there are few command line utilities that come with xp,
one of them is old "edit.exe".
but on some computers it is not operable: it does not
reacts on some keystrokes, or shows wrong characters.

on some other computers, it [edit.exe] works perfectly under xp!

since edit.exe comes with oem xp preinstalled, it is strange that doesn't
work
on some computers [it is true that notepad is better, but i
sometimes need exactly edit.exe]

is there some common tweak to make edit.exe work on every xp computer?

edit.com is the MS-DOS Editor not edit.exe. Edit.com is a text editor used
to create and edit ASCII text files.

[[Windows XP does not use this command. It is accepted only for
compatibility with MS-DOS files.]]

Edit
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/edit.mspx

[[Windows XP and the Windows Server 2003 family of products do not use this
command. It is included only to preserve compatibility with existing MS-DOS
files, but it has no effect at the command line because the functionality is
automatic. ]]

Edit
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/edit.asp

Depending on what you're trying to do a stone tablet, hammer and chisel may
be easier. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23ApGVqAKFHA.1308@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
sali <gabor.salai@tel.net.ba> hunted and pecked:

> edit.com is the MS-DOS Editor not edit.exe. Edit.com is a text editor
used
> to create and edit ASCII text files.
>
> [[Windows XP does not use this command. It is accepted only for
> compatibility with MS-DOS files.]]

yes, it is .com not .exe [hidden extension, sorry]

yes, it is compatibility tool, and is highly obsolete.

but question is why it doesn't work on some xp computers when
delivered through standard installation?
it is not usual to distribute tools that are not usable at all!
on some computers edit simply not recognizes keystroke!
is it expectable?
what is the reason to deliver tool that are not fully operational?

is there some neccessary tweakings to improve it?
is there some hopeless mb/bios/chipset conflict?

i have few old 16bit apps that sometimes [on some xp computers] behave
the same like mentioned edit.com [not responding properly to keypress],
so hoped to recovering functionality of edit.com also recover
their functionality, or at least find the reason why they fail.

any help, please?

> In news:%23ApGVqAKFHA.1308@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> sali <gabor.salai@tel.net.ba> hunted and pecked:
> > there are few command line utilities that come with xp,
> > one of them is old "edit.exe".
> > but on some computers it is not operable: it does not
> > reacts on some keystrokes, or shows wrong characters.
> >
> > on some other computers, it [edit.exe] works perfectly under xp!
> >
> > since edit.exe comes with oem xp preinstalled, it is strange that
> > doesn't work
> > on some computers [it is true that notepad is better, but i
> > sometimes need exactly edit.exe]
> >
> > is there some common tweak to make edit.exe work on every xp computer?

sali,

Yes, some tools may work when XP is first installed. A combination of
things seem to render some of them unuseable. I.e. hardware combination,
some Windows Updates, or whatever.

If this were not true, sites like this...

Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm

wouldn't have so many fixes. ;-)

In a nutshell, I don't know enough about edit.com to answer why it works on
some machines and not others.

You could try to expand EDIT.CO_ from the I386 folder on the XP CD to
WINDOWS\system32\edit.com

Sorry I wasn't more help.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eLCC94CKFHA.3420@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
sali <gabor.salai@tel.net.ba> hunted and pecked:
>> edit.com is the MS-DOS Editor not edit.exe. Edit.com is a text
>> editor used to create and edit ASCII text files.
>>
>> [[Windows XP does not use this command. It is accepted only for
>> compatibility with MS-DOS files.]]
>>

> yes, it is .com not .exe [hidden extension, sorry]
>
> yes, it is compatibility tool, and is highly obsolete.
>
> but question is why it doesn't work on some xp computers when
> delivered through standard installation?
> it is not usual to distribute tools that are not usable at all!
> on some computers edit simply not recognizes keystroke!
> is it expectable?
> what is the reason to deliver tool that are not fully operational?
>
> is there some neccessary tweakings to improve it?
> is there some hopeless mb/bios/chipset conflict?
>
> i have few old 16bit apps that sometimes [on some xp computers] behave
> the same like mentioned edit.com [not responding properly to
> keypress], so hoped to recovering functionality of edit.com also
> recover
> their functionality, or at least find the reason why they fail.
>
> any help, please?
>

>> In news:%23ApGVqAKFHA.1308@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> sali <gabor.salai@tel.net.ba> hunted and pecked:
>>> there are few command line utilities that come with xp,
>>> one of them is old "edit.exe".
>>> but on some computers it is not operable: it does not
>>> reacts on some keystrokes, or shows wrong characters.
>>>
>>> on some other computers, it [edit.exe] works perfectly under xp!
>>>
>>> since edit.exe comes with oem xp preinstalled, it is strange that
>>> doesn't work
>>> on some computers [it is true that notepad is better, but i
>>> sometimes need exactly edit.exe]
>>>
>>> is there some common tweak to make edit.exe work on every xp
>>> computer?

It will also depend on which "shell" you run it from "cmd.exe" or
"command.com". Both the NT shell (cmd.exe) and the old DOS shell
(command.com) are present on NT or XP machines, both will run, but some
functions of command.com are unpredictable, therefore making any software
run from them unpredictable.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"

"Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:#4jvyBcKFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> It will also depend on which "shell" you run it from "cmd.exe" or
> "command.com". Both the NT shell (cmd.exe) and the old DOS shell
> (command.com) are present on NT or XP machines, both will run, but some
> functions of command.com are unpredictable, therefore making any software
> run from them unpredictable.

i've tried both of them. in fact, i've read somewhere that when calling
16bit app
no matter which shell, command.com will be called internaly to handle 16bit
app.

my experience shows me that chipset, especialy video card may be the
problem.
it surely depends on software/drivers bound with card, but simply, some
hardware
configs work, some not.
we even made a list of "proven" hardware to run these 16bit app under xp.

this last i was writing about is a brand new "out from the box",
preinstalled
hp notebook, and delivered 16bit compatibility software [edit.com] doesn't
work!

> "sali" <gabor.salai@tel.net.ba> wrote in message
> > there are few command line utilities that come with xp,
> > one of them is old "edit.exe".
> > but on some computers it is not operable: it does not
> > reacts on some keystrokes, or shows wrong characters.
> >
> > on some other computers, it [edit.exe] works perfectly under xp!
> >
> > since edit.exe comes with oem xp preinstalled, it is strange that
doesn't
> > work
> > on some computers [it is true that notepad is better, but i
> > sometimes need exactly edit.exe]
> >
> > is there some common tweak to make edit.exe work on every xp computer?

Using command.com will open cmd.exe.

[[When a command is entered for execution by this shell {command.com}, it
does not actually execute it. Instead, it packages the command text and
sends it to a 32-bit CMD.EXE command shell for execution.]]

The Windows NT Command Shell
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winntas/deploy/shellscr.mspx

Scroll down to (or Ctrl + F, for COMMAND.COM runs CMD.EXE)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User