Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Toshiba satellite monitor

Last response: in Systems
July 3, 2010 8:22:33 PM

Hello,a few days ago, while working my monitor suddenly went black. turned it off and back on, all that shows up is just a flash of windows7 logo, then totally black again. I installed windows 7 about 3 months ago.no problems, about2 weeks ago i installed the program openoffice to my laptop as i didn't have any word programs and i needed to do some work with it. along with openoffice came a search engine called ALOT. It really ran slow after this. since my computer is a little over 2yr old i am out of warranty, i called the toshiba help desk. all they told me was to unplug the computer and remove the battery and reinstall the battery and replug, turn on and boot up. Didn't work, nothing has, still have a black screen. Any ideas to help this. Thank you
its a Satellite P205-S7806 W/pent.dual core T2330. Help Please
July 3, 2010 8:29:09 PM

Download a Linux Live distro (Ubuntu, openSUSE,etc) and see if you can boot in to that (you will need to change boot order to CD drive first). If you can, then it's not a hardware issue.

Quote:
along with openoffice came a search engine called ALOT.

AFAIK, Open Office doesn't install any tool bars....
m
l
July 12, 2010 2:54:17 AM

harleybosn said:
Hello,a few days ago, while working my monitor suddenly went black. turned it off and back on, all that shows up is just a flash of windows7 logo, then totally black again. I installed windows 7 about 3 months ago.no problems, about2 weeks ago i installed the program openoffice to my laptop as i didn't have any word programs and i needed to do some work with it. along with openoffice came a search engine called ALOT. It really ran slow after this. since my computer is a little over 2yr old i am out of warranty, i called the toshiba help desk. all they told me was to unplug the computer and remove the battery and reinstall the battery and replug, turn on and boot up. Didn't work, nothing has, still have a black screen. Any ideas to help this. Thank you
its a Satellite P205-S7806 W/pent.dual core T2330. Help Please

sunday 11 july- I went over my laptop, checked the drivers, uninstalled some programs(alot) and some others, The screen isn't black, I can still see what is showing, but very dark, i think maybe the back light is inoperative, will i have to buy a new screen or must i have a computer repair shop fix the backlight. can it be fixed at all, or will i have to get new screen.
Any answers are greatly appreciated,

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 12, 2010 7:34:06 AM

It could be either backlight, the inverter board, which is what provides power to the lcd, or it could bethe motherboard itself. I worked on a Mac once that was like that. Ended up being a bad motherboard. However, that may not be typical. A shop will most likely start with replacing the inverter board, then the screen. Hint...if you are technical, many times you can find new lcd screens on ebay for about 80-100 bucks, and most of the time, on pc laptops, just a few screws on the front to get the back cover off. So if you are comfortable with electronics and comfortable with working with small parts, you may be able to locate the screen and inverter board and maybe save some cash. Maybe start with the screen as it would be easiest, then go from there.
July 22, 2010 5:01:46 AM

Best answer selected by harleybosn.
m
l
!