Intel 50% CPU price cut to little too late.

Good? Well, it looks like in some areas Intel is competing with itself which is almost never good. However they have quite a stranglehold on the CPU market so they can ask whatever they want for their CPUs.

What is good is we can expect some price drops from AMD in the near future. It definitely makes one wonder though...Maybe they think since LGA1366 is going away, alot of folks will opt for the 1156 models at the same price. I don't know, to me I'd rather have the I7 950 at $300 but then what do you upgrade to? The EE?

bobdozer

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Way to get that mixed up.

Intel only drops prices when cpu's aren't selling at their asking price. The reason the i7's are dropping to firesale pricing is because they get owned by AMD's X6 on price and performance. AMD hasn't dropped X6 prices since release, that says it all - they are selling every chip they can make. Intel aren't.

I think I would rather Intel keep their prices a bit higher so AMD could live considering it takes a 6 core Phenom II to compete with a Core i7 Quad.

If Intel went into a price war right now, it could kill AMD since they can't justify their CPUs being priced higher than they are now and can't afford to sell them for much less.

bobdozer

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

If slashing 50% off your entire top end Nehalems isn't "going into a price war", what is? Fact is, the people who buy enthusiast cpu's realised that AMD's 6 cores beat intels quads, so intel had to slash prices while AMD's never dropped. It's simple economics, your theory is laughable.

My theory is laughable? Lets look back at history shall we? When AMD released the Athlon 64, it became a hit. It ran at lower clock speeds and lower thermals but beat Intels Pentium 4. FOrward to Pentium D and Athlon 64 X2. Same thing.

SO lets also look at the pricing. During that time, AMD was able to sell its chips at such a fast rate, that they couldn't fill the needs of large OEMs let alone their loyal small OEMs (who they stiffed quite a bit to sell to the big OEMs). They put a large premium on their CPUs. Their top tier CPUs hit $1K+.

Intel released their Core 2 CPUs and took back the performance crown. It took AMD about a year to start dropping the price.

But what that shows is that whatever AMDs CPUs perform next to, is what they will price it at. If Thuban performed as well as Gulftown then Thuban would be near $1K. But since a 6 core Thuban can barley beat a Core i7 920 at a higher clock speed in everything but insanley highly threaded optimized applications, and even then it sometimes doesn't do much better, they had to price it near the mid end Core i7 and lower range in prices.

If Intel kept their CPUs at the same price or lowered them constantly, AMD wouldn't survive.

We can go back to the first set of quad cores from Intel. The Q6600 hit pretty high but even before AMD released their first quad core, it was sub $300.

Believe me when I say that if Intel wanted to do a price war, you would know it and AMD would be hurting.

intel dont need to drop their prices because the majority of the population, that have no clue about computers, only know intel and are wary of anything else. I know this from when I used to sell PC's. Customers say "AMD? never heard of them" So Intel will still sell regardless of price/performance.

You would be suprised as to how much it has changed. Where I work, the majority of the people we get are baby boomers. We do custom builds and out of the 20 or so we did this month only one was Intel and that was a high end gamer build.

Most people are fine with our basic build which uses a Athlon II X2 because they do not need much more than that and its cheap. Price has more of a matter on PCs these days than name brand unless they are a fan of either side. A lot of the HP laptops I have gotten in from the past 5 years has been AMD unless people did the research first and went with a Centrino setup (the majority of those AMD builds had a nVidia chipset and IGP that would die out and fry the mobo, HP had a major recall).

These days, as I said before, price plays a much larger role than name brand. We rarely get a request for specific brands, sometimes in the GPU where they prefer nVidia or ATI and sometimes but rarely they ask for Intel or AMD. The last guy I had asking for AMD though was convinced that a Opteron system was the best a INTG and FPU performance. Not sure of his sources but hey, some people want what they want.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006

I'm not sure you know what Nehalem is. Nehalem is the CPU architecture, and as I'll reiterate below, Bloomfield is the HEDT variant of it NHM.

The Top Nehalem is the i7 975EE. The i7 975EE is also the top Bloomfield, with is the HEDT variant of Nehalem.

According to Newegg, the top CPU is still at full retail price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115212&cm_re=i7_975-_-19-115-212-_-Product

A friend of mine owns a huge computer shops.And he tells me 90 percent of people coming to buy cpu only want i3,i5, and i7.Most people donot know AMD also makes CPU.In our country there are couple of intel advertisement running continiously on Tv.While AMD donot have a single one running.

Its more effective in some countries. But then again, AMD doesn't have much of a marketing department. Barley see any internet adds.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Intel’s star for this round of price cuts is the quad-core Core 2 Quad Q6600. The price cut cuts the Core 2 Quad Q6600 price in half to $266 per processor, in 1,000-unit quantities, from the existing $530 price. The Core 2 Quad Q6600 is the only sub-$300 quad-core processor available on the market. Intel has positioned the Core 2 Quad Q6700, which launched last week, at the $530 price point. http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Price+Cuts+in+Full+Swing/article8073.htm

Are you every going to stop saying such flat out stupid crap? No you are not.

notty22

Distinguished
LOL at the troll. It does not take a genius to figure out that Intel is about to launch a new generation of cpu's.
The new mid level and maybe entry price point products will be as good as the old high end products.
I think most understand the new car analogy. The new model year comes out, the brand new left overs get a steep discount. They are now competing against themselves for the consumers dollar.
One could argue the latest AMD price cuts on the 955/965 the other day were because of Thuban. Businesses have to evolve and adjust.

bobdozer

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9NDA4MjR8Q2hpbGRJRD0tMXxUeXBlPTM=&t=1

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9NTM4OTV8Q2hpbGRJRD0tMXxUeXBlPTM=&t=1

Scroll down to Assets/Inventories. You see that they have risen by a tiny little insignificant percentage yeah?

That means AMD is selling everything it makes. Now, ask yourself this. If AMD is already selling everything it makes, what would be the point in advertising except to spend money?

Now see this -

http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/blog/2010/08/27/intels-third-quarter-below-expectations?cid=rss-251533-c1-258826

Intel can't sell their chips, so they lower prices.

bobdozer

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

Sandy Bridge is at least 5 months away.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Typically fanboy. Say something that is wrong and get confronted on it then just ignore it/delete it and post more fud not related to the original point.

Like what he did in this thread and this from the other day "also a hint - using an intel burn test with an AMD cpu probably won't give the most accurate results."

Intel rules in cpu market and will continue to. Amd fanboys continue to talk blah blah blah no one will give a damm.Make no mistake about if intel really reduces prices of i7 then AMD can R.I.P.No one in right frame of mind will buy a crappy AMD cpu over a i7.

Its not only about the CPU pricing but the whole platform cost that makes AMD competitive against Intel despite Intel virtually ruling the CPU market performance scores.. A person in right frame of mind will make the right decisions geared specifically to his/her requirements rather than just blindly jumping onto the best thing possible money can get..

bobdozer

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

What are you talking about fool? All I read is thick people making crap statements about advertising - what has THAT got to do with intel lowering prices btw?

Your just a typical intel fanboy who can't accept the truth, the truth that intel had to slash prices on their i7's because they weren't selling due to far better price and performance from the X6. FACT. Only intel idiots would think this was a bad thing, instead they fabricate laughable excuses - what will be next, oh wait I know - intel didn't slash prices before because they wanted to give AMD money lol.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007

I am the fool? Did I mention one thing about advertising? No. Did I mention anything at all on why Intel has dropped the price on some i7s" No.

You are the person that stated Intel would never cut prices like this if It was not for the X6. I reminded of you of when they did do this. I will do it again q6600/q9550. What did you do? Remove what you said and went on to your next talking point. Same thing that you just did right now. All I have done is called you out on your BS.

And this is just a quote from you that is adorable. "also a hint - using an intel burn test with an AMD cpu probably won't give the most accurate results." BobDozer.

bobdozer

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

You're so full of it. You picked on me for "say something that is wrong and get confronted on it then just ignore it/delete it and post more fud not related to the original point."

Isn't that exactly what these pair of idiots did when they started talking *** about advertising?

And this is just a quote from you that is adorable. "also a hint - using an intel burn test with an AMD cpu probably won't give the most accurate results." BobDozer.

Are you on drugs or something kid? Do you understand that certain programs ie Speedfan, Coretemp, Realtemp etc are set up in configuration files for each kind of cpu, so if you are using an intel config one you'll get the wrong readings with AMD cpu's?