Hard drive not showing up in bios

justbringit85

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Here is the problem:
I recently built my computer. I put a motherboard that has 6.0 GB sata. When I turned my computer on, my hard drive didn't show up when it booted. I went into the bios, and it wasn't there. So I restarted my computer, and it showed up in bios and loaded fine. But now every time I shut down my computer, I have to restart it in order for my hard drive to load and show up in bios. Other than having to restart the computer, it works fine, no other issues.

Here is what I'm already tried:
1. Reinstalled windows 7 and reformatted
2. Made sure my bios was updated
3. Made sure the sata connections were in the correct spots and also switched them up to see if that would work, nope.
4. Did a windows 7 repair, didn't help things once I restarted again.

My best guess if there might be a compatibility issue with my hard drive and my new motherboard. Maybe the 6 GB sata won't work right with my hard drive?

Computer specs:
http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=555&tab=3
A880GZ ver 6x Biostar mobo
Western digital hard drive 1.5 TB, 64 cache (WDC WD1501FASS-00U0B0)
4GB Corsair vengeance RAM
600 W power supply
AMD FX 4100 Quad-Core CPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

Solution
Are you able to boot from this drive without restarting?

Try using this drive in the 3 GB/s slot. In this drive, there is no difference in performance having it in the 6GB/s VS. 3GB/s slot any way, best to save it for something that will actually use it.

There doesn't seem to be any known issues with these two devices. 1 must be faulty.

Try a factory reset of the BIOS.

Try the drive out in another computer. if it works fine there, your issue is with either Biostar, or the store that sold it to you.

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Are you able to boot from this drive without restarting?

Try using this drive in the 3 GB/s slot. In this drive, there is no difference in performance having it in the 6GB/s VS. 3GB/s slot any way, best to save it for something that will actually use it.

There doesn't seem to be any known issues with these two devices. 1 must be faulty.

Try a factory reset of the BIOS.

Try the drive out in another computer. if it works fine there, your issue is with either Biostar, or the store that sold it to you.

Solution

justbringit85

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
If I go into bios and restore the defaults, it automatically restarts and it then shows up and works. But next time I turn on the computer, it won't show again.

I don't have any 3GB sata slots unfortunately, only the 6GB slots.....

I wish I had another computer to put the hard drive in but I don't.

I also tried to clear cmos, and after I did that and restarted my computer, it said cmos fail.....I restarted my computer and it worked again.

justbringit85

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
I contacted Biostar and they just recommended a return. It's strange because my mobo clear cmos jumper is all messed up. Right now my computer is working in the clear cmos jumper setting....if I put it in the default position, my computer won't turn on. So something clearly is wrong with the mobo, it can't be the hard drive. So I guess I'm stuck with having to return my mobo and get a new one, but thanks for trying to help me guys.