AE8E-LE will not post

bhend55

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I plugged something new inti USB and PC froze. Now I only get the Compaq flash screen and is hangs v3.14 in the corner. the bios never loads. I tried clearing cmos but may have done it wrong and made matters worse (moved jumper to clear, then booted then moved backand booted). same result it still never loads bios. i removed the battery and reseated it. the hard drive spins so i know it is not the psu. i disconnected evrything and reseated cards and memory still same thing.

one more thing, fan spins really fast then slows down. no beeps but when i removed all the memory I heard the beeps so I know I have a speaker.

Remove all memory. Install one stick of new RAM (not from the existing memory). Remove the RTC (motherboard) battery and leave it aside for 10 minutes. (I know you performed this step, but do it again - 10 minutes). Try booting.

If the BIOS is messed up, then you may have to ship the computer to the manufacturer OR install a new motherboard.

If you repeat the same old tests the same way, you will get the same old results!

Perform the test with one stick of brand new RAM, or RAM from another computer.

bhend55

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
with no memory I get a few long beeps. with 1 new stick, it doesn't post just freezes at the compaq logo screen with bios version 3.14 in the corner. could I have screwed something up by clearing the cmos wrong?