Sign in with
Your question

P67 WS Revolution or P67 Deluxe

Last response: in Motherboards
April 3, 2011 7:28:42 PM

I am trying to decide either on the Asus p67 Deluxe or the Asus P67 WS Revolution :bounce: 

I like the fact that the deluxe gives you USB 3.0 on the board w/front panel. But if I am thinking about going 2way SLI would I be better off going with the WS Rev?

This is what I have purchased so far:

1 "Corsair Professional Series Gold High Performance 1200-Watt Power Supply CMPSU-1200AX"
2 "EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1536 MB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card - Lifetime Warranty 015-P3-1580-AR"
3 "Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2600K 3.4GHz 8MB LGA1155 CPU BX80623I72600K"
4 "OCZ Technology 120 GB Vertex 3 SATA III 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive VTX3-25SAT3-120G"
5 "ASUS VG236H 23-Inch 120 Hz 3D Ready Panel Monitor with nVidia 3D Vision Kit - Black"

I am getting ready to purchase these:

1 "Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B

Not sure which MB yet, any ideas?
a c 216 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 3, 2011 7:46:31 PM

With a single monitor at a resolution of 1920x1080 the P8P67 DELUXE should be fine.

If you were using three or more monitors, each with a resolution of 1920x1080 or higher, then I would recommend the P8P67 WS Revolution where you might notice a benefit from the Nvidia NF200 bridge chip.
m
l
a c 107 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 3, 2011 8:51:28 PM

Yeah, the Revolution's x16/x16 SLI would only be better if you had a resolution of 5760x1200 or so. Even then, it's only a very small margin of victory.

Also, make sure you get a regular hard drive to use as a data drive. The SSD should only be used as a boot drive, with Windows and a few of your most-used programs on it. It's a bad idea to use an SSD like you would a normal drive as that will shorten its service life considerably.
m
l
Related resources
April 3, 2011 9:14:05 PM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
Yeah, the Revolution's x16/x16 SLI would only be better if you had a resolution of 5760x1200 or so. Even then, it's only a very small margin of victory.

Also, make sure you get a regular hard drive to use as a data drive. The SSD should only be used as a boot drive, with Windows and a few of your most-used programs on it. It's a bad idea to use an SSD like you would a normal drive as that will shorten its service life considerably.

So when I install programs I should install them to a regular drive? The main program I use is Adobe Master Suite CS5! Install my games to Regular drive or the SSD?
I do have two 75GB Raptor 10,000 rpm drives and a 400GB regular drive that I was also going to put in this system
m
l
April 3, 2011 9:18:18 PM

I am thinking about triple monitors and another 580 but I figured in maybe next year when the price drops. What do you guys think about the Maximus iv Extreme vs the WS Revolution for Two way Sli Triple monitor setup?
m
l
a c 210 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 3, 2011 9:36:06 PM

In tests w/ the last generation GPU's we saw no real impact on SLI performance with anything less than the 470/480. Now with the 5xx series, the borderline seems to be the 560 Ti and up. I oft see it posted that x16 x16 only gives a 2 - 5 % increase in performance w/ high end cards ... well when that performance comes at an increase in cost of just 2.5% ($50 extra on a $2k box) seems a very worthwhile investment.

If ya wanna see how the WS stacks up against the competition read this:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3795/asus_p8p67_ws_rev...

I was particularly impressed by the temperature and power tests

As for ya second question......

Two 580's in SLI (x16 x16) .... Asus WS revolution
Two 580's in SLI (x16 x16) + dedicated PhysX card at x8 .... Asus Maximus IV Extreme

The Maximus also has all the great ROG features .... my take, $105 seems a lot for a PhysX card and the ROG goodies but if ya have the bucks, why not have fun and enjoy them.

Skip the Vengeance and their tall heat sinks which will interfere w/ any decent CPU cooler. If ya not doing any D rendering, CS6=5 and just doing gaming, the 16 GB is a big waste:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,...

I'd get 2 x 4GB low profile CAS 7's .... again only a 2 - 3% or so performance increase but again, it's a 2% increase in system cost and you have more than enough cash in ya budget. Add a 2nd set if ya ever have an app that will benefit from it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Gotta ask, where'd ya find the Vertex 3 ... every time I check newegg they're OOS.

If ya thinking of triple monitors, take a hard look at the 2GB ATI cards ... they often overtake their nVidia counterparts at high resolutions.
m
l
April 3, 2011 10:27:28 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
In tests w/ the last generation GPU's we saw no real impact on SLI performance with anything less than the 470/480. Now with the 5xx series, the borderline seems to be the 560 Ti and up. I oft see it posted that x16 x16 only gives a 2 - 5 % increase in performance w/ high end cards ... well when that performance comes at an increase in cost of just 2.5% ($50 extra on a $2k box) seems a very worthwhile investment.

If ya wanna see how the WS stacks up against the competition read this:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3795/asus_p8p67_ws_rev...

I was particularly impressed by the temperature and power tests

As for ya second question......

Two 580's in SLI (x16 x16) .... Asus WS revolution
Two 580's in SLI (x16 x16) + dedicated PhysX card at x8 .... Asus Maximus IV Extreme

The Maximus also has all the great ROG features .... my take, $105 seems a lot for a PhysX card and the ROG goodies but if ya have the bucks, why not have fun and enjoy them.

Skip the Vengeance and their tall heat sinks which will interfere w/ any decent CPU cooler. If ya not doing any D rendering, CS6=5 and just doing gaming, the 16 GB is a big waste:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,...

I'd get 2 x 4GB low profile CAS 7's .... again only a 2 - 3% or so performance increase but again, it's a 2% increase in system cost and you have more than enough cash in ya budget. Add a 2nd set if ya ever have an app that will benefit from it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Gotta ask, where'd ya find the Vertex 3 ... every time I check newegg they're OOS.

If ya thinking of triple monitors, take a hard look at the 2GB ATI cards ... they often overtake their nVidia counterparts at high resolutions.

I had all my stuff ready on Newegg to purchase but the Vertex 3 was out along with the monitor and ram that I selected, I clicked on some advertisement in Newegg and it took me to Amazon, so I signed up just to see what the price difference would be and I did not know this but you do not pay taxes on Amazon and all shipping was free. That is where I bought my stuff that I had mentioned ealier. Vertex 3 on Amazon!

You have been a lot of help! One more question is Physx worth it? Is that just another graphic card? Could I use the 275gtx card that I have for that?
OK 3 questions!
m
l
April 3, 2011 10:43:07 PM

I thought the P67 boards had to use ram that was rated at 1.5v?
m
l
a c 107 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 3, 2011 11:30:38 PM

Yes, 1.65v is out of specification and is likely to damage Sandy Bridge CPUs over the long term. If you fry your CPU and Intel finds out you used 1.65v RAM they will not honor their warranty.

Get 1.25v/1.35v/1.5v spec RAM and save yourself the headache.

I would install the Adobe program(s) to the SSD and the rest to the Raptors. Use the 400GB drive for your My Documents folders and such.
m
l
April 5, 2011 8:53:52 PM

man..another one of these? weren't you in a thread (or 2) with the same discussion? Forget the ws rev. ...unless you can get it cheap, its not worth it simply for the NF200...i mean, the best thing about it is the spacing, and 3 way sli capabilities....do the right thing and get the deluxe
m
l
a c 210 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 5, 2011 10:52:25 PM

vflflyer said:
I thought the P67 boards had to use ram that was rated at 1.5v?

That's from too many misinformed folks reading something and plastering it all over the internet.

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-s...

Quote:
Sandy Bridge does not demand only 1.5v modules, it will be perfectly happy with 1.65v modules too. If someone tries to tell you that you must have 1.5v modules, then they are either trying to sell them to you, or they have been reading misinformation, or both! Another point to consider here, is that in your BIOS, if you head to the memory voltage setting, and enter 1.5v, the text will remain white/grey, if you enter 1.65v, it will turn yellow, and it isn't until 1.73v that it turns red, so at the moment, I'd rest assured that 1.65v modules are OK to use, and I have had this confirmed by Asus, Gigabyte and Corsair so far, as soon as I hear from anyone else, I will update this again.

m
l
a c 210 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 5, 2011 11:03:11 PM

vflflyer said:
I had all my stuff ready on Newegg to purchase but the Vertex 3 was out along with the monitor and ram that I selected, I clicked on some advertisement in Newegg and it took me to Amazon, so I signed up just to see what the price difference would be and I did not know this but you do not pay taxes on Amazon and all shipping was free. That is where I bought my stuff that I had mentioned ealier. Vertex 3 on Amazon!

I don't pay taxes on newegg either.

Quote:
You have been a lot of help! One more question is Physx worth it? Is that just another graphic card? Could I use the 275gtx card that I have for that? OK 3 questions!

To my view, most definitely.....but decide for yaself w/ the link below. As the THG article on the subject and many others say ....once ya turn on the eye candy, you're not gonna turn it off. You can run PhysX off any nVidia card, single, SL or a dedicated PhysX card. Use on a non dedicated card will have an effect on fps as the extra processing power has to come from somewhere. If you have a game where you see it impacting game play .... a really demanding game, I mean, you might wanna invest $60 for a GT220 or something along those lines. I'd start without a dedicated card and down the road a year or so pick up a used 550 or something if ya find PhysX putting too big of a hit on anything. Again, ya can always just turn it off.

Again, whether PhysX is worth it to you, it's easy enough to watch a video and decide for yaself.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/batman_arkham_asylu...

And buy the way....the WS revolution is $20 more than the Deluxe, nice large GFX card card spacing and right in line w/ case window fan, great power regulation, 3 way SLI ..... 2 way x16 x16 SLI and all for less than a 1% increase in system cost) .
m
l
!