Multiple drive questions

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
hey, i just bought my 128GB Samsung 830 for my OS and some games and programs, and i have a 500GB WD RE4 as a storage drive. i can't run programs off of my RE4. how can i save other junk to my RE4 and run em off of that drive instead of my SSD?

Solution
A simple google search.

1. Start Registry Editor by entering “Regedit” in the search All programs.

2. Locate the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

3. Right click on the value named ProgramFilesDir & change the default value C:\Program Files to the path you want to install all your programs in.

4. Click OK and Exit.

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
yes. i want to run programs already installed on my RE4 (it was my last OS drive, then i upgraded to this) and i want to install some games and programs i use a lot onto my SSD and run everything else that i have off of my RE4. how can i do this?

To install programs on the storage drive I created a Program Files folder. When prompted for an install location I change the drive letter from C: to D: leaving the rest intact. For example I would change C:\Program Files to D:\Program Files. You may want to create a second program files folder (Program Files (x86) for 32 bit programs but I'm not sure this is required. You may need to reinstall the programs you installed under the previous OS as they may not work properly if you do not.

I'm not sure copying the programs to your SSD will cause them to work.
http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_copy_preinstalled_software_to_another_machine.html
Though the above link address pre-installed software and the legalities of moving it to another computer it does have some advice that may be useful. You can try copying the program folder to exact same folder on the new OS drive and see if it works. It really all depends on the software itself and whether it is simply a click and run package or one that installs parts of the installation to other Windows folders.

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
*sigh* i don't see how that would helps me at all. all i want to do is have some programs on my RE4 and some on my SSD. how do i do this?

maybe you don't understand or something. i already have a ton of games like world of tanks, combat arms, counter strike, L4D etc. games that don't need SSD speeds to load quickly. but, when i try loading them up running windows 7 on my SSD, they don't work. i still have windows installed on my RE4 and i can boot from my RE4, and when i do i open them just fine.

I JUUSSTT WANNA USE 2 DRIVES AT ONCE!! :( :( :( why is that so damn difficult? don't like 100s of people do this? i read on forums and reviews all the time about people have SSDs as boot drives and some frequently used programs that can use that SSD speed effectively and put everything else on their HDD and run them off that. how come i can't do this?!?!

mark4685

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
For games I just use mklink in command prompt. You have to install the game on the main drive first. You copy the files to the D: drive and make a directory folder on the C: drive, so your computer thinks it's installed on the C drive but it's really on the D drive. I can give you directions if that's what you're looking for.

mark4685

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Start by going to the folder where the program/game is installed, then do a "CUT and Paste" into a folder on the other drive. Now open command prompt and type: mklink then enter. (For this next part you want to type in the directory of where the program used to be to where it is now.)

For example:Type mklink /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Portal 2" "D:\Games\Portal 2" ENTER. That should create a short cut folder that leads to the folder on the other drive. You should be able to use the computer like normal while utilizing both drives.

The one that says - Windows 7 - Program Files Directory - Change Default for Installs

Also there's a program called steam mover that was created specifically to move steam games between a SSD and a HDD, but cam be used to move any program(not just steam).

You can't just copy programs from one system to another. If you install an OS, you have to install the programs.

A simple google search.

1. Start Registry Editor by entering “Regedit” in the search All programs.

2. Locate the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

3. Right click on the value named ProgramFilesDir & change the default value C:\Program Files to the path you want to install all your programs in.

4. Click OK and Exit.

Solution