Solved

SSD RAID___

Currently I have a 256gb crucial M4 that is quite fast, but I am looking to make my system unbelievably fast. I want to invest in a second SSD. So my question is do i have to get a second crucial M4 to set up some sort of RAID or can i get a different brand of SSD. My second question is what RAID configuration would give me the best performance out of my SSDs, or would getting a cache drive be a better option?

Thank you in advance

-chugginmilk
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about raid___
  1. You don't need exactly the same model. You just need an SSD of at least 256gb (it should be 256gb, not more). You're thinking of RAID 0. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID
  2. Best answer
    Cache drive is totally useless.....it's a technology w/o a market niche

If getting high benchmark scores is ya thing, two identical SSD's in RAID 0 would be way to go as the speed would be limited to the slower of the two.

For typical usage, RAID 0 is like upgrading from a keyboard that can do 300 wpm to one that can do 600 wpm.....would be a good idea except for the fact that the average professional typist does 60 - 80 wpm.

Other than benchmarks and some very specialized storage intensive apps, ya just won't see any perceivable difference.
  3. raid size will equal the smallest drive in raid
  4. Best answer selected by chugginmilk.
  5. Thanks for the advice...i think ill just stick with my one ssd for now until it gets full then ill probably get a second
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID SSD Crucial Storage