Sign in with
Your question

Intermittent starting,

Last response: in Components
September 1, 2010 3:09:39 PM

Hi, when i turn on my computer its quite certain to not turn on unless i switch it off at the plug. I can tell if the computer is going to fully load because the fans spin at 100% then back down. Otherwise it just turns on, with no display. What can be the cause of this?
many thanks and regards

More about : intermittent starting

a c 144 ) Power supply
September 1, 2010 5:37:13 PM

Probably a somewhat defective PSU with a fault in the standby power circuits.
a c 139 ) Power supply
September 1, 2010 5:37:27 PM

bcereuphoria said:
Hi, when i turn on my computer its quite certain to not turn on unless i switch it off at the plug.
Can you explain this further?
Related resources
a c 144 ) Power supply
September 1, 2010 5:47:02 PM

Probably the case power switch doesn't work until the PSU is switched off by its power switch. That will sort of "reset" the circuit that monitors the green wire of the PSU.

I am guessing that the fans come up, giving the illusion that the PC is working but there's no POST or boot. The "PowerOK" signal is part of the standby electronics in the PSU. No "PowerOK", no boot.
a c 139 ) Power supply
September 1, 2010 5:49:05 PM

I was thinking a surge protector switch. And that it might be the surge protector going bad. I had a neighbor go through 2 new power supplies before he called me over to help him figure out what the problem was.
a c 144 ) Power supply
September 1, 2010 6:02:47 PM

I though about that, but bc said the system wasn't completely dead.

But then, I am drawing conclusions based on incomplete information. :D 
September 1, 2010 7:05:57 PM

jsc said:

I am guessing that the fans come up, giving the illusion that the PC is working but there's no POST or boot.

That is what happens, i have also moved house so it is nothing external of the pc as the fault has followed me lol.

If i turn it off at the wall, or on the PSU for say 10seconds+ it normally fixes the issue however may need to be done twice.

my system is as follows, and i wish to upgrade to a quad core. Is it enough watt to handle it all? the PSU is 2 almost 3 years old not sure if the psu has 'aged' and lost power

powercolor 4890 PC+
m4A79T Deluxe
cd/dvd drive samsung sh-s203dbebn
AMD athlon 64 x2 dual core 6000+ 3.00ghz
4x 1gb dominator ddr2 xms2 pc2-8500c5
power supply 580w hpu-4m580
HDD

many thanks for the responses so far.
a c 91 ) Power supply
September 1, 2010 7:23:09 PM

This could be a cold start issue which can also mean that the PSU has fallen ill and requires a replacement.. Try this.. Switch ON from the wall (mains power connector) but do not turn ON your PC.. Wait a while and then try turning ON the PC.. As for the display issue, you can try this - Keep your display turned OFF as your PC is booting.. Once you know that the PC has booted up, turn ON the display.. Sorry in case i sounded all mixed up..
September 1, 2010 7:31:14 PM

many thanks for the response, but if the powersupply is ill, and what your saying is a temp fix i shall replace the powersupply.

So i guess this now turns into what to buy?
I will want to be future proof for a quad core, 4gb ddr3, 2HDD 1dvd drive, 1 blu ray, and latest ati 5870.
a c 144 ) Power supply
September 1, 2010 10:07:50 PM

A Corsair 550VX - or any similar high quality 550 watt PSU will power any CPU and any single GPU video card. But with a 5870, I'd use a 650TX.
September 2, 2010 7:44:26 AM

Well many thanks to all, much appreciatred off to buy a 650tx
!