My first build. need ssd for os $100

beneckejames

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
hello i am attempting my first build ever and i will have 3x2tb WD HDs for storage but i have lost my main drive before and i never want this to happen again so i think i need a SSD just for win7 64 and programs. i was thinking 120-128gb is this good or would 60gb be enough? i dont not use any large programs or games. then my last question can anybody recommend a good ssd for my needs around $100 or less. thank you vary much. ps i will be using asus saber 990fx and amd fx-8150 in a corsair c70 case with tx850 PSU and H70 cooler

We need to know what country you are ? which website do you shop?

But I will recommend to buy like 102 GB/128GB of M4, Samsung 830, intel 330, Kingston HyperX 3K, SanDisk Extreme, and Corsair Force Series GT. And if you only install the win7(~20GB) and a couples of program in the SSD, 60/64gb should be fine. You can't fill up to 90% of the SSD, because it need some space to do the garbage collection and TRIM.

Get the one has the lower price of per GB/$.

game junky

Distinguished
I have alot of your same components (8150/Sabertooth,850PSU) - I was using an 120GB Intel 520 in my rig and couldn't have been happier. It's insanely fast, incredibly reliable and I had no compatibility issues with Windows drivers. The cherryville series is the cadillac of SSDs. CompUSA's site had them for $99 today, but I think they're sold out

I would recommend the Samsung 830 - they have all of the same pros as the Intel 520s, they're just a tiny bit slower of write speeds. They're usually in that price range and they're excellent - I have used them in nearly every laptop build I have done this last year and have yet to have one crash.

120/128GB is more than enough space for your OS/Programs. You'll never regret that choice, trust me

eddiesaunders

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

I am using 3 of the same SSDs now these are Silicon Power Velox V60 2.5" 120GB SSSDs on Sata3 ports and their spec of 550 read and 510 write seems to be what I see, these were bought because the $99 price tag here (in Western Australia) made them very attractive proposition for my first SSDs, and am very happy with the performance of these drives.

If you can afford a 120 / 128Gb ssd get one of these as I have noted that space can disappear very fast with some applications such as Google Earth etc, also follow the guide "Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs" as this will help with space constraints.

When first installed here on the i3 PC that has 16Gb of ram I noticed that the bare windows 7 professional (64bit) installation used some 40Gb of the SSD space, following that guide I Turned Off the Hibernation File, Shrunk the Page File down to about 1Gb for compatabilty issues, I have after installing a few programs and run the SSD for some months now the space used is now about 20Gb on the i3 as well as the i7 I use.

Cheers Eddie

This is the ssd for you my friend SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147163#top don't miss out best bang for buck most fast reliable ssd your going to get period for that price enjoy check the reviews and toms hardware ssd chart if you want proof but don't play around for to long price will go back up soon!