Sign in with
Your question

Turning an old into HTPC

Last response: in Systems
July 4, 2010 3:51:31 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this month BUDGET RANGE: none

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: itunes, watching TV and movies, surfing the web

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Thermaltake Purepower W0129RU ATX12V 600 W Power Supply - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6750 - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Sony NEC Optiarc 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Beige E-IDE / ATAPI Model 7170A-01 - OEM

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: I would like a new video card. I need 2, 20" or bigger monitors. I don't do any gaming. I would like to watch movies and TV from one monitor and surf the web on the other. I also need another hard drive. All 500GB if completely full of music. Computer runs really slow when i'm using Itunes. I also need ram. I would like 8GB ram. Probably also need a TV Tuner?? Also need a wireless mouse and keyboard.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE: probably don't need it but not sure...

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm using windows XP right now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

More about : turning htpc

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2010 8:47:18 AM

Let's just be sure we know what you need before jumping in.

First, you say this comp is slow when running itunes... that seems odd and needs to be investigated. How much RAM does it now have?

What OS are you using, or do you need that as well? Nothing you have mentioned so far would demand 8GB RAM, but if you really need that then you will also need a 64-bit OS to use it.

500GB is a lot of music. I can't even fill up my 4GB Sansa :p 
m
l
July 4, 2010 2:42:06 PM

I have no idea why the computer runs slow when using Itunes. It almost freezes scrolling through music. But I do have a lot of music! I really want to transfer it to a much larger hard drive. Maybe a 1TB??

I'm using windows XP right now. I'm happy with it. Might venture off and try Windows 7. No reason. I just like new stuff...

I have 2GB of ram now.

Thanks again for the advise!
m
l
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2010 6:29:07 PM

Well, if your HD is so crowded that XP has no room to write to virtual memory on the disk, that can cause major slows. I can also see itunes managing a big list poorly... but that's likely poor programming not a hardware issue.

Now that I think about it my Rhapsody list was very doggy on my old 2GB dual-core laptop.

Yes you should get Win 7 64-bit. 32-bit XP will not support more than about 3.4GB RAM.

I think you should look for a good deal on a Core 2 Quad. Something like this Q8400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That and 4GB of 800Mhz RAM like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CL5 or better, 1.8V

m
l
!