Requisition

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Hey all,

I have a ASUS M2A-VM motherboard and in the manual it has this:

b9Gq3.png

And it recommends the following configurations:

oDGau.png

Further in the manual it says, "install identical DIMM pair in DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 (yellow sockets) and another identical DIMM pair in DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 (black sockets)".

I currently have three one gig sticks. Am I correct in thinking that I cannot dual-channel in either socket pair if I use those odd number of sticks? And if so, what is better: to dual-channel with 2 gigs or single-channel with 3 gigs?

Past that, I know the limitations with 32-bit operating systems and memory and the need for a 64-bit operating system once you hit four gigs and beyond, but in my motherboard manual it says that when installing a total of memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB and thus they recommend I install less then 3GB of memory if on a 32-bit operating system.

Is this true that even 3 gigs is too much for a 32-bit OS? If so, would it be worth installing a 64-bit OS to use 3 gigs? I do have a compatible 64-bit processor. Thanks for any help! I thought I had this stuff handled, but what I am reading is beginning to contradict what I thought I knew about memory and motherboards.

Solution
No, 3GB is not too much for a 32-bit operating system.

With the stuff you currently have, 3GB single-channel will run faster. Windows and games needs as much memory as you can give them.

If you are a gamer running modern games, you will want 4GB as an absolute minimum for best performance. Even somebody who only uses the internet and office apps would notice a difference with 4GB of RAM.
What do you use your pc for? The average user doesnt use more than 2Gbs and your pc would probably feel more responsive in dual channel. Or you could even test 2 sticks vs 3 and see if it makes a difference to you. A 32bit OS can use 4Gb RAM but windows allocates 1gb to video. I have 4x1Gb on my old core 2 duo but i needed the extra memory for a little 3D, photoshop, video editing that I did then. It showed 3Gbs usable and the 1Gb was shared in the video.

D

Deleted member 217926

Even a 32bit OS will benefit from 4G B of RAM. It will only "see" 3.25GB or so but 4 is not too much. I ran Windows XP 32bit with both 2GB and 4GB and 4GB is better for sure.

No, 3GB is not too much for a 32-bit operating system.

With the stuff you currently have, 3GB single-channel will run faster. Windows and games needs as much memory as you can give them.

If you are a gamer running modern games, you will want 4GB as an absolute minimum for best performance. Even somebody who only uses the internet and office apps would notice a difference with 4GB of RAM.

Solution

Requisition

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011

My main game for the past year or so has been Starcraft II and yes is does run on 2Gb, but I am always looking to improve performance. =)

As for testing 2 vs 3, is their a good program for doing that? I don't trust my senses to be able to tell on their own. I would certainly like to get a fourth stick, but being the poor college student that I am I haven't yet. They are cheap and readily available though, so I hope to rectify that soon.

Thanks for the link though, that is exactly the kind of thing I need to read.

Thanks for the clarification on 32-bit RAM limits. Thats what I thought it was, I guess the writer of that manual was just mistaken.

Yes, I would like to get 4GB as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.