Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Physx compatibility

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 26, 2010 3:57:23 PM

Hello!

i was wondering, can i use a Nvidia GTX 470 for graphics, and a GT 240 for Physx, and have them in non SLI on a single monitor?

so the two questions are; can you use a GT 240 for Physx well?

and

use them in non SLI on a single monitor? if so how?

PLEASE reply!

thanks

yogman

More about : physx compatibility

a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 26, 2010 4:05:51 PM

Didn't this get covered in your other thread?

yogman said:
but so, could i run Physx with a GT 240 in non SLI with the GTX 470 on a single monitor?

Mousemonkey said:
Yes.

Yes, I think it was.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 26, 2010 4:22:58 PM

You can set up physx by installing both cards and installing the latest Nvidia drivers for your MAIN card. Then install the latest Physx drivers from Nvidia.

After installing your drivers, you should be able to open up the Physx options and under the "settings" tab, there will be a box to "Select GPU for Geforce Physx", click it and then select which GPU you would like to have dedicated for Physx hardware acceleration.

Reference:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/physx-by-nvidia-review/3
Related resources
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 26, 2010 4:36:53 PM

borisof007 said:
You can set up physx by installing both cards and installing the latest Nvidia drivers for your MAIN card. Then install the latest Physx drivers from Nvidia.

The last few drivers since the 18x.xx drivers or somewhere thereabouts include and install the latest PhysX drivers as well.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 26, 2010 4:48:41 PM

Ah, well even easier!
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 26, 2010 4:56:36 PM

The new 25x.xx series drivers have had a GUI revamp which might make the whole SLi/PhysX sorting thing even easier for OP.
May 26, 2010 5:21:50 PM

borisof007 said:
Ah, well even easier!

ok but HOW do you connect two cards to one monitor NOT using sli??

one card for Physx and one for graphics
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 26, 2010 5:26:00 PM

Connect the monitor cable to the card that will be displaying your graphics and NOT the physx rendering (In your case, the 470). The other video card does not have to be externally connected to anything. All it's doing is sitting in the computer rendering Physx.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 26, 2010 5:28:32 PM

yogman said:
ok but HOW do you connect two cards to one monitor NOT using sli??

one card for Physx and one for graphics

The PhysX card is not connected to the monitor only the main card just as when SLi is used with or without Physx.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 26, 2010 5:34:25 PM

I should clarify and try to make this as simple as possible:

Install your 470. Connect your monitor's cable to the 470's display port so that your 470 is the one displaying video to your monitor. Install the latest drivers. Install your 240 in another PCI-Express slot while your 470 is still inside. Do not connect them in SLi, do not enable SLi, do not connect the SLi bridge between the cards.

Once both cards are installed, turn the computer on and the computer should still be using the 470 as your display monitor. Go to your Nvidia control panel and under the physx settings there will be an option to enable Physx and select which GPU you would want to use for dedicated Physx rendering, which in your case you would be selecting the 240 to do this.

May 26, 2010 7:58:17 PM

Best answer selected by yogman.
May 26, 2010 7:58:42 PM

borisof007 said:

Install your 470. Connect your monitor's cable to the 470's display port so that your 470 is the one displaying video to your monitor. Install the latest drivers. Install your 240 in another PCI-Express slot while your 470 is still inside. Do not connect them in SLi, do not enable SLi, do not connect the SLi bridge between the cards.

Once both cards are installed, turn the computer on and the computer should still be using the 470 as your display monitor. Go to your Nvidia control panel and under the physx settings there will be an option to enable Physx and select which GPU you would want to use for dedicated Physx rendering, which in your case you would be selecting the 240 to do this.

THANK YOU!!! nice and simple
May 26, 2010 8:04:38 PM

borisof007 said:

but what if i only have 1 pci-e and 3 pci? oh wait!!! ignor that question
!