Dropped my 256GB SSD on the floor right after opening the package!!!!!

heizenbrg

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Just got my Samsung 830 256GB, opened it on the wrong side and it fell flat on the wooden floor. The manual said it can withstand shock, but how do I check if it still goes well in the long run? I'm waiting for other components to build my pc, so I can't test it out now, and I got 3 yr warranty. Should I return it just in case?

Solution

As there are no moving parts in an SSD there should be no problems what so ever if you drop the drive, if you shake the drive are there any rattling noises ?

If not do not worry just install the ssd into the PC, install the OS and enjoy the performance boost the SSD gives your system, once you install the SSD have a look at this...

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
I doubt your warranty covers incidentals but if it does, better take advantage of the opportunity.

Being an SSD it does have higher tolerance for such incidents, but it could have sustained damage.

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
i'm sure it will be fine. my friend dropped his WD 500GB RE4 on a wooden floor and it's working fine till this day. SSDs can handle more damage as they are not mechanical (like Dr_JRE said) try hooking it up to a friends PC and see if the BIOS detects it or something.

heizenbrg

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

crap, well it wasn't exactly really smart packaging, it came in a cardboard box with paper wrapped around the ssd package, but I can live with that. The actual ssd box was the bad part, it was in a plastic tray, unsecured, so buy opening the other way it fell on the floor.
I bought it from compUSA, have no means of testing it right now so I should take advantage of the 30 day return policy and get a new one, to avoid problems along the road, since I'm new at this and it will actually be my first build, what do you think?

heizenbrg

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

that's all I need to do to check it? I have no problems returning it though,plus Im at my relatives home, would need to open up their pc for a sata cable lol

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Detecting it in the BIOS will not give you a clear idea of what is going on with a drive.

If you can, download Seagate's Seatools and run a diagnostic. (Seagate owns Samsung's HDD division).

eddiesaunders

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

As there are no moving parts in an SSD there should be no problems what so ever if you drop the drive, if you shake the drive are there any rattling noises ?

If not do not worry just install the ssd into the PC, install the OS and enjoy the performance boost the SSD gives your system, once you install the SSD have a look at this http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds in order to get the best from the SSD, I saved some 16+Gb of space by following that guide.

For your information even hard disks can stand a drop onto the floor when they are not spinning and have the heads parked.

Cheers Eddie

Solution

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
I have broken PLENTY of solid state devices by dropping them short distances. (Usually phones and MP3 players.)

Run the Seatools Diagnostic.

You shouldn't return it anyway, that's unethical. :p