Sign in with
Your question

[solved] Dual output problem !!only in win7!!

Last response: in Components
September 1, 2010 12:44:15 AM

i want to play music through speakers and play game using headphones. works great in vista but not in win7 :fou: 

this is the only thing preventing me from going to windows7 and i would like to get it solved so i can try it.

in vista ult 64, i check the box in the realtek HD audio manager that says "make front and rear output devices playback two different audio streams simultaneously"

i then start winamp and play some music.

plug in headphones and make sure they are the default audio device. (music still playing through speakers)

start my game and the sounds goes to headphones, i get no music through the headphones.

this is perfect and what i want. i love it :)  nice clear gaming using the headset and i still can listen to music.

i try this in win7 with all the latest drivers
and every time i switch the default audio device to the headphones, everything goes to the headphones. the speakers no longer work.

is there a solution to this problem? any help would be great. i want to try win7

using biostar ta790gx with alc888 audio
September 1, 2010 10:03:24 AM

Windows 7 does not support dual output. That was one of the compromises they made for the sake of sound quality.
m
l
September 1, 2010 11:13:18 AM

that would explain it.

it is a great feature and i find it hard to believe they just scraped it? the dual output option is still in the audio manager? i hope i can find a solution to this.

any one know of a media player that i can select the output device? or can any one else confirm the removal of dual output support for win7? there has got to be a work around?
m
l
Related resources
September 1, 2010 11:55:44 AM

after all this time i think i figured it out. after getting the heads up that this was a windows problem and not a driver issue, i figured i would do it manually and it worked :)  just make winamp only play through the speakers ;) 

in winamp, select preferences, output and double click on the sound device and then find the one that is the speakers. click apply, stop the music playing and start it again. it will play in the speakers and the other stuff will go to the headphones.

i can't wait to try win7
m
l
September 1, 2010 12:26:35 PM

^^ Yeah, in programs that let you manualy select a sound device, you can do what you want. I do this myself; music in Winamp through my D2, and everything else through my G35.
m
l
September 1, 2010 10:21:04 PM

i guess this is the only way to go? i feel like such an idiot, after trying win7 6 months ago i gave up because of this one thing. i found the patch to get my quick launch back, was able to deal with no user toolbar-taskbars but this i did not find any help with.

i hope other users with this same issue can find this thread, win7 is the future.
m
l
!