AD900 + Auzentech X-Fi Forte OR...

matthewh133

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Hey guys, I'm about to take the plunge and purchase a new set of headphones for my PC. I am using my PC for aroun 40% Gaming, 40% Music and 20% Movies. I have been reading a lot of reviews and have found the AD900 + Auzentech X-Fi Forte to be, apparently, a phenomenal combination for what I am after?

Basically, I need great sound from my gaming, as I play FPS (CS:S). Positional awareness is very important, as is sound quality. I am studying audio engineering, so I also want a set-up that will help me listen to extremely high quality and responsive music.

I have narrowed down the choices to:

Sound Card:

Auzentech X-Fi Forte
OR
Asus Xonar Essence STX

Headphones:
Audio Technica ATH-AD900

What do you think is the best possible set-up I could go for here? I believe the AD900 + Auzentech X-Fi Forte may the way to go, with amazing gaming performance and a great music listening experience from the Forte, rather than the amazing music sound of the STX, but lackluster gaming performance.. but just getting some further opinions!

Thanks a lot for any advice/suggestions.

I have an Essence STX along with a pair of AKG K701's.
Sound great for movies and music.
It also works great for gaming with Dolby Headphone virtual 5.1 surround (7.1 is also supported but it does not sound as clear or accurate to me).
Perhaps not as clear as the dedicated 5.1 surround, but surprisingly accurate.
Good enough even that I now game exclusively with my cans.

Both are good cards and either will treat you fine.

matthewh133

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009

Thanks mate. One question I do have is the importance of the headphones v the sound card. You hear reviews saying the AD700/900 is an amazing headphone for gaming because of its large soundstage. So with that, no matter which of the two sound cards I pick, both should sound great with regards to positioning in-game? If the STX with my cans (probably AD900) will sound great in gaming and do what I need well, then I'm sold.

taso11

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I have the ATH-A900's. They are awesome! I hear things that I never heard before. One of my all time best purchases. They get even better with a headphone amp. I run them with a Little Dot MK III.

Both will sound great, the only real difference (aside from the Forte using CMSS3d where the STX uses Dolby/DTS techs) is how the audio is processed. As a rule, ASUS cards lean slightly toward better reproduction of music and Auzentech leans slightly toward better reproducting of sounds in games. Neither one should have any trouble with directional audio, so it really comes down to preference,

matthewh133

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Ok.. so I've conducted some further reading and apparently, from some threads I have read, CMSS 3D, used by the Forte, provided muffling and just generally made things sound worse in-game when used? Whereas the Dolby Headphone did not degrade the sound. Can anyone share their experience with this?