Xfx gtx 260 black edition BAD GPU can I RMA???

ketrab

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
Hey,

Long story short I started playing bfbc2, but after 10-15 minutes the game would just crash... not like you could exit the game but whole system froze (audio with video). I went through many forums and I noticed that wayy to many ppl have the same problem with this GPU (overheating/crashing) Please see below and tell me what you think??!?!

my specs:
q9550 on true w/two fans
asus p5qse2
4gb ocz reapers
xfx gtx 260 black edition 'factory overcloked"
win7

After intensive tests this is what I discovered.

1) There was a possibility of having a bad PSU so I went to my friend house and used his cooler master 1200watts certified psu on my mobo with gpu to see if this could be an issue. With no luck the gpu crashed on furmark test somewhere around 79 C with 100% fan.

2) I thought it could be my mobo so i played with my rams, did memtest for 12 hours no errors, change from dual to single channel-no luck. I even plugged my gpu to his mobo to find out if I have a bad mobo... Same thing happened on his rig. GPU crashed after getting high temp's

3) lastly what I thought since this is a xfx gtx 260 black edition, factory overclocked I used EVGA precision to lower my clocks.

What I found out that not even at 100% the gpu was working on 85+ C and no crush for about 30 minutes vs 10 on her stock frequencies.

It appears that factory overclock is not stable. My question is now is that the legit reason for RMA??? Since I paid big bucks to have "black edition" and have it OC why would i down clock my GPU if I could buy cheaper gtx????

Don't you think that this card if faulty???!?! I'm tired of Nvidia and their freaking overheating.... what you think ... help---- im tired its almost 1 am and I wonder why didn't I go with ATI but that freaking Nvidia ..........

once again... is this a legit reason to have it RMA and hopefully get a new GPU?!?!

ps. if you are interested in details please see my older thread

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282542-28-tomshardware#t2116702

acer0169

Distinguished
It's a legit reason to RMA yes. You haven't paid for a normal GTX 260, you've bought an overclocked one.. and if it can't run stable with the overclock then they either need to pay you the difference or accept the return.

Send it back, get yourself a new one :].

kungfuanomaly

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Dude ketrab,
I've been battling my XFX260 Black Edtions for years and I just now found the fix and it's a voltage issue with the cards BIOS. XFX doesn't even know the solution b/c I've already RMA'd and you'll just get someone else card with the same problem. Depending on your knowledge and tech skill, follow M@NH@X's instructions on this thread and it will resolve you're problem:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=193229

There are other articles on the actual details to flashing your graphics cards BIOS but I have verified this solution works (make sure you make a backup of your cards BIOS).

Once you're done you'll finally get to enjoy your cards at the factory overclock with leaving the fans on auto-control.