Is Corsair vx550 too much?

shashi101

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I hav Corsair VX550...i just bought a new rigg i.e
amd x6 1055t
msi 890gx
2gb ddr3 corsair 1600mhz
but my mobo died when i connectd it to my psu.the hardware engineer said it was bcause the psu is too much for the PC...
too much current,etc,,,,,he said it is good only if the pc is working in crossfire....
IS it true??

katiklysm

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

I am no expert, but this explanation sounds extremely far fetched...

A.) 550W is not generally sufficient for Crossfire- unless you are using older cards.
B.) Many reviews do low load testing- and I believe PSUs are at peak efficiency ~ 60% of load, so 330W would be your peak efficiency level on this PSU... hard to imagine that a setup of Mobo, CPU, GPU, HDD, etc. cannot meet that number on a 550W.

idk, someone with my expertise than myself should chime in- but this sounds bogus to me.

blade47

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Give the hardware engineer a whack on his head.
There is no such thing as a PSU being too much for the PC.The Corsair VX 550 W is a very good Power supply and can even handle high end graphics cards.Maybe the PSU was a bad one.Get it checked and if faulty ask for an RMA.

Hardware Engineer? I don't think so. Sounds more like a sales clerk that does not know anything about power supplies.

Corsair is a brand that has a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty (in the USA).