Domain Changed (HELP Please!!)

March 13, 2005 11:11:03 AM

I have a Dell laptop and it was setup to login to an active directory system
with the company. I am on the road and was trying to connect to a wireless
network at the hotel. I could not do this so I tried to change the domain
group from "Member of Domain" to "Workgroup". I rebooted and now I cannot
login under my normal username and password. I cannot get past the windows
logon screen. Is there any way to logon to the computer as my previously
named account? or is there a way to restore the member of domain instead of
the workgroup logon?
Please Help.
Derek

More about : domain changed

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 12:39:18 PM

Derek wrote:
> I have a Dell laptop and it was setup to login to an active directory system
> with the company. I am on the road and was trying to connect to a wireless
> network at the hotel. I could not do this so I tried to change the domain
> group from "Member of Domain" to "Workgroup". I rebooted and now I cannot
> login under my normal username and password. I cannot get past the windows
> logon screen. Is there any way to logon to the computer as my previously
> named account? or is there a way to restore the member of domain instead of
> the workgroup logon?
> Please Help.
> Derek

By changing the computer from the domain to a workgroup, you have
destroyed the trust between the domain and the machine. In doing so,
you have also rendered any domain login credentials as invalid.

Naturally, any local account you then create won't have access to
the data files belonging to a domain account.

You need to be physically connected to the domain network, you need
to have administrative privileges to the workstation, and you need to
have administrative privileges on the domain. Then you can add the
machine back on to the domain, after having first deleted the computer's
old domain account (unless you've also renamed the computer).

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 12:39:19 PM

So if all users on this active directory have local admin rights, and I am
able to get back to the company and connect to the network, i will still not
be able to login under my previous account username? I did not rename my
computer, just switched from domain to workgroup.
Thanks,
Derek

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> Derek wrote:
> > I have a Dell laptop and it was setup to login to an active directory system
> > with the company. I am on the road and was trying to connect to a wireless
> > network at the hotel. I could not do this so I tried to change the domain
> > group from "Member of Domain" to "Workgroup". I rebooted and now I cannot
> > login under my normal username and password. I cannot get past the windows
> > logon screen. Is there any way to logon to the computer as my previously
> > named account? or is there a way to restore the member of domain instead of
> > the workgroup logon?
> > Please Help.
> > Derek
>

> By changing the computer from the domain to a workgroup, you have
> destroyed the trust between the domain and the machine. In doing so,
> you have also rendered any domain login credentials as invalid.
>
> Naturally, any local account you then create won't have access to
> the data files belonging to a domain account.
>
> You need to be physically connected to the domain network, you need
> to have administrative privileges to the workstation, and you need to
> have administrative privileges on the domain. Then you can add the
> machine back on to the domain, after having first deleted the computer's
> old domain account (unless you've also renamed the computer).
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:18:42 PM

Derek wrote:
> So if all users on this active directory have local admin rights, and I am
> able to get back to the company and connect to the network, i will still not
> be able to login under my previous account username? I did not rename my
> computer, just switched from domain to workgroup.
> Thanks,
> Derek

Once your network administrator has added the computer back to the
domain, you should be able to log in using the domain account and
thereby access the files contained in the domain account's profile.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm