Your question

Choosing SB Motherboard

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Asus
  • ASrock
Last response: in Motherboards
April 2, 2011 11:17:48 PM

I was debating between Asrock and Asus models like Asrock Extreme4 and Asus P8P67 and the Pro version. However, I just noticed, no one sells the Asrock boards or either the Pro or Evo models from Asus (well, Buy.com has the Evo for $205, but I don't think I trust them...).

Already bought parts:
i5 2500
GTX 570
Seasonic X650
Spinpoint F3 1TB
Win7 64-bit Home Premium OEM
G.SKILL 2x2GB 1600 DDR3 6-8-6-24

Don't need to overclock (well, 400MHz someday maybe, lol) and don't need SLI.

I have a few questions:

1) Newegg shows Asrock boards as having 1 year warranty, but Asrock's page that talks about all P67 boards getting an extra year talk about warranty zones that go up to 3 years. I can't find any more info about this, though.

2) Why are the Asrock boards and some of the Asus models gone?

3) Anyone's thoughts about the regular P8P67 vs other boards?

4) Any other motherboard suggestions?

More about : choosing motherboard

April 3, 2011 2:09:18 AM

One more question I forgot. The Pro and Evo boards have a USB 3 bracket while the Deluxe has a USB 3 box. How does each of these work? If I get the regular P8P67, how do I get front USB 3 without wiring out the back to the rear ports?
m
l
a c 107 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 3, 2011 7:03:23 AM

1. The extra warranty is a new thing from ASRock due to the recall from January.
2. Don't know for sure, but may involve some sort of recall (yes, again). Rumors only at this point.
3. It's a good basic overclocking board.
4. Sure, lots. Depends on what features you need.
Extra: This depends on your case and board. Try to find a case that has front USB3. This will have a cable that attaches to an internal USB3 header. Check the listings to make sure your board has at least one internal USB3 header.
m
l
a c 242 V Motherboard
a c 115 Ĉ ASUS
April 3, 2011 4:37:00 PM

1. AsRock was originally created by Asus to chase the OEM / low budget market but AsRock was spun off .a while back and, IIRC, is now the 4th largest MoBo company. When money's is tight I look to Asrock to meet budget restrictions.

Warranty is generally 1 or 2 years on AsRock (extended now as a result of the B3 defect thing) as opposed to Asus' 3 and 5 year warrantees.

There are still many similarities between the two boards as would be expected given their similar parenting. However, if ya dig deep, in order to reach specific price points below their competitors, by necessity some of the components (i.e. voltage regulation, capacitors, etc.) will be of lower cost / quality.

2. You will notice that the ones that are missing are the ones that were the most popular on the original release. It makes perfect sense that the entire production allocation dedicated to the more popular resellers is being eaten by defect replacements. The Asus P8P67 pro was even more popular due to the newegg combo offering which dropped an additional $20-30 when combined w/ a 2500k/2600k processor.

3. The P8P67 Pro was the reviewers overwhelming favorite. AFter that it's just the feature set.

4. Other boards to consider....I'll use the Asus models to indicate the 'step up", consider alternate offerings from competing manufacturers which mach up to these:

Asus Sabertooth - upgraded w/ "militarized" components, this gets you a 5 year warranty:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-sabertooth-p67-tuf-r...

Asus WS Revolution - My favorite board where cost is still a consideration. The NF200 chip gives the ability for 2 GFX cards in SLI / CF to run at full x16 x16 rather than x8 x8. Another thing I am real fond of is the efficiency of this board. before reading the conclusions page, read the temperature and power results here:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3795/asus_p8p67_ws_rev...

At a slightly higher OC, it consumed 50 watts (49) less at idle and 23 watts under load than the the Gigabyte P67A-UD7. It also ran 10.4 C cooler at idle and 7.2 C under load than the Giga model. They managed a 4.8Ghz overclock on the 1st try (105.6 x 45). The WS takes every bench over the UD7, many by a considerable margin.

Asus Maximus IV Extreme - If twin cards at x16 x16 ain't enuff, the Maximus allows x16 x16 x8 which seems targeted at the addition of a cheap dedicated PhysX card in the x* slot. Nobody has asked me to do a build w/ this card as yet so all I can go by are the reviews (they hit 5.1 Ghz):

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1096/pg9/asus-rog...
m
l
!