 and work better with a Crossfire setup???
m
l
a c 195 V Motherboard
April 3, 2011 2:16:53 AM

Anything other than an ancient LGA775. E6800 is an extreme edition is it not?
m
l
a c 195 V Motherboard
April 3, 2011 2:18:58 AM

Do you have the E6800? I am unclear what you are trying to do. If it's build a new computer post a budget for us and we can help you do better than an E6800. It is old and obsolete at this point from a new build stand point.
m
l
April 3, 2011 6:18:06 AM

anort3 said:
Anything other than an ancient LGA775. E6800 is an extreme edition is it not?

No, but there is an X6800.
m
l
!