Sign in with
Your question

Q9550 cpu failer

Last response: in CPUs
September 1, 2010 1:02:54 AM

Ok so awhile ago i bought the 45nm q9550 and i put it on an asus p5n-e sli and if you look that up you will see that a 45nm cpu shouldn't work on it but i didn't know that. I thought that if it was lga 775 that it will work with no problems. I was wrong.

My computer started to have strange problems like the computer freezing up and files in the computer getting deleted. So after 6 months i finally found the problem and bought an asus p5n-d and my computer went 2 months without me having to reinstall windows because the registry kept getting messed up by the cpu i think. So i was on xfire playing guild wars and my computer freezes up and im anoyed at this point so when i get it back up steam wont start up eather because it says something about the registry or because it crashes on start up.

So i was pissed and i wanted to play bfbc2 cuz 2 of my friends just got it and so i reinstalled windows and steam still had the same problems and google chrome is messing up and i can't play dragon age and i'v reinstalled win7 like 4 times since then and used boot and nuke to wipe my hard drive just incase some weerd virus got on :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  :fou:  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On top of the i had to post this on a different computer because mine wouldn't sign in to let me post(i knew i shouldn't have named it hal)

My build is:
intel Q9550 quad core 2.8GHz
Crucial 4GB DDR2
Nvidia GTX275
ASUS P5N-D
Windows 7

More about : q9550 cpu failer

a c 89 à CPUs
September 1, 2010 3:11:47 AM

You didnt look hard enough. That motherboard DOES support 45nm. I have a p5n-e sli motherboard running a core 2 e6600, and my dad uses the same motherboard with a q9300 (which is 45nm). That CPU should work fine. Have you updated the BIOS??????
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
September 1, 2010 4:00:19 AM

I believe the motherboard did not support a 1333MHz FSB to start with.. A BIOS upgrade might have corrected that.. Anyway, returning to your current situation, did you go through a complete hard drive format before installing/reinstalling windows.? Is your motherboard running on the latest stable (not beta) BIOS version available for it.?
m
l
Related resources
a c 172 à CPUs
September 1, 2010 4:41:19 AM

Maybe that particular 650i motherboard does support Yorkfield CPU's, but most do not.

I tried a Q9550 in my eVGA 680i motherboard (latest BIOS) and it wouldn't POST. It wasn't an FSB problem. The board stopped working at just over 440 MHz.

That's when I moved to Gigabyte motherboards. I now have 5 in various computers here and there.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2010 4:52:36 AM

This is user error related. A cpu can not cause registry errors.
m
l
a c 89 à CPUs
September 1, 2010 8:27:52 AM

on the box of the board that I have it says 1333 FSB ready, they all are. You need a BIOS uupdate to get it to recognise the newer CPU's as the correct model, but even before the BIOS update they still work, but dont report as being a "Q9300" etc, just intel 4 cores at whatever mhz.
m
l
September 1, 2010 10:30:34 AM

So right now i in ubuntu and its working perfect. What i don't understand is that i'v reinstalled windows once every month for the past year because it starts having problems and the problems keep getting worse and worse. Every time i did a reinstall i did a proper wipe and now it says its having problems with CAPI2 -_-
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
September 1, 2010 12:16:52 PM

If you installed or tried installing windows after installing any linux distro then the problems will appear often.. It is because the basic windows boot loader fails to read the linux boot loader.. If you want to dual boot then make sure you install windows first and then linux..
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2010 6:14:38 PM

If I was having to reformat to fix my windows that often to fix file corruption I would buy a new hard drive. :) 

If Emperus didn't find your issue.
m
l
September 1, 2010 7:34:09 PM

What i did was i installed ubuntu later. You say that it might be the hard drive but i'v tried it on another hard drive but ill try it again.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2010 11:17:05 PM

I'll say it again. It is user error. This is not hardware related.
m
l
September 2, 2010 1:41:45 AM

what could i have done wrong then? My gauge is steam. I format my hard drive, reinstall my computer then install steam and it has the same problem as before.
m
l
a c 89 à CPUs
September 2, 2010 3:01:21 AM

have you even thought that something else could be wrong? The problems you are describing sound more like bad RAM or bad Hard drive.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 2, 2010 5:23:37 AM

Stress test the system with ubuntu running. You already stated the machine runs perfect when its running.

If there is no problems do the same on a fresh install of windows. I only say fresh simply because you claim the current one is screwed up.

You can also and should run memtest as well. I do not recall if its still there but you used to able to do right from the grub boot menu. If not either burn a memtest iso or use the unbuntu install media. Pretty sure its still on there.
m
l
September 2, 2010 6:14:30 AM

someguy7 said:
Stress test the system with ubuntu running. You already stated the machine runs perfect when its running.

If there is no problems do the same on a fresh install of windows. I only say fresh simply because you claim the current one is screwed up.

You can also and should run memtest as well. I do not recall if its still there but you used to able to do right from the grub boot menu. If not either burn a memtest iso or use the unbuntu install media. Pretty sure its still on there.

You say a fresh install and that is what is do. I reinstall windows, download steam, install steam and steam wont start up and when i try EVERYTHING it either comes up with something saying thats already in the registry or it just plane crashes, and in the log something i see a lot of errors pertaining to CAPI2. All of these new problems started after my computer freezed up at one point. My friend is coming over tomorrow for me to cannibalize his computer so i can see whats wrong with mine :D 
m
l
a c 89 à CPUs
September 3, 2010 3:09:18 AM

Why dont you just run memtest 86+ to check ram and scan for bad sectors with seatools or something? beats cannibalising someones computer.
m
l
September 10, 2010 12:38:27 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
Why dont you just run memtest 86+ to check ram and scan for bad sectors with seatools or something? beats cannibalising someones computer.

well right now windows flipped and its saying that its not genuine BUT everything's working fine now. I did do the mem test but i haven't done any research on ram as of yet so didn't know what i was looking at, all i saw was a bunch of red. What should i do from here then, buy new ram? :( 
m
l
!