chugginmilk

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2012
Currently I have a 256gb crucial M4 that is quite fast, but I am looking to make my system unbelievably fast. I want to invest in a second SSD. So my question is do i have to get a second crucial M4 to set up some sort of RAID or can i get a different brand of SSD. My second question is what RAID configuration would give me the best performance out of my SSDs, or would getting a cache drive be a better option?

Thank you in advance

-chugginmilk

Solution
Cache drive is totally useless.....it's a technology w/o a market niche

If getting high benchmark scores is ya thing, two identical SSD's in RAID 0 would be way to go as the speed would be limited to the slower of the two.

For typical usage, RAID 0 is like upgrading from a keyboard that can do 300 wpm to one that can do 600 wpm.....would be a good idea except for the fact that the average professional typist does 60 - 80 wpm.

Other than benchmarks and some very specialized storage intensive apps, ya just won't see any perceivable difference.
Cache drive is totally useless.....it's a technology w/o a market niche

If getting high benchmark scores is ya thing, two identical SSD's in RAID 0 would be way to go as the speed would be limited to the slower of the two.

For typical usage, RAID 0 is like upgrading from a keyboard that can do 300 wpm to one that can do 600 wpm.....would be a good idea except for the fact that the average professional typist does 60 - 80 wpm.

Other than benchmarks and some very specialized storage intensive apps, ya just won't see any perceivable difference.

Solution