Tripod for travel

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 18, 2004 9:08:22 PM

Hi,

I will be going on international vacation soon and I will need a tripod for
nightshots etc. I will be using a 20D SLR. Any recomendations? Obviously
weight and folded-up size are most important.

Thanks
Musty.

More about : tripod travel

Anonymous
December 18, 2004 9:08:23 PM

This is a nice one, rubber feet, packs easy, and cheap . Best Buy had
it as of 3 weeks ago.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=105538803648...

Musty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I will be going on international vacation soon and I will need a tripod for
> nightshots etc. I will be using a 20D SLR. Any recomendations? Obviously
> weight and folded-up size are most important.
>
> Thanks
> Musty.

Anonymous
December 18, 2004 9:08:23 PM

I don't know what to call the device, its like a clamp with the various
swivels and hardware to attach to the camera. You can attach it to whatever
is handy. Small. Cheap. I have one down deep in my camera bag somewhere.

"Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I will be going on international vacation soon and I will need a tripod
> for
> nightshots etc. I will be using a 20D SLR. Any recomendations? Obviously
> weight and folded-up size are most important.
>
> Thanks
> Musty.

December 18, 2004 9:08:23 PM

"Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I will be going on international vacation soon and I will need a tripod
for
> nightshots etc. I will be using a 20D SLR. Any recomendations? Obviously
> weight and folded-up size are most important.

A monopod. Almost as steady as a tripod and you won't get thrown out of
museums and such for using it.
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 9:08:24 PM

"Rudy Benner" <bennerREMOVE@personainternet.com> wrote in message
> I don't know what to call the device, its like a clamp with the various
> swivels and hardware to attach to the camera.

It is called a clamp.
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 9:08:25 PM

"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Rudy Benner" <bennerREMOVE@personainternet.com> wrote in message
>> I don't know what to call the device, its like a clamp with the various
>> swivels and hardware to attach to the camera.
>
> It is called a clamp.

Dang, I was close, eh?
December 18, 2004 9:27:15 PM

I dont know if this important, but I will sometimes use it will a Canon EF
70-200mm f/4L lens (which will obviously make it more front-heavy), so the
tripod cannot be some flimsy piece of plastic.

Thanks

"Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I will be going on international vacation soon and I will need a tripod
for
> nightshots etc. I will be using a 20D SLR. Any recomendations? Obviously
> weight and folded-up size are most important.
>
> Thanks
> Musty.

Anonymous
December 18, 2004 11:30:23 PM

On 12/18/04 12:27 PM, in article 7E_wd.55510$yf.14925@fe2.texas.rr.com,
"Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote:

> I dont know if this important, but I will sometimes use it will a Canon EF
> 70-200mm f/4L lens (which will obviously make it more front-heavy), so the
> tripod cannot be some flimsy piece of plastic.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I will be going on international vacation soon and I will need a tripod
> for
>> nightshots etc. I will be using a 20D SLR. Any recomendations? Obviously
>> weight and folded-up size are most important.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Musty.

Unless you are going to be shooting in situations where steadiness is of
extreme importance go with a monopod. The carbon fiber ones are very light
and add an amazing amount of steadiness. Also, when equipped with a small
ball head, the camera can be moved to the vertical position.
If you must have a true tripod consider one of the Gitzo Mountaineer carbon
fiber ones. The many ultra small 'travel' tripods commonly sold would
probably be worse than hand holding if you are using your 70-200 lens.
As an aside, if you travel with a monopod, I would put it in my checked
luggage - the way security is these days they might classify it as a weapon!
Chuck
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 12:08:39 AM

> If you -still- can't hold things still when
> using a monopod, perhaps it's time to consider
> another hobby
Do you get water up your nose in the rain, holding it aloft like that?
December 19, 2004 2:15:43 AM

Still get sideways movement with a monopod though.

Depends on what you are shooting, focal length and shutter speed on whether
a monopod is practical.

> "Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I will be going on international vacation soon and I will need a tripod
> for
> > nightshots etc. I will be using a 20D SLR. Any recomendations? Obviously
> > weight and folded-up size are most important.
>
> A monopod. Almost as steady as a tripod and you won't get thrown out of
> museums and such for using it.

Anonymous
December 19, 2004 3:08:45 AM

Be prepared that no matter what, you are not going to be completely
happy about it. A great compromise is simply unavoidable. You'll always
feel regret for no taking the other choice.

Unless this is purely a photography trip, you should only bring
tablepod or monopod. To push one step forward, you should only carry
tablepod.

I have a very small Gitzo (model 1001?), that has only two section and
is only about knee-level tall: too small, and yet not portable enough.
I also have the smallest Gitzo 3-section tripod, the height is about
the chest level. This is almost probably the smallest usable tripod,
but still too heavy to carry around. It feels very awkward after
carrying for about one hour.

I've never made monopod stable. I'm yet to meet anyone who uses monopod
and feel it works. (may be in my next trip). But I've met enough people
who carried a monopod, thinking it'd work but otherwise.

The only thing that ever worked for me, and I'd keep on carrying, is
the Leica tablepod. Can't expect it works for all occasion. For me,
about 30% of the chances it works, but 70% not. It's not necessary to
be Leica. A lot of similar choice will work. Bogan 3009, for example,
is another choice and a lot cheeper.

One advantage of Leica tablepod is it's varaible angle between the
legs, while the Bogan is fixed to 120-degree. This gives the Leica
tablepod more flexibility on narrow surface. For example, I can use it
on the Glacier point's rim-edge wall (Yosemite, only about 3 inches
wide), but it is too narrow for Bogan 3009.

The biggest problem of tablepod is it's too low. It's less a problem
for cameras with waist level finder or things swivel-tilt LCD screen,
such as Hasselblad or Canon A95/G6, but it might be more problematic
for your 20D.

Musty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I will be going on international vacation soon and I will need a
tripod for
> nightshots etc. I will be using a 20D SLR. Any recomendations?
Obviously
> weight and folded-up size are most important.
>
> Thanks
> Musty.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 3:13:54 AM

Musty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I will be going on international vacation soon and I will need a
> tripod for nightshots etc. I will be using a 20D SLR. Any
> recomendations? Obviously weight and folded-up size are most
> important.
>
> Thanks
> Musty.

I find that I just don't want to carry any tripod with me. Many places
don't want to see you with a tripod. On the other hand with a little
practice you can do a lot with just using what is at hand. A railing and a
wadded up jacket can make a great tool for steadying a camera. Bracing
yourself against a wall or table etc. can do wonders. A little practice
goes a long way and a digital camera is a great tool to practice with
without spending lots of money.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 3:43:59 AM

In article <qm_wd.55507$yf.11048@fe2.texas.rr.com>,
"Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote:

> I will be going on international vacation soon and I will need a tripod for
> nightshots etc. I will be using a 20D SLR. Any recomendations? Obviously
> weight and folded-up size are most important.

No. Stability, ease of use and folded up size are most important.

Look at Gitzo or Manfrotto carbon fibres. You don't say what lenses you are
using.
December 19, 2004 3:44:00 AM

Lean the camera against a wall or a chair, and use the self-timer to release the
shutter. That will eliminate the shaking caused by pressing the shutter release
with a finger. Lacking a wall or chair, I occasionally just press the camera
against my chest, hold my breath, and use the self-timer.
Morton

Simon Gardner wrote:

> In article <qm_wd.55507$yf.11048@fe2.texas.rr.com>,
> "Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote:
>
> > I will be going on international vacation soon and I will need a tripod for
> > nightshots etc. I will be using a 20D SLR. Any recomendations? Obviously
> > weight and folded-up size are most important.
>
> No. Stability, ease of use and folded up size are most important.
>
> Look at Gitzo or Manfrotto carbon fibres. You don't say what lenses you are
> using.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 3:49:36 AM

"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I will be going on international vacation soon and I will need a tripod
> for
>> nightshots etc.

> A monopod. Almost as steady as a tripod and you won't get thrown out of
> museums and such for using it.

A little tricky doing night shots with one, though....

Good shooting,
Bob Scott
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 4:37:11 AM

>I dont know if this important, but I will sometimes use it will a Canon EF
> 70-200mm f/4L lens (which will obviously make it more front-heavy), so the
> tripod cannot be some flimsy piece of plastic.
>
> Thanks

http://www.amvona.com/v7/shop/?page=shop/flypage&catego...
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 5:10:00 AM

In article <6J3xd.12$vb7.1@fe1.columbus.rr.com>,
"Joseph Meehan" <sligojoe_Spamno@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I find that I just don't want to carry any tripod with me.

I find that I use one almost the whole time.

But there are also monopods, clamps, bean bags, ergorests etc. I think that
at the last count, I had three monopods and about six or seven tripods on
the go.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 5:25:06 AM

"A" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:cq2deb$l2s$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:

> Still get sideways movement with a monopod though.
>
> Depends on what you are shooting, focal length and shutter speed on
> whether a monopod is practical.

If you -still- can't hold things still when using a monopod, perhaps it's
time to consider another hobby :/

--
http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet
Anonymous

I am a photographer....its who I am and what I do. Its my identity. I have
the ID to prove it. When I travel I take photos...to do so was probably the
major reason for me leaving my warm home in the first place. So, why leave
an essential tool behind? Even when traveling light I will have one of three
things with me....a monopod, a pocket tripod, or a light tripod. The monopod
is ok for daylight...and serves a bit as a walking stick. The pocket tripod
is best for remote flashes...but can be set on a table for a camera (but
anything will serve for that...jacket, pillow). The light tripod is a
consumer model. I made it special by adding a shotgun strap to it so I can
sling it over my back and forget about it. If you don't spread the legs and
use it as a tripod most museums don't mind too much.

Another essential tool is a press pass. Make up one in Photoshop...there are
no rules as to what they look like. It gets you into lots of places. Gets
good tables, and gets past police lines if you ask nicely. You don't have to
lie about anything....a website is media.

"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Rudy Benner" <bennerREMOVE@personainternet.com> wrote in message
> > I don't know what to call the device, its like a clamp with the various
> > swivels and hardware to attach to the camera.
>
> It is called a clamp.

Anonymous
December 19, 2004 1:29:33 PM

Gene Palmiter wrote:

> I am a photographer....its who I am and what I do. Its my identity. I have
> the ID to prove it. When I travel I take photos...to do so was probably the
> major reason for me leaving my warm home in the first place. So, why leave
> an essential tool behind? Even when traveling light I will have one of three
> things with me....a monopod, a pocket tripod, or a light tripod. The monopod
> is ok for daylight...and serves a bit as a walking stick. The pocket tripod
> is best for remote flashes...but can be set on a table for a camera (but
> anything will serve for that...jacket, pillow). The light tripod is a
> consumer model. I made it special by adding a shotgun strap to it so I can
> sling it over my back and forget about it. If you don't spread the legs and
> use it as a tripod most museums don't mind too much.
>
> Another essential tool is a press pass. Make up one in Photoshop...there are
> no rules as to what they look like. It gets you into lots of places. Gets
> good tables, and gets past police lines if you ask nicely. You don't have to
> lie about anything....a website is media.

Gene,
Nice post.

When I travel, I take as much photo gear as I can tolerate.
Sometimes, on work trips, that means only the camera and no
tripod. If I'm going to Europe, I'll at least take a miniature
tabletop tripod, SLR/DSLR and one lens (28-135 IS). That allows
me to do long exposure night shots. The IS helps in low
light situations. I've taken nice sharp 1/8 second images
of stained glass windows in churches on Fuji Velvia with the
IS lens; now with digital, I'd boost the ISO a little to
keep exposure times shorter.

For more serious photo trips, I take a full height tripod.
For years this was a problem for me, as a sturdy tripod
for use with a telephoto, like a Bogen 3001 or 3021, meant too
heavy. I just got a nice tripod which I tested the last
couple of weeks in Hawaii: a gitzo 1228 carbon fiber and a
manforto proball 308 head. With a wimberly clamp for wimberly
quick release plates, the system weighs 4.1 bounds. The carbon
fiber damps vibrations so well and is so sturdy that I got great
images with 300 mm f/4 IS with 1.4 or 2x telextenders. I have used
cheaper tripods in the past that were much heavier but less sturdy.
This setup also works well with 4x5 (but I'll change to a pano head
for 4x5 use).

For real serious photo trips, I use a take a gitzo 1235 carbon fiber
plus wimberly head (to hold a 500 mm f/4).

I intend to get smaller carbon fibers for when I need to travel even
lighter, like:

gitzo G-0027 carbon fiber tripod, (11.8 inch folded length, 0.94 pounds,
max height 28 inches).

A table top carbon fiber tripod. I'm looking for suggestions.

There is a trend here. After spending hundreds of dollars over
the years on numerous "low" cost" aluminum tripods, never being
satisfied with the performance, I discovered how vastly superior
carbon fiber tripods are. It may be hard to shell out the money
for the high cost carbon fiber, but you'll have a much more stable
camera support and get more images without vibration blur.
In the long run, considering the cost of travel and importance
of my images to me, I should have made the switch long ago.

Roger
Photos at: http://www.clarkvision.com
December 19, 2004 3:22:33 PM

Are you saying that it is practical to take 30 second exposures on a
monopod? What about shooting at 500mm in low light?

"Jon Pike" <Anonomoose@spamlesshotmail.com> wrote in message

> If you -still- can't hold things still when using a monopod, perhaps it's
> time to consider another hobby :/
>
> --
> http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 4:44:33 PM

One tripod that the OP might want to look at is the Manfrotto 714SHB.
I bought one recently and might actually carry it -- unlike my big
Manfrotto 055C which is too bulky to tote around.
The 174SHB weights 2.2 pounds, comes with its own carrying case, uses
four sections plus a column extension which has its own ball head. It's
less than 14" collapsed (which should be small enough to fit in a
carry-on bag) and extends to 47" when the center column is fully
extended. Supposedly supports 5.5 lbs.

B&H's info is at http://tinyurl.com/5bx2c

-- Ron
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 4:44:46 PM

"Simon Gardner" <666_@hack.powernet[dot]co[dot]uk> wrote in message
> In article <qm_wd.55507$yf.11048@fe2.texas.rr.com>,
> "Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote:
>
> > I will be going on international vacation soon and I will need a tripod
for
> > nightshots etc. I will be using a 20D SLR. Any recomendations? Obviously
> > weight and folded-up size are most important.
>
> No. Stability, ease of use and folded up size are most important.
>
> Look at Gitzo or Manfrotto carbon fibres. You don't say what lenses you
are
> using.

Actually he does. Not every lens but I think he is quoting what in his
opinion is the worst possible sitiation regarding weight / imbalance combo -

"Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message
> I don't know if this important, but I will sometimes use it will a Canon
EF
> 70-200mm f/4L lens (which will obviously make it more front-heavy), so the
> tripod cannot be some flimsy piece of plastic.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I will be going on international vacation soon and I will need a tripod
> for
> > nightshots etc. I will be using a 20D SLR. Any recomendations? Obviously
> > weight and folded-up size are most important.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Musty.

Anonymous
December 19, 2004 10:28:55 PM

Ronald Hands wrote:

> One tripod that the OP might want to look at is the Manfrotto 714SHB.
> I bought one recently and might actually carry it -- unlike my big
> Manfrotto 055C which is too bulky to tote around.
> The 174SHB weights 2.2 pounds, comes with its own carrying case, uses
> four sections plus a column extension which has its own ball head. It's
> less than 14" collapsed (which should be small enough to fit in a
> carry-on bag) and extends to 47" when the center column is fully
> extended. Supposedly supports 5.5 lbs.
>
> B&H's info is at http://tinyurl.com/5bx2c
>
> -- Ron

Ron,
The 174SHB does not appear to be a carbon fiber
tripod, correct?. If so, such little conventional
tripods have very poor rigidity, especially in comparison
to similar sized carbon fiber. The OP said he wants a
tripod for use with a 20D and 70-200mm f/4L lens.
At 200 mm, one needs reasonable rigidity, that will
be a challenge in a small tripod, even for carbon
fiber, in my opinion.

Roger
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 11:45:04 PM

Gene Palmiter wrote:

> Another essential tool is a press pass. Make up one in
> Photoshop...there are no rules as to what they look like. It gets you
> into lots of places. Gets good tables, and gets past police lines if
> you ask nicely. You don't have to lie about anything....a website is
> media.

No question!
My 'press pass' (bogus of course) got me VIP treatment at one border
crossing and turned a carload of menacing Guatamalan policemen into a
bunch of grinning buddies.

Ken.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

In article <41c5156b$0$25815$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
"Alan Rutlidge" <rutlidge@<No_Spam>.iinet.net.au> wrote:

> > In article <qm_wd.55507$yf.11048@fe2.texas.rr.com>,
> > "Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I will be going on international vacation soon and I will need a tripod
> for
> > > nightshots etc. I will be using a 20D SLR. Any recomendations? Obviously
> > > weight and folded-up size are most important.
> >
> > No. Stability, ease of use and folded up size are most important.
> >
> > Look at Gitzo or Manfrotto carbon fibres. You don't say what lenses you
> are
> > using.
> >
> Actually he does.

You will find I read his addendum *after* posting the response to his first
post.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 12:45:56 AM

In article <Xns95C3C5DFBB1B4LessThanPerfectInc@24.71.223.159>,
Jon Pike <Anonomoose@spamlesshotmail.com> wrote:

> If you -still- can't hold things still when using a monopod, perhaps it's
> time to consider another hobby :/

If you don't think a tripod aids composition and exposures over 0.5 secs,
It's time to consider another brain.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 12:45:56 AM

In article <cq3rhk$10o$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>,
"A" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> Are you saying that it is practical to take 30 second exposures on a
> monopod? What about shooting at 500mm in low light?

Did a load of moonlight shots the other day. A monopod would have been as
much use as a fart in spacesuit.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 1:31:07 PM

> Ron,
> The 174SHB does not appear to be a carbon fiber
> tripod, correct?.

That's correct. It's aluminum.
As always, a try-out of actual tripods in an actual store is probably
the best bet.
I use the tripod with a lightweight digital (Canon A-75) so I'm a
poor judge of the requirements for a 20D/200mm. But in a low light
situation, I would think that any tripod is better than hand-holding :-)

-- Ron
!