RMA motherboard raid 0 setup missing operating system

Guinea

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
I recently received an RMA replacement for my Gigabyte motherboard. My original setup was 2 500g HDD in a Raid 0 setup. I was using the P67A-UD3P motherboard. They sent me an upgrade because of a fault it had, and now I installed the P67A-UD3P-B3 motherboard and when I load the computer it says Missing Operating System. I am guessing it isn't recognizing the raid setup? How can I fix this without losing my data?

I don't think you can.

You'll need to rebuild the array on the new board, and that will erase anything on the drives. Should have backed up or imaged your drive before the swap. You might still be able to do this if you have the old board. Hook the old board back up the same way it was and back up whatever data you can to DVD or whatever, then install the new board. You'll still need to reinstall Windows and such, but at least you'll have some of your data backed up.

Or, you could chalk this up as a learning experience and just start over with a Windows reinstall and no data. Up to you.

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Have you gone into bios and enabled raid? did u go into raid menu when its booting to see if it detected drives? You also might need to select boot drives, Make raid bootable. you might need to change boot order as well. and try using boot select button (maybe something like F10 F12)

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
is it an OEM version of windows?

Windows OEM discs are registered to the system by the motherboard. If you get a new motherboard -- regardless of whether it's the same model -- you'll need to reinstall windows and if it states that you can't register that CD key you'll need to call microsoft and they'll register it to your new mobo for you.

essentially with OEM windows discs the only thing you can't change/upgrade are the motherboards. everything else can be swapped without problems

Windows activation has nothing to do with the OP's problem, sorry. It's not even getting to the point of booting up Windows due to the RAID array on the new board not knowing there's an array attached. Creating that array is the problem, as that will completely erase whatever's on the drives already.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

it isn't, but considering the problem was answered with the answer I'd have gave I brought up another potential problem:

What if it's an OEM version of windows? Because if it is he will definitely be getting a registry error.

TRENDING THREADS