Sign in with
Your question

Working on a new gaming rig and would like some input

Last response: in Systems
July 3, 2010 5:59:36 PM

I am attempting to build a gaming pc and it will be my first build. I know that I want to be running two radeon hd 5870 video cards using the crossfire but what I am trying to figure out is a good cpu and motherboard to handle these. Also I don't know much about sound cards so if anyone can give me any info on what they think would be a good card to handle gaming and also some movies (thinking of adding a blue ray player) that would be much appreciated. Like I said this is my first pc so go easy on me I'm still learning and any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 3, 2010 6:48:12 PM

First suggestion, post in the format linked in my signature.

If you're looking at Crossfire 5870s, you will probably want to either go with an Intel i7-930 build or an AMD Phenom II X4 955/965 build.

Most people find sound cards unnecessary these days, as onboard sound is very good. Typically it's recommended that you get the computer without a sound card, and if you find it lacking, but it after the fact.
July 3, 2010 7:24:53 PM

Ok cool thanks for the info I will post next time in the format you asked. I was thinking about the i7-920 but not sure on the motherboard. I looked at the asus p6t6.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Would you recommend that for the setup that I am going for? I wont worry about the sound card then and see how the onboard does. That will at least save me some money. I don't know much about overclocking would you recommend doing that for a gaming machine? Is there anything specific that I would need to do buy to be able to do that? Also I was thinking of adding 6 gig or ram do you think I should do more? Or less? Thanks for your help Coldsleep
Related resources
July 3, 2010 10:00:01 PM

bump
July 4, 2010 1:00:14 AM
July 4, 2010 3:48:04 AM

Thanks but im not really looking to buy a unit from somone I want to build my own. This is a little off of the topic that I posted really I will look into the motherboard and cpu though thanks
July 4, 2010 2:48:04 PM

Yea sorry. I was in the shopping list state of mind. Those were the parts that I planned on buying over the summer and I thought I would just share them with you.
July 4, 2010 5:59:57 PM

if your looking for new build check out the new hexacore processor by AMD. Is this going to be a strickly gaming machine or an all around machine. The reason i ask is because in I-5 will do wonders. an I-7 is not worth it, due to the fact that you can over clock an I-5 faster than an I-7 and they are cheaper as well.
July 4, 2010 6:40:49 PM

This will primarily be a gaming machine. I plan to strictly use it for gaming and was gonna connect it through hdmi to my LCD tv. I really don't know anything about overclocking and how it works but I am open to suggestions I just want a fast computer and definitely want to run two radeon hd 5870 video cards. I'm also thinking about using the nzxt tempest case and the asus p6t6 ws revolution mobo
!